z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:20 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“We’ve got a pretty broad selection of topics, though not as much depth as what I’ve heard you have,” Derik said. “Fiction, biographies, science and mathematics, strategy and politics. Our collection has grown exponentially the past few years in particular.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:25 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's good to hear. May I ask where you primarily collect from?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Professor Orsetov writes a lot of them,” Jerica offered eagerly.

Derik glanced at her. He could tell she was trying hard to keep her mouth shut. But Jerica was… Jerica. Hopefully she’d stay harmless at the very least.

“…we’ve been blessed with a very productive scientist in our palace,” Derik confirmed, glancing back at Ash. “As well as other scholars. But the majority of our collection has come from neighboring countries. It’s easiest to get them in unscathed.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Perhaps you'd like some from other Realms as well?" he asked. "We may be able to make some copies for you in return for some of those volumes."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:34 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Rek glanced at Derik hopefully, the first indication of an opinion he’d shown since they arrived.

Derik glanced at his son then back at Ash. “I think we’d like that very much. What sorts of topics would you be interested in? And what genres would you be willing to offer in return?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:24 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Anything, everything. And I'll allow you to choose from my collection--provided they're not journals or anything that might offer Realm or territorial secrets."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Of course.” Derik nodded. “Completely reasonable.” He glanced over at Rek, who had managed not to smile, but only barely so. Derik glanced back at Ash. “Do you have any sort of music books or theory?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Without a doubt." Gaius turned his attention toward Rek. "I take it you're interested in that subject?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:34 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes sir.” Rek nodded. “It’s just a hobby, but one I enjoy.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:40 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Are you a player of music or only a theorist?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:45 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I prefer playing, sir. I’ve only recently gotten into the theory behind it all; my instructor said it would help me improve to study up on it.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"And what do you play?" He glanced between Derik and Rek; they were terribly familiar for some reason. Something about their faces reminded him of Ky, or maybe Zander. Perhaps he'd ask later.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:38 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Um, I’m the best with lutes, violins, and pianos. I’m learning with flutes and harps as well but… those need some work.” He smiled a little.

In reality, he was above average with all the instruments he’d named. But he wasn’t one to brag. Especially not with something he could be asked to demonstrate. Didn’t want that.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:14 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm sure I and my family would be interested to hear you play, even so," Gaius replied with a nod. "Feel free to explore that section of my library, if you wish; we have an extensive collection of music-based books on the third level."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ah, shit. He supposed it wasn’t an unexpected request. Nor was it unreasonable. And yet it was still uncomfortable. He knew how to represent Levin as an Ainsley and was getting increasingly comfortable doing so as a Lieutenant but there was something more intimidating about doing it as a musician. It felt more personal. More likely to hurt if someone had something unkind to say about it.

“Thank you, sir.” Rek nodded to him with a little smile. “I’ll be sure to take a look. Any you’d recommend in particular?”

[they/he]

Change isn't inherently good, but you can't stop it, so let's just enjoy the ride. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— TheSilverFox