z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:00 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tarr shifted to Plan B, a space nearest to the corner. There was no way for Aleth to win now. "That's game," he said smugly. "Not too bad for your first time, but it's obvious you've never played before." He rose and strode to the door. "Have your things been brought in yet or do you need to be shown to your chambers?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm sure your servants have shown my servants the way by now," Aleth answered, stretching as he stood and followed his host. "But I'm afraid that I am quite ignorant about how to get there."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'll give you the grand tour, then. That way we can pass the time before dinner actually doing something." Tarr opened the door, then turned. "General, you're dismissed. No need for you anymore." Utrid nodded wearily and got up to leave, giving Aleth a small dip of the head.
Tarr watched the much older man departs then stepped out after him. He'd replace him soon enough if the general didn't die of old age. It was only a matter of time.
"Now, then. I believe the steward said he had you set up on the third floor." One floor below his own room.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:09 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Sounds lovely!" Aleth answered brightly, genuinely pleased. Usually, he had to invent stories for why he was creeping around the estate, claiming to be lost or looking for something or other so he could get a feel for the floor plan. It was so much easier when his host willingly handed over all that information. "You continue to be a most gracious host."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tarr grinned at that and led the way down the hall. "This place was built back in 91," he said proudly. "The second oldest Keep in the Realm. The first would be Serpent Keep, of course, but this isn't about the Ashes." Finally, a reason to put all those ridiculous history lessons to use. "It's been under many sieges, but every time it comes out just fine. The sturdiest place I've ever seen--better than the King's Keep, even."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:17 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth noted Tarr's grin, returning one of his own, but it was more of a smirk. So, the flattery was starting to get through. He thought that might be the case. But, he listened to the history lesson. "That's truly impressive. A testament to your ancestors' wisdom, no doubt."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:22 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Wisdom and strength," Tarr agreed. "We could have won the Serpent Keep at one time, but my great-great-great grandfather was close friends with Lord Ash. He wouldn't have gone to war against him. As you can see, I have no qualms about battling some cadaverous schemer."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:25 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth noted how Tarr brought strength back into it. Clearly, that was a recurring theme with him. Important. He'd have to remember that. His mouth quirked up into a smirk. Finally, something they could agree fully on. "Alas, sentiment has ruined the judgment of many men."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:31 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Very true," Tarr said fervently, reaching another set of stairs. "Heritage and the power of the self are all that matter in this world. I don't see the point in wasting time on love and brotherhood. My brothers and I hated each other but we still survived and grew stronger for it. Well, I did, anyway." Sebastian and Hugo had gone off together the moment he'd become Lord, as was customary for the younger brothers of noble Houses. Etha had stayed; she was always a bit of a busy body and liked to hear the gossip of the servants. Tarr didn't mind her; they stayed out of each other's way.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:34 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"As well you should," Aleth answered, still partially flattering him, but also partially agreeing with him. Maybe there was something admirable in Tarr after all. "Younger brothers are as likely to slit your throat as they are to give you a hug, when they realize you're stronger than they ever will be. Threatened pride is a fickle and dangerous thing to contend with."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tarr glanced at him, put off by that. He'd certainly toyed with the idea of doing away with his brothers, but to have a mere acquaintance voice the dangers of leaving them alive aloud...well, he didn't like that at all. "They're far away now," he said gruffly, lengthening his gait. "My sister and my mother are the only ones left, and I have nothing to fear from them."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"No, no, not at all," Aleth recovered quickly, eyeing Tarr as he saw that his comment was ill-received. He sped up a bit, but let Tarr stay half a step ahead. "I wasn't suggesting your lordship is threatened. Simply agreeing with you that love and brothership aren't particularly wise qualities for powerful men to hold. The strength of your will is much too sturdy to fall victim to such blunders."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tarr's shoulders remained tensed, but he nodded slightly. "Certainly. Even marriage is dangerous, in my opinion. People get attached so easily; they let themselves be weakened and made vulnerable by the people they love." His wife's own father had such deep love for his family, Tarr wouldn't be surprised if he made a dangerous misstep on their behalf. Tomhas was a clever man, but he had no head for war. "The law of survival is still true even as we sit in these stone houses and warm our hands by the fire." Now that was an inkling of wisdom. Tarr would have to write that down later.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:47 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth eyed him for a moment. There were so many layers to that comment, and he didn't have time to unpeel them all before he needed to respond to keep the conversation from growing awkward. "Yes, I suppose many marriages are quite the calculated risk, a hope that the benefits outweigh the risks."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:50 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(This is my last one for the night. See ya!)

"In this case I think they will." That much was true. Lyra was young, which meant more time to be spent making children. Second, she came with a massive dowry on the condition that Tarr helped win the war, which was almost guaranteed. Third, she was quite pretty and very quiet, which Tarr appreciated more than he could say. "Are you married, Master Klev?"

she/her

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri