Young Writers Society

The Fateful Heart 2

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:42 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James had just finished filling a large barrel with water and working soap in so there were bubbles on the surface. As Evaline walked up, he stuck two washboards in, ready for washing. He had their clothes piled up next to the barrel on a stool.

"It sounds like Kurt just wants someone to talk to," James said as he grabbed his dirty shirt. "And listen to."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:49 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline grabbed her own dirty shirt and sat on the other side of the barrel.

"Lonely makes sense," she said as she dunked the shirt into the water. "But I think he's persistent around us because he's seeking parental figures."

She knew she regretted the words as soon as the words left her mouth. She began to scrub the shirt a little too aggressively.

"Not that we are," she clarified, even though it wasn't needed. "Obviously. But it could explain why he seems to stick around, especially since he said we reminded him of his parents."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:51 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James glanced up at Evaline and then started scrubbing his own shirt against his washboard.

"That's probably part of it too," he said. "He might not pick up on subtlety, but I appreciate his kindness. Even if it's motivated by nostalgia."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:55 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline focused on scrubbing the shirt, deep in thought as the dirt and grime started to wash away.

"Doesn't it bother you?" she asked, changing topics. "Doesn't it bother you that he dislikes all outlaws?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:58 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James shrugged.

"I don't know, I'm kind of used to it."

He paused, unsure if anyone would be within earshot, and did a quick scan of the area. He lowered his voice a little.

"I assume most people think the same way on principle, and if they don't, then I'm simply pleasantly surprised."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline sighed through her nose, looking up at James for a second before scrubbing again.

"That makes sense. It makes sense for people to dislike outlaws, and I don't question that. But doesn't it bother you that he might idolize you one day, then hate you the next if he ever realized who you were?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:05 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The first thought to come to mind was that at this point, he was getting used to betrayal, so it wouldn't surprise him. But he didn't want to have that conversation at the moment.

"I've just accepted it as an inevitability with most people," he said, turning his face to Evaline with a small, closed-mouth smile and closed eyes before he looked back down at his shirt and kept scrubbing.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Most people?

Evaline couldn't help but let her mind linger at those two words. Was she part of 'most people'? She was fairly certain she was not, especially since his spiel of forgiveness back at the tub kept replaying in her head.

"I didn't know you had a cynical side," she said instead.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"It's hard not to get a little cynical when you're in my situation," he said quietly, watching bubbles build up the harder he scrubbed his shirt. He was trying to get all of the dirt and sweat out. Of which, there was a lot of build-up.

"I'd be surprised if someone didn't get at least a little bit cynical."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline continued to scrub, stopping every once in a while to watch as a small stain started to disappear.

"Given your situation, I'm surprised you're not more cynical," she said. "You just don't show it often, or at all."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:20 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James slowed in his scrubbing, just for a moment, and he stared down into the water in thought.

"... I guess I don't," he said, only really coming to the realization himself.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 am
View Likes
Carina says...

"It's good, though," Evaline quickly clarified. "I don't think cynicism suits you."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James stopped washing for a second to look up at Evaline, finding some relief in her response. He then kept scrubbing.

"I'm glad you think so," he said.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:34 am
View Likes
Carina says...

"But I wouldn't blame you if you were more cynical," Evaline added on, not sure what was the right thing to say anymore. "And you shouldn't hold back if you are. But if you're not holding back, then I rather like who you are. But if you are holding back, I wouldn't..."

This was becoming a disaster.

She sighed, biting back a groan.

"I guess what I'm saying is, I like who you are right now, but would prefer if you don't hold back who you really are, if you're hiding it. If that makes sense."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:40 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James bit back a grin, and glanced up at Evaline with smiling eyes, just for a second.

"I mean, I'm not consciously holding it back to my knowledge," James said. "But I do... well, I would say in any situation - even this one - I'm constantly evaluating things. Worst-case scenarios. What I would do if something bad happened. But I don't even really think about those things intentionally anymore. It's kind of just always going on in the back of my head if that makes sense."

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia