z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Hopefully," Gaius agreed. He turned the ball over in his hand, watching the light bounce off its reflective surface. "So you could enter Tomhas's employ if need be? Get close to him?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:31 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Depends on if you think your brother is capable of controlling his mercenary." Pratik shrugged. "Isya will recognize me the instant he lays eyes on me. I'm not particularly concerned by that, since no one knows I'm on your payroll, so I could always pretend like I came up here to work for Loquitur instead... And I suppose I can set my grudge aside until after the war, but Isya and I made a mutual agreement that the next time we meet it'll be bloody. So, if Loquitur can keep Isya from trying to stab me the instant I'm in the gate, it won't be a problem. But I doubt your brother will be interested in hiring me after I kill his assassin if not."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What if I sent you to one of his allies instead? Lord Tarr or House Barraster."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"That might work..." Pratik nodded slowly. He drummed his fingers on the armrest, thinking about what he knew of Loquitur and his allies. "I've heard Tarr is less than judicious, so I'd probably be able to squeeze a fair bit of information out of him... I know nothing of the Barrasters."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"They're quite clever," Gaius replied. "Tarr will definitely be more forthcoming about information, but I would want you to go there as a slave or a servant. They hear more than most, and Tarr will let his guard down if you're not perceived as a threat."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"That's fine." Pratik shrugged again. He'd been in much, much worse positions for his work than simply being a servant. And he wasn't concerned about getting trapped there -- he could easily fight his way out of most any situation. "I can act like a servant, and I have my fair share of scars... so, if you think Tarr would fall for it, we can give it a try. Although I'm not built like a servant. Do you think he would notice?"

Servants tended to be built like average men with an average amount of muscle -- or bulky from spending long hours in the sun with physical labor. Pratik had the physique of someone who was trained to kill.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Slaves often have that physique, though half starved." Gaius fidgeted with the ball again. "If you're comfortable with assuming such a role."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:08 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm more muscle than fat," Pratik answered. "But sure, whatever, I can go on a diet for a while so I look thinner and weaker... what would the story be for why I'm there?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:20 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"There's a slave driver who owes me a favor. We'll add you in with his wares transported north and I'll have it organized so you're given to Tarr. From there you only need to stand by and listen."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Alright." Pratik nodded. That would be easier than trying to get himself into Tarr's estate by himself. He tried to ignore Ash's flippancy towards calling them "wares" and talking about gifting him to Tarr. The slave trade was one of the more heinous things in the world. "And how shall I get information back to you? I don't expect servants will have much access to ravens or messengers."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:31 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You'll meet up with another man I have stationed there. He's called Roland. A very tall man with a bent back. You can't miss him." Gaius set the ball back on the pedestal. "His function is to alert me to visitors in the Keep. You, however, will offer details regarding strategies and conversations. You're to be Tarr's personal aide."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik inclined his head. "That I can do. Shall I encode them, or simply tell him what I've heard?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:36 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I've established a code with him already. He'll explain it to you when you arrive."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Alright..." Pratik took a deep breath, then let it out slowly, thinking through the mechanics. "So, personal aide... you mean, like a follow-him-around-carrying-things or more of a personal assistant that helps him with communications and such? Like... should I know how to read? How smart should I act?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:43 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"We want you to make Tarr as comfortable as possible, so I'd prefer it if you pretended to be illiterate. You'll probably be the former, then." Gaius was fairly sure Pratik would be accepted without argument, but Tarr was a tricky man, prone to rash decisions if he thought someone was stronger or smarter than him. Pratik would have to tread very carefully around the household. "Keep an eye on my niece, Lyra. She's as clever as her father, though she lacks experience. She might notice something off about you if you aren't careful."

she/her

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina