z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 6)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Lyra shrugged. "It's my fault for saying yes. I knew Father needed help, so when he came to me with Tarr's offer..." She shook her head, face hardening.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:01 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh… I didn’t realize you’d gotten a choice in the matter,” Ky murmured. That was actually somehow a bit better. Tomhas should have — Ky tried to shake the thought away. It wasn’t her place to critique him. But she still would have thought Tomhas would reject the offer himself. Lyra was fourteen. Ky realized it might sound like she was victim blaming, which she didn’t mean to be, so she continued quickly, “but there’s no way at all you could have known… that either of you could have known… how bad it would be.” She took a breath and sighed softly. “The fault is Tarr’s, not yours. He’s the one who decided to be a…” There was no polite way to end that, and she tried her hardest not to curse unless it slipped out in anger. So she just trailed off instead.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:38 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Lyra stopped braiding her hair and wrapped her arms around herself. "I want to stop talking about this," she said softly. "I want to talk about something else."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Okay,” Ky said with a nod. “That’s reasonable.” She thought for a moment. “Do you like it here?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Lyra nodded. "It's quieter here. And I spent the first year of my life here. I guess that counts for something."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:15 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“That’s true,” Ky said with a nod. She wasn’t sure she was excited for that, honestly. Silence scared her ‘cause it screamed the truth. And she didn’t want much of that these days. Much better to distract herself with Loquitur chaos.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:23 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"And nobody gossips," Lyra added. "Not much, anyway."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:27 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded again. Honestly, she wasn’t sure if that was a positive or not. On one hand, it meant she’d have privacy. On the other, were all of her conversations here going to be purely academic? Would she have much conversation at all? Maybe she needed to get used to silence again. She was good at that. Out of sight out of mind unless she was needed. “That’s nice.”

(This is 100% unrelated but I had a random thought earlier that it could be fun to re-traumatize Ky by making her translate stuff from Aleth, after Gaius and Tomhas send people to raid the house. I don’t have any idea what Aleth’s diary might have in it but thinking about Michael’s had me curious lol)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:56 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

She nodded. "And the kids our age are nice. Arril is a bit stuck-up, but he's alright. They talk more than the adults do, so you might like that."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:56 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“He’s the stable boy, right?” Ky asked.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Yes. He's clever, but I never found him particularly interesting."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:06 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Fair enough.” Ky nodded. “Who is your favorite person here?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:38 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Lyra snorted. "What a question! How am I supposed to choose, Ky? I love all these people like my family. Some of them are my family."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Sorry.” Ky blushed. “I meant of the kids our age. If Arril isn’t your favorite…” She shook her head, embarrassed. “Sorry. It was a dumb question.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:48 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh." Lyra thought for a moment. "Maybe Oria. She's the classic blacksmith type, strong and silent. She came here a couple years ago to start her apprenticeship; she has a lot of skill."

she/her

Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg