Young Writers Society

Far From Home

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:53 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"So basically, I have time powers, but I'm also an amnesiac," he said.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 am
View Likes
Carina says...

"Basically," Evaline said. "Any other questions before I open the door?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

saint carina, patron saint of rp
—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:56 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

He was quiet for a moment as he let it all sink in, and he told himself his story over and over and over again to make sure he had the details right. If you don't know an answer, say you don't remember. That would at least make sense with what he'd told Elise and Melakae before. He said he had holes in his memory, and now, that was true.

But he did have another thought.

"Not a question," he said a little more quietly. "But... in the event you need any more evidence to give legitimacy and prove that my memory is fragmented..."

He sighed, and lifted his hand to the back of his hand, gingerly feeling through his hair for where the still-healing gash was. It wasn't bleeding anymore, but it wasn't fully closed either.

"I have a head wound," he said.

He didn't feel like saying he had a concussion because he didn't want her to ask how he actually got it. But he felt that it was implied. She could connect the dots.

"Not that I'd remember how I got it," he said. "But if anyone were to check... they'd find it."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:56 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline again listened patiently, waiting for James to finish before she gave a response. Not that she even had much of response.

"Understood," she said, looking at the door.

She had noticed the new scars on his neck and the one on his forehead. Five years had passed. He had probably run into his fair share of trouble. He was probably still wanted.

He wasn't a wanted man here, though.

"Anything else?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"No," he said, bracing himself for the onslaught of questions he was probably going to receive.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 am
View Likes
Carina says...

"Okay then. I'll let them in," Evaline said, already heading for the door. She touched the doorknob, but then looked back to make sure he listened to her final words. "Stay behind me. Don't say anything unless you are asked something or think you have something important to contribute. I can lead the conversation."

James nodded.

And with that, she opened the door and immediately got everyone's attention standing outside.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:49 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James watched as people passed by Evaline by the door, nodding at her or giving her a muffled greeting. If they weren't staring at her, they were staring at him standing next to her. Eventually they all came back in and calm chatter filled the room as the the table filled up with people sitting around.

Evaline led him back at the head of the table where she was sitting at before, and as instructed, he stood behind her chair. The man next to her was prompting small talk, and he only gave James glances. Everyone else did, too. James could see Melakae standing at the opposite side of the room next to Elise. Hendrik, the burly man who he had roughed up earlier, was staring daggers at him. And Malkiel, the air powered man, was sitting next to him, still suspicious.

"Alright, everyone is in now," the man next to Evaline said, and then the chatter in the room quickly subsided. "Evaline? I assume you have the floor?"

She nodded, standing up so that she could gesture back at James.

"Matt was intimidated by everyone in the room," Evaline began. "He just needed some time to speak to someone alone. He didn't lie: he does have a time power. And since I do too, he felt more at ease to tell me what happened. I can tell you that, under his circumstances, he has every right to be afraid."

"So he does have a time power," the burly man, Hendrik, said curtly with a low voice. "Did he prove it?"

"No," Evaline and the man next to her said at the same time. She glanced at him.

"Sorry. Go ahead," he said to her with a small smile.

Evaline took a deep breath. "He can't prove it, even if I wanted him to. Because I found out he's from the past, many years ago before the war. I don't know when, exactly, but it explains his lack of memory, his clothes, and his horse."

Chatter erupted in the room again, and James could only selectively pick out a few voices he didn't recognize.

"How?"

"That's not possible."

"A horse?"

"I thought that was a horse."

"That was his?"

"We all know that memory and time were connected back then," Evaline said loudly to cut through the chatter. "And powers were weaker, too. More limited. That's why he can mainly see the different timelines concerning some people but not others. He told me that he tried to go back in the past, but he somehow ended up in the future. He ended up here."

"That seems far-fetched," Malkiel said, frowning. "That's doesn't even remotely sound possible."

"I don't know what you want me to say," Evaline said, glaring at him. "You don't know how time powers work, and I certainly can't explain how it works sometimes too."

"Melakae said that he came from the ungoverned lands. How do you explain that?" he countered again, holding her glare.

"What did he say about the ungoverned lands?" Evaline quickly shot back, sounding tired.

Malkiel glanced at Melakae, who was clearly grimacing and shaking her hand in front of her neck like she wanted him to stop talking.

Spoiler! :

The man next to Evaline gave Malkiel a long look but then turned to look at James. "What do you know about the ungoverned lands?" he asked.

James turned to the man who'd spoken to him, looking him over. He looked to be around his age, though he was a tad shorter. He was slender, and didn't look to be very physically strong, but he knew that everyone in this room had powers, and he did not. He couldn't measure strength just by appearence anymore.

The man was clean-shaven and had sleek black hair, pulled back in a short, low ponytail at the nape of his neck. His clothes looked white, flowy, and clean. It almost resembled the type of clothing he first saw Evaline wearing. The day he first met her.

He didn't have a name for him yet, but he had a gut feeling. This man was another time mage. No -- he had time powers. And those seemed to be the people with the most authority in the room. At least, apart from him. Because he was new, and he didn't actually have powers.

There was a name Evaline had told him a long time ago. Another time mage. One she'd originally been meant to marry in an arranged marriage before she broke free from the system and joined the rebellion. James couldn't remember the name. "O..." it started with an "o".

Was this him?

"They're dangerous," he said lowly.

The man flicked his eyes between him and Evaline, and Evaline was only giving him a look like she wanted him to keep going.

"And you know that... how?" he asked again.

He had a feeling that the ungoverned lands didn't exist before the war.

"Deductive reasoning," he responded. "It's in the name. Ungoverned."

"He woke up in the refugee rendezvous yesterday," Evaline explained to him. "Melakae and Elise found him and brought him here. It happened by chance."

The man turned towards Melakae this time, gazing at her across the room. "So you told him about the ungoverned lands?"

"Actually, it was me," Elise said shyly, raising her hand. "I'm sorry. He said he was from 'here' so I asked if he meant the ungoverned lands. He heard it from me."

"Ah," the man said, but was interupted before he could say anything more.

"I don't know why you're not as suspicious as Oliver," Malkiel said to Evaline. "You don't even seem to doubt his story."

Oliver. That was the name.

"He has a horse," Evaline said with irritation seeping into her tone. "He doesn't understand technology, his memory is jumbled, and he doesn't look like he's from here. I can't think of any other explanation besides the one he's telling me, and he has no reason to lie."

James wanted to add other logical, completely believable reasons why someone in his hypothetical situation wouldn't share that they were from another time, but he held his tongue, remembering what Evaline said. His voice had no weight here.

"Can he tell us where he might be from specifically? Maybe the last thing he can remember?" Malkiel continued on. "Anything?"

Evaline paused, turning back to James for him to answer this one.

James nodded slowly. "The last thing I can remember was being in the woods. I've always been a wilderness man," he said. "I'm not sure where I was before... but when I woke up near the refugee camp, looking down at the coastline... well, I knew I wasn't anywhere familiar."

"Like I said," Evaline said as she gave James a small nod and then turned back to face the people around the table. "Memory and time were connected back then. It's possible that he lost some of his memories when he jumped to the future."

"Jumping to the future just isn't possible," Malkiel said, continually disagreeing with whatever Evaline was saying. "Right?" He looked back at Oliver, for affirmation.

"I haven't heard of it before," Oliver said slowly. "But we can't rule it out. Like she said, it's not impossible, especially if he's actually from the past. Time powers weren't understood back then."

"Matt also may have a concussion," Evaline suddenly said, changing the subject. "He stumbled from the mountain top and hit his head. So him losing his memory may have come from both reasons."

James could see Elise at the back of the room, standing up a bit straighter so she could see him better. She looked like she felt sorry for him. James didn't meet her eyes. He'd willingly offered that information up for Evaline to use, but he didn't want pity. He was glad, though, that there was another explanation for it. Maybe he could blame everything else on the fall too?

No, that was wishful thinking. He hated having to come up with cover stories for why he was hurt all the time.

"If he's a refugee, he should get that checked out," Hendrik said blankly, narrowing his eyes at James. "Even if he's aggresive."

Oliver nodded. "We can verify that before we adjourn. But for now, I still have a few more questions."

For the next twenty or so minutes, Oliver and several other people in the room continued to punt questions around. At first, they were general topics. His age, what his life was like, his description of powers -- things like that. Evaline filled in the blanks for him, but she turned to him if she thought the answer would be better coming from him. As time went on, he found himself resorting to "I don't remember" as an answer because they were asking things that were too specific. For the most part, though, it seemed that the doubt began to fade. People seemed to believe the story, although many still looked wary of it.

"So what does this mean for us, then?" a woman around the table asked. "How does he fit in the program?"

Evaline stood up a little straighter. "I recommend he get the highest security. The gated community of Terra specifically. I know there are a few open slots."

Chatter briefly filled the room again, and a weak laugh was heard.

"Oh, I thought you were making a joke," Malkiel said sarcastically. "Are you serious?"

James had a feeling some of Malkiel's resistance was personal. Not with him, but with Evaline.

Evaline only stared at him in response.

Oliver tugged at her sleeve. "Can you explain why?" he asked her.

"On a day-to-day basis, his time power is relatively mild," she said slowly. "And Matt is from the past. Before the war. Before the infertility shots. It means he can have children. And I don't think we need to explain how nefarious people would consider him to be a treasured asset."

James blinked slowly as her words registered. It took all of his self control to not say anything or outwardly react. But if he could've, he would've unabashadely said: hold on a damn minute.

Chatter erupted in the room again, but the voices melded all together. All he could decipher was the continued mention of the words "kids" and "children." Even Malkiel looked like he was in shock and didn't disgree with the gravity of the situation. Now James had a million questions. None of which he ever thought he would have.

"That's why I'm recommending Terra," Evaline said loudly to cut through the noise. "It's gated, far away, and secure." She turned to Oliver. "Do you agree?"

He seemed to fumble for words. "If that's true, then yes. But... let's talk about the details after the meeting."

James desperately hoped he would be included in that conversation, but he also had a feeling that was too much to ask. So now he was only wanted because he could have kids? Did that mean they were going to make him have kids? He wanted to trust that Evaline knew what she was doing. She was saying that to convince the others not to throw him to the wolves, or whatever people on earth did to get rid of problems. But by the gods he wasn't prepared for this.

Evaline nodded at Oliver and addressed the crowd again. "This is a unique high-priority case. I'll take care of this one to ensure he gets there safely. But this cannot leave this room. Is that understood?"

There were murmurs of "yes" and it looked like the meeting was coming to an end.

"Great. Then we're done here," Evaline said as she flicked her eyes over at James, then at Oliver. "Let's talk details," she said to him. "First about travel plans. And then about the other details."

"Other way around," Oliver said flatly. "Let's talk details, then travel plans." He got up on the chair. "I'll meet you upstairs to discuss. Okay?"

He gave James a quick look-over but didn't say anything else as he already turned to leave.

Evaline sighed, letting out a small groan before facing James. "He only wants to talk to me," she said even though that wasn't made explicitly clear. "But I have this under control. If you're confused, then that's what I was hoping for, because you should be. You're from the past and don't know these things."

A few people started to approach, so she began to speak quickly.

"Go to Melakae and Elise. Have Elise check your head injury. It'll add as extra verification on your report. I'll be back in a little bit."

James nodded emptily, trying to keep the swirl of confusion at bay and focus on Evaline's instructions. Melakae and Elise. He already met them. That was easy enough. He watched as Oliver pulled down a string from the ceiling to reveal a set of stairs as a portion of the wall pulled away, and then he went up them. Evaline followed, and then the stairs slowly crept back up in place to be flushed agianst the ceiling again.

James blank-facedly turned to search the room for Melakae and Elise, who were on the opposite side of the room, far from the door. Several people started leaving, so he had to push against the current.

He stayed close to the table to leave room, but he found himself bumping into Hendrik. A shot of anxiety coursed through him as he looked up to the tall man, finally getting a good look at him. He was staring down at him, looking completely unamused and annoyed.

He was probably over 6 feet tall, mid-30's, and dressed in all black, in semi-armored clothes. Strong, built, and his dark hair was short and clean cut. He had strong thick brows, dark eyes, and a beard.

James flashed him an apologetic smile.

"Oh. Sorry," he said. Then quickly added. "For earlier, I mean. I... I thought you were attacking me."

"You're lucky you now have a protective status," he said with a deep, gruff voice. "I shouldn't hit the baby man."

James's eyes and smile widened just a little, though his smile waned in its sincerity.

"Love the new nickname," he said sarcastically. "I'm sure that'll stick."

"I'll spread it around," Hendrik said with a smirk, then patted his back a bit too hard. "And next time, don't hit any other war criminals."

He walked away before James could even respond. James watched him go for but a second before he pushed through the rest of the crowd, burying the response he wanted to say. You're not the only one who's a criminal.

He was careful not to bump into anyone else and finally made it to Melakae and Elise. He flashed them a stiff smile as he pulled up a chair and sat down beside them.

"For the record, I didn't remember hitting my head," he said to Elise.

Elise smiled warmly at him, and her gaze fell to the top of his head at his hair. "I'd be happy to check your injury if you want me to," she said.

"I don't think you have much of a choice, doc," Melakae said, staring at James like she was trying to really read him.

"You can look," James said, keeping his expression neutral.

"I'll have to brush your hair back. Is that okay?" Elise said as she walked behind him.

"That's fine," he answered, leaning his head forward a little and mentally preparing himself to suppress anything that tried to surface.

"Alright. Just give me a minute, and let me know if I touch anything that hurts," she said as he felt her fingertips graze his head. "You have a lot of hair. It's really pretty, but it gets in the way of injuries sometimes."

"Makes sense," James said quietly, staring down at the table. He did keep tabs of the others in the room, though. Ones still leaving, and Melakae, who was nearby.

"So, man from the past," Melakae mused out loud as Elise quietly searched his scalp. "How in-ter-es-ting."

"I didn't think anyone would believe me," James said quietly.

"Makes sense," Mel said. "But of course, we all believe Evaline."

"I'm very fortunate, then," he answered.

"She sure knows how to convince an audience," she said, almost under her breath.

If James didn't know better - and he did - he would think Mel didn't buy Evaline's explanation. Of course, he couldn't blame her, but he didn't know what to say by way of defending himself. If Mel didn't speak up during the meeting, then it seemed she wasn't motivated to contradict any of Evaline's story, but he wondered why she was so subtly trying to question him now. There had to be another motive.

"It seems you've known her for some time," James said, deciding to change the subject a little. "Are you friends?"

"Mmm. Yeah, I'd still say so," Melakae continued nonchalantly. "We've known each other for a while. Evaline, Elise, and I all came from Sector 2, which I'm sure you know all about being from the past and all."

"Oh, of course," James replied in an overtly sarcastic tone. "I'm just a well of information."

"That's right." She grinned at him. "You get your information from the air."

"Exactly," he said. "I'm glad you remembered. Because I didn't."

"Hah. More memory than time power, I see."

His eyes widened a little bit when he felt Elise's fingers brush up against the wound. It was still tender. His face twitched, and he very slightly pulled his head away.

"I think," he said tensely. "You found it."

"I'm sorry!" Elise said as she pulled her hand away a bit. "Ah. I see it now. Thank you for telling me." She hesitated. "I can tell you hit your head hard... yesterday."

James could hear the hesitation in her voice. She had committed to their story, but if she really was a seasoned doctor like she said, she could probably tell it wasn't from yesterday.

Maybe he shouldn't have mentioned the head injury at all. It was too late to rethink that now.

"Thanks," he replied, not knowing what to say.

"How do you feel?" Elise asked instead. "Concussed, I assume?"

He could answer that truthfully.

"Yes," he said. "And a blinding headache, among other things."

"You can tell me," she continued gently with her hands still on his head, isolating the wound. "Mel, do you mind if you give us some space? I'd feel more comfortable if I talked to him alone."

"You and your doctor ethics," Mel said with a playful voice, but then stood up straight. "Alright. I'll meet you outside." She paused, grinning at James before she walked away. "See ya later, blasted man from the past."

"I see everyone's creative with nicknames," James said dryly as the door closed behind Mel. There were still a few people in the room chatting amongst themselves, but they were all out of earshot. James couldn't help but feel a little nervous. Elise was probably quickly figuring out that his injuries didn't quite align with his story. He wasn't sure what he could say that would assuage her suspicions. I forgot how I got them seemed like a cheap excuse. It wasn't believable. Was it?

"Eh. I think they're just bored," Elise said, further isolating the wound on his head by brushing his hairs back. "I think they're more excited of the prospect of... well, you know."

James wasn't sure he did know. But if they were thinking the same thing, he didn't want her to say it. Gods, he didn't want her to say it.

"So you're a doctor," he said, changing the subject. "Are you going to stitch me up?"

"It depends," she answered. "Can you tell me what other injuries you may have? You can tell me, fully and honestly. I never reveal private details of my patients."

James's eyes flicked around the room. He wasn't sure if the people around him felt like a safety blanket or the reverse.

"Just my neck," he said, keeping his tone neutral.

"Mind if I take a closer look?"

James had to think for a moment. It was just pulling down his collar a little. That was all that would be necessary, right? No... one of the cuts stretched a little down his back, and there was no way he was going to let anyone see that.

"I think they've just about healed themselves," he said. "Thanks, though."

"You don't need to tell me how it happened," she said gently again. "But are you sure you don't want me to look at it?"

"Yes," he said firmly.

"Okay." She seemed to focus back on his scalp by applying a bit more pressure around her hands. "I can't force you to accept help, but if you change your mind, let me know. I'm happy to help."

"I'll jot that down," he said, before quickly adding. "In my head, since I can't write."

At this point he didn't know if Elise knew he was joking, or if she thought he was being serious. But he also didn't care.

Elise let out a short, airy laugh. It was high pitched. "Good. I'll get started then."

"W-wait," he said. "Are you - are you using a power or--?"

He just wanted to be prepared. He needed to be prepared.

"Oh, sorry. I guess you're my first patient since the hospital, so I assumed you knew," she said. "I'll be using my cellular regeneration power. It will hurt a little, but it's quick, and less painful than traditional stitches."

So, magic. Not that they used those words. But that's what it was to him. He started to nod, but stopped, realizing her hands were still on his head, holding his hair out of the way.

"Sorry," he said quickly. He took in a deep breath. "Go ahead."

"Okay. I'll start now."

James first felt her fingertips graze the wound, and then he felt a hot, aching sensation on the wound. It wasn't hot like fire, but instead felt like a fiery headache that was densely concentrated on only one area of his head. Or like a bullet slowly worming in his head. At least he was used to pain and concealing it.

And finally, after about thirty seconds, it started to subside. His headache only grew worse, but the aching, fiery sensation started to dissipitate. He felt Elise's fingers brush over where the wound once was.

"All done," she said, returning to his side. She tugged at her sleeves a bit, but then kneeled down near him, trying to gauge his reaction. "How are you feeling?"

James closed his eyes for a moment. The headache felt like the close cousin of a migraine. He turned to look at Elise, keeping his pain concealed. Like always.

"Better," he said. It was a partial truth.

"I'm glad," she said with a smile. "I'm sorry I can't heal headaches, but this should help minimize it."

He nodded slowly. "I appreciate it. Thank you, Elise."

"It's my pleasure to help." Elise glanced down at his neck again. "Are you sure you don't want me to look at anything else? Something tells me there aren't a lot of doctors around here, so now's your chance."

James wasn't sure if that was her extending an olive branch or her subtly veiling a threat. His mind couldn't decide. He almost wished Evaline was there to help him tell the difference, but... he still didn't really know her yet. Or rather, anymore.

It had been five years. She'd changed, from what little he'd seen so far. And he knew he had too.

He wondered if anything was still the same. If she still...

He shook the thought away.

"No," he finally said, dragging himself back to the present. "I'm fine. Thank you for your help."

Elise kept her gaze at him for a moment, then smiled wistfully and stood up straight. "Okay. I'm glad you're feeling better, at least."

She looked over at the door. "Well. I think Mel is waiting for me outside. She's going to take me to a place with a number and letter. Nothing as official-sounding as Terra. But maybe we'll cross paths again." She looked down at him, still smiling. "I hope you'll have plenty of time to heal."

James blinked slowly, wondering what the hell that was supposed to mean.

"Thank you," he said, even though, at this point, everything was beginning to be interpreted through a lens of paranoia.

She started to head towards the door, waving at him. "Have a safe journey," she said, and then fully turned around to leave the cabin.

James watched her leave, and he stayed sitting at the table. Over the next five minutes, those lingering in the cabin started to leave, and eventually he was alone. Occasionally, he could hear creaks from the floorboards above him, but other than that, there was silence.

After the hour or so of anxiety-ridden chaos that was the meeting, he was glad for it.

He sighed, and rested his chin in his hands as he waited. And waited. Another ten or so minutes passed, and finally, he saw the stairs come down again from the ceiling. He sat up straight and looked at attention.

Oliver came down first, briskly walking down. Evaline was behind him, taking each step carefully with poised posture.

"I'll stay back for a bit to finish up the reports, but I'm glad we can come to an agreement," Oliver said to her after she took the last step, and then he folded the stairs back up.

Evaline nodded, and then looked over at James. "We'll be leaving now," she said to Oliver, but she was still looking at him.

James got up out of his seat, and pushed his chair in. He looked back at Evaline expectantly. It was like she was trying to have a wordless conversation with him, but she was completely unreadable.

"Matt," Oliver said to him. "Take care of yourself." He gave him a quick nod, then turned back to Evaline, setting a hand on her shoulder. "And you too. Please use your radio more often."

Evaline brushed his hand off. "I'll try," she said as she headed for the door. "Let's go, Matt."

James followed her, glancing back at Oliver, but not saying anything. Oliver stared at him back in the short moment they met each other's eyes.

Evaline opened the door for James, gesturing for him to leave. "After you."

James dipped his head and walked out, immediately snapping his eyes to Elliot, who was still tied up by the tree. He looked fine, and nothing and no one was around him. James couldn't help but sigh in relief.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:57 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline closed the door behind her, quickly skipping down the stairs to see her cat curled up in a ball, sleeping at the base of the stairs and clearly in the way. Out of habit, she jumped over her, and then turned to James.

"Where's Elliot?" she asked.

James pointed to the tree in the distance, and she didn't even hesitate to walk towards there, her feet moving faster than her eyes could see. But after a few seconds and strides, she finally saw him, hidden behind a tree and eating the grass around him.

Evaline found herself walking a little faster until she reached him, feeling another wave of relief wash over her.

"I'm so glad you're okay," she whispered, not sure if it was for Elliot or herself. She hesitated, but lifted her hand to touch him, and he let her pet his snout.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:57 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James hurried after Evaline, following suit and jumping over her cat-like animal companion he still didn't know the name of. He came up beside her as she reached out to pet Elliot's snout, and he felt a strange emotion squirm in his gut. Not quite like he was reliving a memory. But maybe... nostalgia.

James watched as Elliot's ears flicked with recognition, and he pushed Evaline's hand, sticking his face in hers and licked the side of her face, sniffing her hair.

"...He remembers you," James said quietly.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline felt her chest tighten when Elliot seemed to happily let her pet him. She watched his big brown eyes look up at her and how his ears flicked when she scratched the side of his neck.

It felt almost wrong to have this moment. Like she didn't deserve this moment. She had spent a long time convincing herself that she had killed a pet horse.

A horse from a vivid dream, but still. It felt so real. The guilt still hung, even though the other emotions were buried.

"It's strange," she said, her hand returning down to his snout again. "It's like he has no memory."

She felt a bit of regret letting those words fall out of her mouth, but she decided to not think much of it, dropping her hand to her side instead and giving him one last long look.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:07 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James wasn't upset that Elliot seemed happy to see her. He didn't think Elliot had the capacity to hold a grudge when he probably didn't even fully understand what had happened. For all he knew, there was a gunshot, and it spooked him, and he fell into a river.

In a way, it was a relief. It was almost comedic, how easily Elliot seemed to let go of the past and embrace the present. Evaline wasn't hostile, and she wasn't trying to hurt him, so it was okay. It was as simple as that.

Why couldn't his heart be as seldom nuanced as that or a horse?

"It has..." James started slowly. "Been quite a long time."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:13 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Watching Elliot be so calm seemed to bring out a sense of calmness Evaline wished she had an hour ago. She had forgotten how free-spirited and innocent he was. Then again, most pets were like this.

And ironically enough, she learned that from James.

"Yeah," she said, finally tearing her gaze away. "Five years."

She left it at that, and started to walk back towards the base of the cabin where her sleepy feline friend sat, deciding to bend down and shake her awake. And of course, she didn't, but she did stir a bit.

Evaline sighed, poking around the buckled saddlebag around her collar and pulling out a squeaky ball, quickly tossing it so that it would make as much noise as possible.

Immediately, the cat's eyes opened and she sat up, awake and alert. Her ears perked up and she started to dash after the ball, pouncing it as more squeaks were heard.

Evaline watched with mild amusement, waiting for her to inevitably return with the ball. She often did this if naps were taken and she had to wake her up, but it had been a while.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:15 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James let Elliot over to the cabin, but he didn't hurry this time. He watched from a distance at first as Evaline tried to wake her animal companion, and as he got closer, he watched as Evaline took out a ball for it to play with.

Though the sight of it had been intimidating at first, seeing it play like a kitten helped to calm his nerves a little. He stopped a few feet short of where Evaline was, noticing that Elliot seemed wary.

"What's it's name?" he asked.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:17 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline watched as her cat continued to roll around with the ball, and she gave James a glance, repressing a groan at the back of her throat. She wasn't sure she wanted to say.

"You know," she said slowly, her eyes back to being fixated on her cat. "I thought Nye was a dream. I thought you were a dream. I didn't think any of it was real. Until now."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:20 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James had no idea why she didn't answer the simple question, but he decided to return to it in a minute.

"I wasn't sure you were real for a while either," he said softly.

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor