z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 11)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon May 30, 2022 5:04 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Tomhas should arrive in the next week and a half," he said over his shoulder. "You ought to read the rest of his letter."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon May 30, 2022 5:11 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(It’s so wild to be switching back and forth — Ky has been broken of her ‘yessir’ impulse over here haha)

“…okay,” she said, glancing back at the bundle of letters in her hands. She didn’t want to. Perhaps if she didn’t read any of it, then it wasn’t real, and none of it would happen. Or not. But she still didn’t want to risk it. Especially not now that he’d that. He acted like she should be happy about Tomhas making a wildly stupid choice; what was waiting for her in this letter now that he wasn’t acting like she was supposed to like it.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 5:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(For real though)

Gaius nodded and headed upstairs.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 5:14 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky wandered down the hall until she found an unlocked parlor and let herself in. She paced anxiously but read thorough the letter again, slowing down as she got to the new material.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:48 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

I want you to know that I'm taking your feelings into account with all of this. If I know you, you're probably thinking you're inconveniencing me, tricking me, something like that. You're not. None of this is your fault, Ky, and I have good people holding down the fort for me here at home. Anneke is a little upset, sure, but you're my kid and I want to make sure you're okay. This is my choice and I was glad to make it. I told Gaius that in my letter to him but he's probably as pissed as your mom right now.
Anyhow, all that is to say I love you a lot and I'll see you soon, and I'm sorry that you're going through all this. What a terrible introduction to the Northern Realm! But I did promise I'd get that out of the way and move on to more small talk, so here's some.
First off, the sword lessons sound like a great idea!! I hope you've started them already but if not, I've been told by Ka'Nor to tell you that Bay would be a great fit for you. I have to agree; he's a great guy and very patient. He doesn't open up very much but he's an excellent teacher and listener. So you can rest easy on that subject.
The second order of business--one of our mares is pregnant, it turns out, so I wondered if you might want to lay a claim on the foal. The parents are sturdy animals, the father being a purebred woolly from the Far North and the mother being an ex war horse gifted to me by Gaius a few years back. This horse'll be huge, but both of them have good temperaments so I think it should be easy enough to train and look after. Give it some thought and let me know what you think!

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 2:57 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

The further she read, the more like an asshole she felt. What the fuck was wrong with her? Being so furious at him for caring about her. Claiming she didn’t want to see him. Criticizing his decision, when it was his to make. Not hers.

Well.

The decision to come here was his decision anyway. She felt like the decision to go home was hers — at least it should have been anyway, until he took the choice from her. But he was a big boy. And if he wanted to come here, who was she to say he shouldn’t?

She took a few deep breaths, feeling exhaustion settling in as the anger dissipated — and then she got to the ‘I love you’ and burst into tears. It was too much.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:02 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

In other news...well, we haven't had as eventful a time as you have down there, but that earthquake upset things quite a bit. Only a few farms were badly damaged--and Oscar's leg--but otherwise it's mostly just caused a lot of fear and confusion. Gaius's information helps with knowing the cause at least, but I'm still trying to figure out how to break it to the territories. I'll be writing my Counts after this, I guess. That'll be a chore. I hope nobody up there was hurt too badly! It was only one shock for you guys, right?

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She eventually calmed herself enough to keep reading, even though she was nowhere close to truly being calm.

How was he thinking about sword lessons at a time like this? Absolutely not. She hadn’t wanted them before and she certainly didn’t want them now.

The horse was a nice distraction, but made her feel like an asshole as well. Daughters angry at their fathers didn’t deserve kind gifts. Why was he still giving her one? She clearly couldn’t accept it. Not now.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:12 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Your baby sister has been getting very smart very fast as well. She's only a month old and she's already tugging at your mother's blouse when she's hungry. A clever kiddo to be sure. You're going to be so proud of her when you see her!

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:15 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She roughly wiped her eyes as more tears dribbled from them. These were a bit bitter — a reminder that she didn’t get to be there as part of the family to experience that with her. She was going to be walking before Ky made it back at this rate. And would have no memory of Ky whatsoever.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:23 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Well, as I said before nothing much has happened here aside from the earthquake and the impending foal. So I'm afraid we've come to the end of this letter! Please, please tell me all about Rönn and your adventures when I get there; I'm dying to hear what you've been up to in the time you've been gone. How did you like the library? It's everything we said it would be, I hope? Please tell my niece and nephews I said hi as well, and I did write Lyra a letter but tell her as well. Make sure you two are interacting; I don't want my girls to be lonely!
I love you lots, once again, and I'll give you lots of hugs when I get to Serpent Keep. Hang in there in the meantime; I'll see you very soon. I believe in you, Kylia; you're going to do just fine.
Love,
Father

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:30 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She couldn’t do this anymore. She needed a break. She needed… Tadaaki. She was having too many feelings; she couldn’t handle them by herself. She got up and hurried into the hall. Hopefully he’d be easy to find; she was going to check his room first.

(If she runs into Sara or Sera she’ll probably open up but no pressure)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:45 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I think she might run into Sara)

Sara was coming downstairs from her room; she'd been having a nap while a maid watched over the children.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 3:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

He loved her.

But he didn’t want her.

But her siblings.

But… but…

She was losing the battle against tears again though it was short of a proper sob. She wiped her eyes, staring straight at the stairs as she rushed up them.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:07 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

She was just on the fourth floor landing on her way down to the third when she heard Ky sobbing, and she nearly ran into her as Ky ran up the stairs. She caught her quickly. "Ky, Ky, what's the matter?" she asked, brow furrowed in concern.

she/her

#longlivebigbrother
— alliyah