z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:33 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Does she do things like this often, then?”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I mean, she wanders, I guess. Her head's been all muddy since before I was born." Lyra shook her head. "Father and Uncle Gaius used to both watch her."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Ah, I didn’t realize.” Ky wasn’t sure how much she could dig without being rude. And she wasn’t going to push it. Yet. “She must be fortunate to have brothers who care for her so much.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:07 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I certainly think so." Anneliese sighed. "I miss when we were all happy and we could just visit everyone when we wanted to. War is stupid."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“It certainly makes things difficult,” Ky commiserated. “This war has improved mine and Tadaaki’s lives, but I dare say the same can’t be said for even a single other person.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Lyra nodded in agreement, looking down at her cards. Ever since she'd come home she and her parents had been talking about what would happen to her. She knew her father had told her mother what had happened, and she was almost sure they were both going to call off the marriage. Part of her knew that would only make the war harder to win, but mostly she was just praying that she would never have to see Ithicus Tarr or that horrendous Keep ever again.

(Oh no I just found a way for my actual novel's plot to work better and it's so awful)

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(NO LEAVE LYRA ALONE >.> … do I even want to know what you’re planning to do to the poor girl?)

Ky glanced at Lyra, then looked down at her own cards. Lyra had certainly gotten the shortest end of the stick. Getting married off to a monster like Tarr. Ky couldn’t understand it. For how kind and protective Loquitur was — to sell his own daughter to a brute like that? It didn’t make sense. Her voice was gentle as she added, “But I do hope for everyone’s sake that things begin to improve soon.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Probably not. It's really the whole cast of characters that's gonna be affected..)

"We're certainly keeping our fingers crossed that Father and Uncle come to their senses," Anneliese said with an eyeroll. "Honestly, Mother said they're just being fools. Uncle Gaius got greedy and Father's stubborn as a mule. It'll blow over when they remember they're best friends as well as brothers, right?"
"Right," Lyra said, though she didn't have much hope. Both her uncle and her father were very set in their minds.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:57 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky was silent for a moment, taking in the family dynamics, and once again reveling in how complicated they were. The Loquiturs seemed like a relatively normal family. A loving father with kids and a wife who loved him and each other. Who were comfortable enough to complain about their father like this without fearing repercussions. Which, she supposed, made sense. She hadn’t been afraid of her own father, when he was alive.

But then there was the whole mess with Lord Ash. And Cecily seemed to be a whole new layer of chaos added onto the mess. Ky decided to risk being nosy. “Has your aunt picked a brother to side with?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:04 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I don't think so," Anneliese said thoughtfully. "She doesn't seem to care about the war, from what I've heard. She just wants to spend time with them both."
"Like I said, her mind's not what it should be," Lyra added.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:11 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“A difficult situation all around,” Ky murmured. “I do hope this sudden arrival doesn’t complicate things for your father too terribly much.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:18 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I bet it does." Lyra set down her cards. "His conscience is going to get the better of him and he'll tell Uncle Gaius, and then they'll have to meet."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky tightened her grasp on her cards. She didn’t know why, but the thought of a direct interaction with Ash made her stomach queasy. What if he came here and brought Aleth with him? Or, worse yet, what if Loquitur dragged all of them to Serpent Keep?

She was dead the next time Aleth got his hands on her.

She didn’t need anyone to tell her for her to know.

If Loquitur happened to be around, then he would protect her. At least, he would try to. But what if Aleth somehow got her alone? Or, what if, once they were all in front of Ash, Loquitur changed his mind about protecting her, so that he wouldn’t have to admit Aleth was his spy? Or, what if—?

“Do you think they’ll meet here?” Ky asked, disgusted at how weak her voice sounded.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I don't know," she said thoughtfully. "It wouldn't be strategic for them to meet on each other's turf."
"I bet they pick a neutral area." Anneliese fiddled with her braid. "It's all so silly."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:37 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“That makes sense,” Ky murmured. She hesitated for a moment, thinking through the implications. And also actively refusing to allow her brain to fixate on Aleth. She and Aleth both were minuscule players in this war. Neither Loquitur nor Ash would care much about her or Aleth. It would be fine. “Perhaps once they’re all face to face, it will help ease tempers.”

Or, perhaps not.

[they/he]

Everything I’ve ever let go of has claw marks on it.
— David Foster Wallace