z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 11)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon May 30, 2022 1:14 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(FoR sOmE rEaSoN)

“Thanks!” She tried her best to stay calm, but there was an eagerness to her step as she approached his desk and took the letters. There were a lot. That was nice; she’d only been expecting one. She looked down at them all, trying to guess which letter was the one she needed to show Gaius as proof. She was going home. Soon. When? Tomorrow? “… we’ll be able to leave soon now, right? Now that the letters came?”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon May 30, 2022 1:16 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Read the reply before you make assumptions," he replied. "We don't have a guarantee." He tapped his own letter. "Mine will likely say something similar to yours; I intend to read it immediately."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 1:20 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She nodded and took a step backward toward the door, looking back at the letters. Should she leave to read them? Or just do it here, so they could make plans right away once Gaius stopped being a killjoy and admitted she was going home? She didn’t know.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 1:22 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius took a dagger-shaped letter opener from his desk and slit open his letter from Tomhas without ceremony, unfolding it and starting to read. It was several pages long.
Gaius,
I don't even know where to start.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 1:24 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Well, shit, if Gaius was going to just start reading —

She carefully opened the letter that she was pretty sure was Tomhas’s handwriting and began reading.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 1:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hey would you be so kind as to outline some stuff she's mentioned in her letters for me?)

Hey, kiddo,
Wow. You've had a busy month already, huh? I was glad to get your letters--a whole flurry from you and Gaius!--and also concerned. Gods, trolls, the freaking Marrow Man--though it sounds like you turned on the old Kylia charm with him, huh? Good for you!

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 1:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Bold of you to assume I remember lol she would have rambled about how big and slightly intimidating her bedroom was, how kind everyone was being, whined about Zander leaving but very, very carefully so it only vaguely sounds like a complaint and more just a statement, Rönn, the troll, Pratik, too, I think. Explain who he is and how relieved she is that he’s not coming after her. Probably mentioned Ada in passing too in terms of being intimidated by her being a Seer… maybe other stuff but that’s what I’ve got off the top of my head)

Ky smiled at the ‘kiddo’ — she was, wasn’t she? She was his kiddo, forever, even though she wasn’t a child.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 1:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Okay nice)

I'm sorry you lost Zander so soon--I'm sure he's gonna be fine; he's a super strong guy, very clever. I am glad, though, that you've found a fellow who can maybe make you feel secure even if Zander isn't there. I'd very much like to meet Pratik, if he's willing, but if you trust him then I trust him. Give him my regards and gratitude, please.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:02 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky kept smiling and nodded, as if Tomhas could see her to know she agreed that he should meet Pratik. Gods. She missed him. It was so good to hear from him; she absolutely read it in his voice.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:11 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Overall it sounds like you've met some fascinating people at Serpent Keep. Ada sounds wonderful too, and I hope you make friends with her! Seers are the coolest.
I know small talk isn't entirely what you're reading this letter for though, Ky, so I'm gonna move on to the subject of your latest letter and address that, then try and get back on track. I've written more on this to Gaius, but I'm saying this to you as well because you're my daughter and it concerns you more than it does him. I can't in good conscience let you risk yourself to come home, Ky. You mean too much to me and Anneke, and with the unpredictable nature of the Realm right now I can't see you getting here safely. The earthquake hit us too, apparently a few hours before it hit you. Oscar fell off an ice sculpture and broke his leg--he's okay, it was a clean break. I'm not letting another of my kids get hurt in any way. So I'm sorry, but the answer is no. I hope you understand my reasoning.
That being said, I'm told that despite meeting new people you've had a hard time adjusting at Serpent Keep. So against Anneke's adamant protests, I'm coming up to see you before the sun sinks and I'll spend a couple weeks at Serpent Keep. I know that's not ideal for anyone and you'll still be stuck there, but I hope it at least helps a little.

(I've decided Tomhas is an idiot and this will split him and Anneke even further
Cuz at the end of the day he follows his heart and sometimes his heart says to abandon his other kids to go comfort his adopted one)

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Owww)(“see ya Anneke good luck with the infant imma go see Ky and Emery”)

‘I can’t in good conscience—‘? What? What did that mean? That was an odd way of leading into him saying to come home. Her smile faded and her stomach felt uneasy as she kept reading. And then sank entirely as she heard her baby brother got hurt. And then…

‘But the answer is no’

She blinked at it.

The answer is no.

She misread it.

The answer is no.

What?

The answer is no.

Her heart sank into her feet.

The answer is no.

Maybe if she read it again, it would say the right thing.

But it didn’t.

The answer stayed no.

And she stopped reading before she got the following paragraph.

The answer is no.

The answer is no.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:27 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Frankly the more I examine my boy the more I am convinced that he is a loving husband but not a very good one, even without marrying his daughter off to some ass)

Gaius was on page three of his letter, massaging his brow with his damaged hand as he read. He glanced up to see how Ky was getting on and set down the letter. Ah. She must have read what he'd been going through in detail just now.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:30 am
View Likes
Shady says...

( ;-; )

No. No, this was… wrong. This was very, very wrong.

The answer is no.

She couldn’t remember how to read anymore; she was too queasy.

The answer is no.

She glanced up at Gaius, feeling lost in time and space.

The answer is no.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:33 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He returned her stare. "Sara and I did say not to get your hopes up," he said, surprising himself with how gentle his voice was. "He cares about you too much to let you take a risk like that."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:41 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She stared at him for another moment, then looked back at the letter.

The answer is no.

“They don’t want me there.”

[they/he]

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered