z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I really hope so." Anneliese nodded in agreement. "Maybe if Uncle Gaius brings Sera and Sara along they'll be more civil." Lyra thought that might be accurate, but Aunt Sara and Sera could only do so much.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Hopefully,” Ky agreed. “Do you think he’s likely to bring his whole family along?”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:56 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Anneliese shook her head. "Definitely not. He's got little kids. And Uncle Gaius is crazy paranoid about everything. Assassins around every corner and all that."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky subconsciously rubbed her throat. She didn’t want to deal with them either. Save Aleth the trouble. “Ah… well, good thing your father has one of the best assassins on the continent on his payroll.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Who, Arthur?" Lyra shuddered. "He's definitely supposed to be good. He looks so...I don't know, he just gives me the shivers." There was something about the cold blankness of the man that sent chills down Lyra's spine. She could tell he was a killer.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:10 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“He is,” Ky confirmed. “He’s who Aleth called when — ah — uh…” she hesitated. She probably shouldn’t be talking about this to anyone. And certainly not to noble children. She cleared her throat. “I’ve met many, many assassins. And Isya— er— Arthur is tied for the best I’ve ever heard of. He’s…” Ky didn’t know how she wanted to finish that sentence. Terrifying. Horrifying. Cruel. Ruthless. Nothing seemed to be a good fit just then. “Quite good at what he does.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:18 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's why Father hired him," Anneliese pointed out. "But...just for intelligence gathering. That's all." She hesitated. "You've worked with Arthur before?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:26 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Ah… I mean… with is a strong word.” Ky took a deep breath. “I was more… well, I was responsible for giving him… instructions—“ his hit list “—and compensating him once he completed the task. So… I’ve thankfully never… seen… um, I mean, like, I…….. haven’t properly worked with him, no.”

She mentally kicked herself. This is the exact reason Aleth always wanted her to keep her mouth shut.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh. Was he creepy when you met with him or is he nicer to colleagues?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh, um, I…” Ky hesitated. Creepy was a good word for him. He seemed so dangerously calm. Which frightened her far, far more than the angry idiot assassins Aleth would occasionally hire for unimportant hits, to save money. She knew fully well Isya could snap her neck one moment and be eating a sandwich the next, completely unfazed by what he did. At least, that was the impression she’d always gotten from him. But she sure as hell wasn’t going to say anything like that to one of his family members. Especially one as young as Anneliese. “I was always quite careful to stay extremely cordial with, well, all of Aleth’s clients. But especially the mercenaries and assassins. And Isya—Arthur— has always been…. civil…. in return.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:25 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Civil means you're too polite to say you don't like each other," Anneliese said sagely. "Father told me that once."
"Political terminology is something most tutors don't focus on," Lyra mused. "I'm sort of glad Father insisted on teaching it to us."
"Makes it easier to gauge people." Anneliese grinned. "I'm going to be Lady Loquitur one day, so I'll need those skills."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“It is quite important,” Ky agreed with a smile. Aleth had — perhaps unsurprisingly — also ensured Ky was well versed in such matters. “Noble—“ Ky thought better about complaining about nobles, to nobles. “Well, everyone really. Merchants. Officials. Spies. Mercenaries and assassins. They’re all quite fickle. It’s much safer to coddle their egos.” Ky hesitated a moment, recalling the time she’d gotten into a fist fight with the son of an important man, because she didn’t realize who he was. “I once got into a fight with the son of an official and thought I was going to get skinned alive for the misstep.” She cringed slightly. It hadn’t ended well for her. “Much better to be polite. Much.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Father says the same thing," Anneliese said. "Except we should stand up for ourselves and what we believe in. I don't think a lot of people in the Northern Realm are in the habit of skinning nobles. Plus, we're children so we can get away with a lot."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“True enough.” Ky laughed and dipped her head. She hadn’t had much of a childhood, but she could still remember what life was like before she got snatched. “I certainly used to get away with a lot when I was a child. Fun times.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Very." Anneliese grinned. Lyra smoothed down her skirt, face tight.

she/her

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
— Thomas Edison