z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 5)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

No. No she didn’t. But she couldn’t make it alone, and it’d be easier on her pride to accept help now than to get negative attention after she hurt herself for refusing.

“Thank you.” She started to reach out her hand to take his arm, then realized it wouldn’t do shit if she did that. Her arm felt like it was falling off as it was. She wouldn’t be able to bear putting weight on it if she did start to fall. So she awkwardly, slowly turned her other side towards him.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:51 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas got the message and took her other arm, letting her lean on him. "You should get some fluid in you," he said quietly. "Water, tea, something. You shouldn't be this dizzy the next morning."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“You’re probably right,” she murmured, shuffling forward with his help. “I had been on my way, to, well, I mean.” She blushed a tiny bit, but it was faint. Her body didn’t have the blood to spare for her embarrassment. “I mean, it’s not that bad. But, it, um, hurts? A little? And, um, well, I mean, it’s not that bad. But uh… it might be nice to…”

Why was asking for help so difficult? For admitting she was in pain? It felt obscene.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:58 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Once we sit down do you want me to grab you something for the pain?" Tomhas kept his gait at the same pace as hers, by no means wanting to rush her. He wondered just how bad the wound had been.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:00 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I mean… I don’t want to be a bother. It’s not that bad…” She took a shaky breath. She needed to stop. Needed to learn to shut up and accept kindness. “… but maybe? Yeah?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Okay." Tomhas nodded slightly. "How strong? Enough to knock out a horse or just a mouse?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:06 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Hah!” She smiled weakly. “Maybe like a mid-sized dog? I… I think it went most of the way through. And I kind of accidentally hit my arm on the wall. So it… it doesn’t feel great.” She looked down, being sure she wasn’t about to stumble over anything. Except her words. And she was trying to minimize that. “But I haven’t really, um, ever had much medicine?” She hadn’t needed it as a child. She hadn’t been given it once she did need it. “So I don’t really know how much is appropriate.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:07 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas huffed, unable to contain his anger at that. "I'll talk to Laura about it," he muttered. "Gods. Are there any redeemable qualities about that bastard at all?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky tensed at his anger, then realized he was mad at Aleth, not her. “I mean… he let me go into the market three or four times as a reward when I did well and I think he would have let me go more but I accidentally got into a fight with the official’s son… And, um… I mean I learned a lot… but not really… no…”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:25 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas's fists clenched. That shouldn't have been the only good thing in her life during that time. She should have had so many wonderful experiences and learned more than just what made her master happy. "Ky, what would you think about staying at Serpent Keep for a couple months?" he asked after a pause. "With Anneliese, Lyra, Oscar, and Peter along with you. Raina would have to stay here with her mother, but I want the five of you out of harm's way. That's the most secure place I can think of--just until the situation is resolved and we're sure there's no one else coming after you."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:33 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky hesitated a long moment. She wanted to tell him her plan to run away. Tell him there was no point in making plans for her because she wasn’t going to be here. But, then, he might try to stop her if he knew.

“If you think that’s best,” she murmured at last. She couldn’t keep the anxiety in. “I just— I don’t want them targeting there because of me. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if they hurt one of your kids because of me.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:44 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Nobody gets in or out of Gaius's Keep without his say so," Tomhas assured her. "It's entirely up to you whether you stay here or go there. If you think you're in enough danger to warrant extra security, you should go to Serpent Keep. If not, we'll keep you here at home and try to tread extra careful."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:48 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky took a deep breath, then nodded. There really was no winning this. If she stayed here, she put her new parents and brand new baby sister in danger. If she went there she endangered the rest of them. Perhaps she’d agree to go and then use it as her opportunity to slip away. It’d be easier than trying to sneak out of the Keep, no doubt. “… what about Tadaaki?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Tadaaki decides for his family, I think, but they're all welcome at Caracal Keep and Serpent Keep, I'm sure. I'm going to talk it over with Gaius when I go upstairs and see if he's willing to take you in for a little while, if that's what you decide."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:54 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded. “Can I… think about it?”

[they/he]

Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell