z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It was my pleasure." Sara dipped her head. "Is Sera in there, do you know?"

(Gotra go to bed now; goodnight!)
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:49 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Night!)

"I don't," Aleth answered. "One way to find out." He pushed the door open and took a step inside.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara followed, peering inside.
Sera was at her desk in her office, but she rose when she heard the door open.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:52 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Ah, hello," Aleth said when he saw her, offering a polite smile.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sorry for the wait! I just moved into my dorm amd things were hectic before then.)

"Hello." She gave a nod. "You heard she's not in the building, then?" Her eyes flickered to Sara.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:43 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(All good! Congrats and good luck on your first semester!)

Aleth folded his hands atop his cane and silently waited for Sara to respond.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:41 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Thank you!)

"Yes." Sara nodded. "We were just discussing that...may I speak to you in private, actually? About Cecily?" She wanted to know if Cecily had gotten into any of the stronger medicines, but she also wished to discuss Sera's impression of Al and offer her own.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth looked between them, curious to know what it was that Sara wanted to know about Cecily that required privacy. A medical issue? Behavioral? He didn't know. "Ah, should I go?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Not at all. We'll step into my office." Sera waved Sara through and shut the door, then turned to her and lowered her voice. "No, you know I keep that stuff under lock and key. She never touched it; I expect her mind can't take the strain of withdrawal."
"I had figured." Sara paced over to the desk, sighing. "That was more of a clumsy cover...I wanted to talk to you about this new arrival."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth limped to his bed and sat down, then leaned his cane against the wall. It’d be too risky to go to the door to listen. He could move neither quickly nor quietly anymore.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:04 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ah, him." Sera sat down at her desk. "Yes, did you ha e the same feeling?"
"He's crooked," Sara said simply. Her friend nodded in agreement, pursing her lips.
"Gaius suspects as much as wells but I'm not sure he feels the aura about that man. If he returns home we should both speak to him."
"I feel like the longer he's here, the worse it is for all of us." Sara suppressed a shudder. "He needs to go, now."
"But what if he's a spy for Tomhas? We could learn things from him."
"Stop." Sara's eyes flashed up. "You don't honestly buy into this war enough to try and backstab Tomhas the way Gaius plans to? This is a misguided effort, Sera."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth bit his lip, trying to think of what he’d say when they came out. This job was already much tougher than he’d expected, and he wasn’t about to have lost two toes and taken that beating for nothing. He was going to get helpful information out of this godsdamned family if it killed him.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:41 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm well aware of the fact, but so long as we're stuck with the two of them giving each other the silent treatment I'm of the opinion we should try to figure out what exactly the two of them are going to try to do. If one tries to hurt the other I have to be there to stop him, Sara."
"Like you've been doing for the past twenty-odd years," Sara said drily. "Aren't you tired?"
"Always," Sera sighed. "Always, Sara. But Gaius isn't going to look out for himself and both of them are misguided."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:00 am
View Likes
Shady says...

The longer they were in Sera's office, the uneasier Aleth got, and the more tempted he was to try to listen. But he couldn't make out their voices from way over here and he also couldn't think of a convincing excuse for why he should be near the door, should he be discovered. So he settled back against the pillows and folded his hands and waited.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:18 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Gonna fast forward through this conversation cuz it's a lot of the same thing)

A few minutes later, both women stepped out.
"Good day, Al," Sara said to him with a small smile. She was still flustered from her argument with Sera, but not so much that she couldn't pull off a cordial goodbye. "I wish you a speedy recovery."

she/her

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind