z

Young Writers Society

Of Crows and Songbirds (Part 2)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:10 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"So my great-great aunt wrote this retelling, which is why it's the only copy in the world. It was a sort of consolation to herself since she didn't like the way the other stories ended. The original story is a cheesy romance, as are most of the other retellings. But her rendition is very complex--it's about a Count and a Countess of the same territory who are ordered by their Lord to marry--but that would mean only one family in that territory would have the power given to the Countship, and the laws back then said that power would go to Count Ivan, not Countess Esther. They both hatch opposing plots--it's a very enemies to lovers sort of story, but my great-great aunt changed some things like the ending, how they fell in love, what that love meant to each of them. She made it better."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(99!)

“That sounds charming,” Ky said with a smile. “Definitely sounds like it’s worth a read.” Even if it was cheating a bit to claim the only in the world. It was… but it hardly seemed like it was in high demand or particularly valuable as anything other than a family heirloom.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Omg!!)

"I'm sure Gaius has far more obscure books in his library though," she said modestly.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:03 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Doesn’t make yours any less good,” Ky said. “Doesn’t have to be a competition.”’

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:59 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh, it isn't." Constance smiled quickly. "I bear no ill will towards Gaius or his library."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:11 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Of course.” Ky nodded quickly, mirroring the smile, though hers was anxious. “I didn’t mean to be suggesting that, apologies. Just… that I’m sure yours is also admirable in its own right is all.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:14 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

She dipped her head. "It's certainly worth seeing, in my opinion. Any library is."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:30 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes ma’am,” Ky agreed with a nod. “They’re wonderful things… when filled with good books, anyhow.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I have yet to find a library that doesn't have at least a few good books. What libraries have you been to?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:26 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Just personal collections of clients.” Ky shrugged. “Usually not more than a couple hundred books tops, though… except I saw the collection when we went to visit the Grand Reputations. I wasn’t allowed to touch anything though so I have no idea what they had… didn’t really know how to read Moon Speech at that point anyway tho. Yet. I learned that trip.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It's an interesting language." She nodded thoughtfully. "Very different from Upper Tongue, to be sure. More...lilty."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:10 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes ma’am,” Ky agreed with a nod. “I struggled with it. I’m glad it wasn’t the first I tried to pick up; that would have been needlessly discouraging.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:12 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

She nodded in agreement. "How did you find learning Upper Tongue?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:19 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“It wasn’t so bad,” Ky said. “I’m sure my pronunciation probably isn’t fantastic and there are some sounds I struggle with, but it’s the one I’ve learned most recently. The past several have gotten progressively easier to learn. Lots of similarities when you look for them so it’s not terribly hard to pick up.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You sound fine so far," she said. "Rolling the r is a lot of trouble for plenty of people; other than that you speak excelllently."

she/her

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah