z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I, unfortunately, don't have much time for games," Aleth answered. "I imagine you're quite good at this."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:30 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm passable." He gestured for Aleth to make his move. "I have had quite a lot of practice with games of strategy."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:31 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh?" Aleth asked, not quite buying Tarr's nonchalance. From what he'd seen so far, humility wasn't one of the boy's strong suits. Probably just trying to play it down so he could gloat when he won. "What other games do you enjoy?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Variations on this one. Sparring, mostly, hunting. Anything involving strategy and action." Tarr made his next move.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:47 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Ooh, yes," Aleth answered, watching the board. He still didn't understand what Tarr was building up to, but he figured there would eventually be a moment where Tarr swiftly left him without any options. Aleth considered the board then moved a piece on the opposite end of the board. "What sorts of hunting is popular in this region?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"There are massive elk hereabouts," Tarr replied, glad to be on a topic he properly understood. Money and diplomacy had never been his strong suit, but hunting was one of his true passions. "Sometimes Northern Cats come down from the mountains looking for a meal." He pointed to the taxidermied feline in the corner. Its lips were pulled back in a fearsome snarl and its mace-ended tail was poised to strike. "There are bears and wolves, too, but the best eating is on the elk, for sure."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:56 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth nodded, pretending like he had some common ground here. He'd never seen the appeal in hunting. Why go to all that effort and waste all that time when you could just buy some meat in the market instead?

He moved another piece erratically, capturing one of the pieces off to the side of the king instead of directly engaging him. Aleth nodded his head towards the Northern Cat. "Did you get that one yourself?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:02 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tarr's face fell slightly and he shifted a piece out of the way so his king could move. "My grandfather killed that one," he retorted. "I keep the one I killed in my private chambers."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm sorry," Aleth said softly. So, he'd been close with his grandfather? He didn't linger on it. "What's the kill that brings you the most pride?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:34 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tarr, still keeping an eye on the board, turned slightly and pointed to a massive brown bear that must have been ten feet tall at least. "That one. She thought one of my men would be a meal for her cubs. I cleaved her from shoulder to hip in one blow! Took the taxidermist ages to stitch it back properly." Tarr had nearly lost a limb that day and certainly hadn't gotten through the beast in one hit, but he liked to think he could have. "We got her cubs, too."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:37 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth's eyebrows shot up in surprise -- and skepticism -- but he made sure only the surprise came through. "Impressive!"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:44 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tarr nodded proudly. "The blood of the tribe has always been strong in this House. We're hunters, through and through." He captured one of Aleth's pieces. "We'll have to see how wolf blood mixes with caracal's when I have a son."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:49 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth quickly moved to capture the offending piece, then looked up at Tarr. He'd be cruel if his wife produced a daughter first, Aleth was nearly certain. But, then, that wasn't any of his business, was it? Women were generally good for little else but sex, and even then they were distasteful to Aleth. "I'm sure your influence will ensure the lad is a worthy heir, regardless."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:53 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Certainly, especially when he'll bear my father's name." Tarr slid his king to a space that would be his ticket out if Aleth didn't move. If he did move, however, he would open another immediate route out. He raised his head as a strong, meaty scent drifted under the door. "Smells like boar," he said appreciatively. "We'll be in for a fine feast tonight."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:57 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth stared at the board in frustration as he realized that this was it, the moment when his unfamiliarity with the game was going to lead to gloating. Oh, well. He'd take being better than Tarr at real war over a silly game... but, he was also going to get a copy of this game and make Ky practice with him, so he'd win the game if it came up in the future.

Aleth looked up, also taking a sniff. His gut rumbled greedily and he smiled at Tarr. "Can't wait."

He looked back down and moved a piece a bit further down the board, not an immediate solution, but he wondered if he might be able to cut the king off in a few moves. But, also preparing himself to lose gracefully, if that's what was to come.

[they/he]

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper