z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

She went to the doors, pulling one of them open.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth hobbled after her, making a point of not limping as badly as he wanted to. He wanted their sympathies. But he didn't want to be relegated to bed as a cripple. He needed to be allowed out. Needed to get back to that journal. He put his hand on the door and gestured for her to go through it first. "Please."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:52 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Thank you." Sara bobbed her head and stepped out of the library.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth followed her through, sending one final wishful glance back into the library. He glanced down the hall, hoping he wasn’t pushing it. “I know the way.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh, I insist I see you back. Some of the stairs here are tricky, even with two good feet."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Fair enough.” So much for getting to snoop on the way back. Oh well. He probably couldn’t have gotten away with that anyway, now that his excuse was ruined. “It’s a large Keep.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:11 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"A true maze," she agreed. "I got lost many times when I first came here, actually."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:53 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Where'd you come from?" Aleth asked, genuinely curious.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:18 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"There's a little village in Pawholm," she replied. "I worked as a farmer for my family, and we took Lord Ash and Lord Loquitur in when they arrived during their banishment."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:10 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"That was kind of your family to do," Aleth answered. And, evidently, a good move. Farmer to Lady. Not too shabby.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:43 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm quite glad we did it." Sara suppressed a smile; she could never forget that sharp-eyed young man who had stumbled into their barn with his brother early one morning, begging for food. Emaciated to the point of collapse and half-dead with cold, they were both a sorry mess but something about Gaius in particular struck her as something beyond the shivering youth curled up on the hay. He held himself regally, and intelligence was evident even in his feverish gaze. Sara wasn't the sort to fall for someone she'd just met, but she certainly wasn't going to deny he intrigued her.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:45 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm sure you are," Aleth answered with a small smile. "It seems the two of you must have hit it off."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"We certainly did." Sara walked on. "Evidently so, I suppose. I would not have married him if I didn't care for him."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Of course," Aleth answered. He suspected most noble marriages such as theirs were bourne as an escape from poverty. But it seemed that if they fell for one another before Lord Ash was in fact Lord Ash, then it was likely due to romance instead. "As marriages should be."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:58 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I fully agree." It had been a slow courtship. Gaius worked with Sara's mother baking bread to sell at the market--his leg and hand had prevented him from being of any use in the fields--so he rarely saw Sara in the daytime. Around evening, though, Sara and her best friend Anneke would lay down their hoes and join the brothers under a great pine tree near the edge of the woods by the farm. They would talk of stars and snow and chew on honeycomb bought at the market, wrapped to their chins in furs as they gazed up at the night sky. Those nights brewed something in all four of them, and it wasn't long before Tomhas and Anneke became an item.
With Gaius and Sara it was a bit slower. They became fast friends, naturally, but Gaius was timid, hesitant to engage in anything further than casual banter.

she/her

My one true aspiration in life is to make it into the quote gen.
— avianwings47