z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 5)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:39 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius closed his eyes, curling himself into as tight a ball as he could manage minus his bad leg. He'd try to sleep, and hopefully everybody else would clear out and Laura would lock the door for him.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:43 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(page two already look at us go xD also aww poor guy)

"You should just be honest," Tadaaki encouraged.

"I'm not going to dump this on Zander," she said firmly, standing up. She swayed. Tadaaki wrapped his arm around her. She leaned against him, trying to find her balance. "I just want to go to bed. And... apparently... am getting babysat tonight."

Tadaaki cringed slightly. Was he going to have a guard posted outside his door, too? Part of him hoped so -- he clearly couldn't defend himself nor his family, should there be other assassins lurking around. But it also felt bad. It felt like living under lock and key at Aleth's. "One breath at a time. We're gonna get through this. Together."

"Together." She pushed open the door to the infirmary and walked out, leaning heavily on Tadaaki for support.

Zander stood up, looking them over. She seemed calm. Far calmer than she'd been since the attack. Perhaps Tadaaki was good for something after all.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(And with that I'm off to bed!)

Gaius didn't stir; the poppy was already working on him, relaxing his muscles and his mind. He noted their presence in the room but saw no reason to rouse himself. They would be leaving soon, anyhow.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:18 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Night!)

"Are you alright?" Zander asked, taking a step towards her.

"I'm fine." She glanced at Gaius, laying under the blanket, and got a very, very strong feeling that they weren't supposed to be here. It almost felt like witnessing a crime. Or an affair. Or... or... she didn't know. But she didn't want to be here. "I want to go to bed."

Zander looked at her skeptically, following her gaze. In other circumstances, he might have decided to poke fun at her and ask if she was scared of Gaius reading her mind as he slept. As it was, he wasn't feeling very funny at all. And he wasn't opposed to getting her to bed -- gods knew she deserved to rest after all this. He nodded. "Alright. Let's get you to your room, then."

He strode to the door and pulled it open for her as Tadaaki half dragged half carried her out into the hall.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I'm glad Ky and I feel the same way; it felt like a crime just having him take his boots off in front of someone)

"I'll be in my room just out this door if you need anything," Laura told Ky. "Don't hesitate to ask, and get a good sleep, alright?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:50 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(hahaha Ky like gotta goooo)

“Yes, ma’am,” Ky murmured, nodding to her. “Thank you again.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:09 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Laura dipped her head. "Be well, Ky. And you too, Tadaaki."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:14 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Thank you, ma’am.” Tadaaki nodded to her. He wouldn’t. He was actively repressing his feelings. But they were going to get him eventually. Maybe he should find a different bedroom for tonight. He didn’t want to hurt Aashi or Tasia if he lashed out in his sleep. He’d decked Ky once when she tried to wake him from a nightmare and he still felt guilty about it, even though she’d forgiven him by the time she managed to pick herself up off the ground. He wasn’t going to do that to someone else he loved. He wouldn’t. “I hope you have a nice evening.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:38 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Laura doubted anyone in the castle would now; assassins so close set everybody on edge, even if they weren't targets.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:41 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Tadaaki took the silence as a sign to start carrying Ky too her room, Zander close at their side. Ky had her arm cradled against her chest, trying not to let the pain show.

(Who would be close to Ky’s room? I’m contemplating a screaming nightmare but dunno if anyone would be near enough to be entertaining lol)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Anneliese and Lyra are probably on the same floor. I think the whole family is kinda condensed into one area but the walls are thick stone)

(I've got nothing to add as of now but I'm gonna sign off for a few hours cuz I have a short story due on Tueaday that's giving me a lotta trouble)

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Good luck!)

It didn’t take particularly long time to get Ky to her room, but it took her quite a while to convince Zander and Tadaaki to leave. She was still feeling territorial about her bedroom — and she didn’t want to keep putting on a brave face. She finally got the room to herself, locked her door, and laid down. The instant she pulled the blankets over her, she burst into tears.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:19 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas had discussed matters with Harold; the King had been deeply disturbed and confused by what had happened, but after a lengthy conversation that Tomhas honestly thought could have just taken a couple minutes, Harold had finally been satisfied and Tomhas was allowed to drag himself up to bed. He didn't have the energy to undress, so he just pulled a blanket from the bed and curled up into a ball in front of the fire, cushioned by the rug. He could feel his body wanting to tremble, still, but at the same time he was so immensely exhausted that he simply lay there, limp and miserable.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:43 am
View Likes
Shady says...

It hurt so much. Ky made sure she was silent — she didn’t want the guard posted outside her door to hear her sobbing like a little idiot. Which was fine. She’d gotten good at crying silently, breathing barely even getting heavy. Aleth couldn’t hear. He could never hear. He very strongly ascribed to the “I’ll give you something to cry about” philosophy, and she never wanted him to give her more.

She was too tired to process what had happened. All she knew was that she hurt — physically and emotionally — and she couldn’t keep it together any longer.

Tadaaki took a few laps around the Keep before he could bring himself to go to his room. He insisted on sleeping on the floor — he’d never be able to live with himself if he hurt one of them during a night scare. And he’d bet his entire cottage that one was coming for him tonight.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:49 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

After a few minutes Anneke entered, and she sat down beside him. He didn't notice her presence until she rested a hand on his shoulder, and he flinched.
"It's just me," she murmured, moving her hand up to rest in his hair. "It's just me, Tom." Tomhas drew in a shaky breath, turning so she was cupping his cheek.
"Have the children gone to bed?" he asked quietly, eyes still closed.
"They have." She stroked his face, then kissed his forehead and lay down, fitting herself into the curve of his spine. "They're shaken, scared, but they'll sleep, I think."
"Mm." His body, which had tensed when she touched him, relaxed against her.
"Will you?"
"Maybe. Probably not."

she/her

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler