Young Writers Society

The Lost City

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Well then.

Aegeas wondered if this was some kind of joke. He was suspicious of the boy - the girl, at least, looked realistically confused. The boy seemed so...exaggerated. Could anyone get that nervous? Well, Aegeas could think of two people, but the first was always anxious. The other that came to mind never got nervous just by meeting people. Then again, the boy acted like he'd never seen an otter before.

"And that's not normal?" said Aegeas. He was half tempted to walk away, but he didn't trust the boy. The boy appeared unharmed, and Aegeas wasn't in the mood to fight, but Aegeas took more of a fighting stance.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Spoiler! :
Heh, your assumption is right, I forgot Lucy was with that group and not the other one. My mistake.

I took her hand, and shook it gently. She was dressed in the same strange manner as the others, and had an assertive energy, however subdued.
She looked at me expectantly, as if scrutinizing me in some way. Whatever she had evaluated, she seemed satisfied by the result.

'We all just woke up here with no memory of how we got here, but it seems like you're in the same boat as us.' said one with scars over his face. 'I'm Bo.' He gestured to the young madam. 'She's Lucy. And we're all confused.'

'My pleasure, Miss Lucy.' I turned to address them all equally.
'You also came...from different worlds? Times? This is most curious.'

Despite my prior disgruntled sentiments, I could feel a little spark light up in me. It was an inherently exciting concept.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo had not considered that possibility. "Different worlds? Different times? What makes you think that?"
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:21 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

"Sounds plausible; I mean, you look like you came out the 18th century, and I'm quite sure I came from the 21st. I have a feeling Lucy is from like, 22nd century and you, my good friend Bo, look like you came outta the 21st century as well." Whether Raiden was correct in his assumptions or not, was irrelevant. He just wanted to prove that they did indeed look like they were from different times - or even alternate universes.
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

59 Reviews

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I nodded fervently. 'It was 1881 when I left home, and doubtless will be when I return.'

These people were from so far as the twenty-first and second centuries? Blessed Jove. I could not waste the opportunity to ask them questions.

'Tell me, has the British Empire collapsed yet? Does the Traitor Empress still hold power underground?' I inquired eagerly.
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

299 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Spoiler! :
anyone going to post? >.> <.<

also, profile for Aegeas: Character Profiles

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:04 pm
View Likes
ellasnotebook says...

"Not where I'm from it's not," Lola said staring up at the otter, who was presumably named Aegeas. Her fear had slowly turned from fear to curiosity, and she stood up straighter to try and meet the otter's eyes. "Where I'm from, otters are about the size of a small dog." Lola continued to gawk at Aegeas before, remembering her manners, she cried, "Oh! My name is Lola. By the way."

299 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

She still sounded genuine. Her claims were strange, but nothing about this day had been ordinary. Aegeas crossed his arms and said, "I can get myself that small. I can look human too. Just not feeling like it. And at least one of you" - Aegeas glared at the boy - "would tell me their name. Good - afternoon? Anyone know what the time is?" He pointed to the ceiling. "I'd look for the sun, but-"

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:51 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo stared at Boris with curious confusion and worry. "I'm not sure that I know of said traitor empress, and London has not fallen. It... doesn't sound like... we're even from the same timeline."

59 Reviews

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:28 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I had to pause to consider it all. It was beginning to occur to me that this world, though bizarre, may not be a dream. It could not be so. I had never dreamed of a London remaining on the surface.
He had really never heard of the- of course he must have- every child knows of the Traitor Empress, shuttered away in her palace.
We must really have been from different worlds after all.
It was forbidden to use her old name. I'd never used it, but remembered it well.
I supposed that if these people were strangers to London, it should be safe to use that name around them.

'You may know her as... Queen Victoria?' Despite it being safe, it still felt strange to break the taboo.

'So you tell me that there are worlds where the crown never waged a territorial war with Hell, the five cities never sunk into the Neath, and the empire carries on as before?'

I chuckled gently. 'I'm sorry, but that sounds awfully dull.'
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:46 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo laughed. "If the world doesn't find trouble in one way, it will in another. Things are rarely ever dull."

59 Reviews

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:15 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I smiled. 'There is no mercy I am more grateful for.'

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:32 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

What had been faux fear suddenly gave into quite genuine confusion; Oliver whipped his head around, looking away from the pipe he was contemplating breaking and instead staring at Aegeas. He looked down at his hands. The fur wouldn't have concealed fractures, right? They should have been clear as day. But there was nothing. No bandages, no eerie little bits of gray peeking out from his fur. So how could he possibly take on the form of a human?

He took a deep breath. He needed to think things through. So not a Sixen? What did that leave? He couldn't think of any other lifeforms that could change their appearance so easily. Was Aegeas part of some unknown race, one that he had somehow never encountered? A distant relative of Sixens, possibly.

"I'm Oliver," he tentatively said. He didn't like not knowing what was going on, especially when there was the possibility that he was dealing with someone that could change their form. He slipped his hand into his varsity jacket and pulled out his phone. He looked at the time. "According to my phone, it's around five in the afternoon."

Then, as an afterthought, "Assuming we're in Connecticut, which I'm getting the feeling we're not."

~v~

Lucy strained her data banks for knowledge of this "Traitor Empress". Queen Victoria was easily recognizable based on the limited knowledge she had been given; she had died long ago, back in England. Interesting. Why would someone from another time be brought to wherever she was? She didn't doubt the claims. It explained the attire and the odd style of speech; she could go with that. Time travel had yet to be invented, but that didn't mean that it wouldn't be invented in the future. But it seemed like there was a little more than that; historical events that certainly didn't line up. Unless, of course, they were never recorded. That was also possible. The Sixens had visited Earth for centuries and people were still divided on their existence.

"We don't have a British Empire," Lucy objected, studying Boris with interest. "We have a United Kingdom, instead. It consists of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Every other country under the British Empire has gained its independence."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Oliver had gone from fear to curiosity in a heartbeat. That could only mean he'd been faking his anxiety. Aegeas took a couple steps back and eyed Oliver with suspicion. What else was Oliver lying about? Why had Oliver looked at Aegeas's hands?

"Probably not, wherever that is," Aegeas said. "Five in the afternoon? It was morning when I went through that door. Is there something you're not telling me?"

59 Reviews

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

'And just as well for them. It seems that the empire was destined to fall, metaphorically, at least, if not literally.' I said, with bemused detachment.

'It may seem strange that I am so close to London and so removed from the empire as a whole- yet understand that where I come from, they are removed as removed can be. The city has sunk far into the Neath, and it has changed tremendously. I am among those who deliberately forsook the surface, and I have given it barely a second thought since. What is called London now is a thousand times more living to me than the cloth it was cut from. But forgive me, now I ramble.'
There I cut my proud speech.

Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic