Young Writers Society

What the Emperor Doesn't Know

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:53 pm
View Likes
CelticaNoir says...

Kalle | Leinad's shop
"You speak as though I would ever want to go back." Kalle managed a wry smile, adjusting the blanket more securely so her face was better hidden. "Well, you wanted the truth and I suppose I should give you it. I was running away."

"Running away...?" The old man looked perplexed. "What would the Empress be running away from?"

"From a marriage she didn't want, perhaps." Kalle sniffed. "I'm tired of being the old man's jewelry. He treats me as though I don't exist. All I ever wanted was to be free. I never..." She gestured down at her expensive clothing and attire. "...wanted any of this. That's all I have to say."

The man winced, lowering himself to the edge of the bed. "I suppose that I shouldn't be too surprised to hear that." He smiled softly. "Sometimes, though, you can't solve that sort of problem by merely running away."

Kalle looked away. "What am I supposed to do then?" Her whisper was slow, choked. "I can't stay with those people. I was forced into it by my parents, otherwise I wouldn't have been the Empress now. I'd rather be a normal girl than...this."

"There are times, Kalle, when we're given a position that we don't particularly care for, and a lot of people who have been forced into such a situation have used it for the better. There are heroes who had never asked to be heroes, but in taking up their sword, they have freed entire nations."

"What are you suggesting?"

Both of the armorer's eyebrows rose questioningly. "Well, first I should probably ask your opinion of the city and all of its politics. Purification, slavery, the arena... surely you have your own viewpoint on all of this?"

Kalle pursed her lips, gathering up every opinion she had ever had about those. "I...don't believe in those. A perfect city is that where all of its citizens are content and happy. His idea is that as long as anything outwardly perfect, it is completely perfect. But it's not." She shook her head vehemently. "It just isn't."

"Well, then you seem to share my own views, and the views of many others." He paused. "You do hold power, Kalle, even if it's not as great as that of the Emperor or even his son, for that matter. You have influence - if you want my opinion, and I'm not sure you do, but I'll give it anyways, rather than running from your problem, use it to your advantage... or to Pash's advantage. Whichever you wish to go by."

"I am more selfish than noble, I admit." Kalle smiled here. "I'd rather think about myself first than Pash as a whole. But...I believe I understand your point." She took in a deep breath. "I suppose if I run away now, I will have to keep running for the rest of my life."

The man's smile returned, and he gave a slow nod. "Precisely. I'm sure that the tunnels would be more than happy to accomodate you, but you would never be able to leave. One look at your face, and any man or woman in Pash would recognize you." He grew more solemn. "Living your whole life below the earth may be safe, but it doesn't offer much opportunity for much of anything."

Kalle stared at him for few moments, her mouth slightly open. "I didn't think about it like that...I didn't think about it like that at all." She shook her head. "I don't want that. I wanted freedom, not live underground for the rest of my life. I..." She took a gulp, and her voice faded into silence. She could hear people talking beyond the door. The old man glanced at it almost irritably before turning back to her.

"Well, before we're interrupted, I should probably ask you a very important question- one that you cannot repeat or mention to anybody outside of the tunnels. Currently, we're fighting the purification laws- we want to see Pash changed. If you choose to be, Kalle, you could play a very, very important role in the resistance. The tunnels would be yours to stay in whenever you're in need of a rest, and you may come and go as you please." He paused for a moment, features a matter of all types of seriousness. "I'm risking a lot by trusting you with this, and even if you say no, you must swear it on your life to be silent. If you're not, worse may come to worse, and what I've been trying to avoid may be neccessary to keep those in the tunnels safe."

"Why would I say no?" Kalle almost smiled. "If I can change anything, I'll do it. Especially if it'll help me break free of Tharin. Where do I sign up?"

The old man chuckled and gave his head a slight shake. "If I had a book, I'd ask you to sign your name. But seeing as many of our members don't even know how to write their names, that would be problematic, now wouldn't it?" He took her hands, smile broadening. "I think the whole resistance owes you their thanks."

Kalle suppressed a grin and simply nodded. "Just glad to be of help. Oh, and...what did you say your name was, again?"
"Leinad Marsuvis. Papa Lein, as far as the tunnels are concerned."

Suddenly the door opened, and a number of people poured into the small room, their attention swiftly changing from Leinad to herself, none of them well-disposed towards her, understandably. Kalle stiffened.

"Why, isn't it a pleasure to see you here, Empress Kalle?"

Leinad looked up, a subtle scowl etched on his brow. "Be nice, Maura. She's here to he-"

A girl entered the room, cutting him off mid-sentence. "Kaya." Leinad frowned, and she could see why. It was starting to get a little too crowded in the small room. The girl - Kaya - smiled and curtseyed upon seeing Kalle.

"How can we help you, my Lady?"

No, no, please, just Kalle." She winced, slightly disturbed at the use of honorifics everyone was throwing around. Kaya beamed even more broadly.

"Very well, Kalle."

And the room got even more crowded, as, to Kalle's shock, a guard from the castle entered. Had the Emperor sent him? She stared, not quite believing she had been found out so easily. "What in the name of all the Gods and Goddesses are you doing here?!"
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Louarn | Outside Leinad's Shop:

"Draco, honestly," he muttered and kicked at the cobblestoned streets. The other man was on the ground, staring up at him. Lou glared at him. "I don't know why you even bother helping, Leinad."

"Aww, Louie," he slurred, rolling onto his side and trying to get his feet under him. "I gots nothin' else to do, do I?"

Lou gave the other man a disgusted look. "Get you drunk self out of here," he shouted. "I don't care where you go--back to the tavern or home--just get out of here! Leinad doesn't want drunks in his shop!"

He stood there, panting, and stared at a drunk Draco who didn't seem to understand what he was saying. Lou gave the man another disgusted look and went back inside, muttering about stupid drunk men named Draco.

He stopped short in the doorway to Leinad's back room. Kayla, Maura, Rien, Leinad (of course), Dante standing in the doorway....and a strange woman. Lou frowned at her for a moment before he realized who it was. Emperess Kalle sat next to Leinad. Lou could only stare over Dante's shoulder at her.

"Leinad?" Lou asked, slipping into the room past Dante. "Uh, Draco's gone, I hope...and what are you doing with the Empress?"

Riaghán | Palace - His Room:

As I gave my slave a list of orders while not really listening to what I was saying, I leaned against a windowsill and stared out the window. I mostly ignored her while she went off and did...whatever I had ordered her to do. What had I ordered her to do again?

Nevermind. I was preoccupied with thinking about my father. He seemed so...distracted lately. I could only wonder why? Was it all this business with the rumours about a resistance? Or was it just me and my stupid antics again? I shoved a hand through my hair and groaned at the thought. Yes, Father was probably not very impressed with me at the moment.

"My lord?" Asha's vocie pulled my from my morbid thoughts and I turned to see her standing in the doorway to my room. I smirked. Ah, so she knew what I wanted then. I nodded and she disappeared into the room. Shaking. Hm. There is was again. I frowned. That was odd. But then I shrugged, shook my head and followed the slave-girl into my room.

Several Hours Later.

I leaned back against the headboard, watching my slave-girl as she got dressed. Sunlight was creeping across the floor and up the wall. I judged it to be mid-afternoon. She sat on the far side of the bed, her back to me. I let my gaze linger on her as we sat there in silence. Her hands appeared to be shaking and she seemed so nervous. I frowned. That was a fascinating reaction. What would she be so nervous about? I scowled and looked away.

"You're dismissed," I snapped and threw the blankets off me. I stood and got dressed. The girl could find her own way out. She ran from the room and I rolled my eyes. I was going to have to beat that habit out of her. She shouldn't be running away from her master.

A few moments later I heard what sounded like someone throwing up. What in all of Pash? I turned and left my room, scowling. Just who dared to throw up in the palace? A place my father tried to keep clean and pure at all times?

I found Asha out in the hall. The middle of the hall. Bent over and throwing up....all over that beautiful and highly polished marble. I scowled and grabbed her arm, yanking her around. Giving her a disgusted look, I said, "What is this, Asha? Are you sick?" She stuttered something--something I couldn't even make out--and eventually just nodded, eyes downcast. I sighed. "Fine. Go clean yourself up and rest. If I find you sick again, I might decide that killing you is actually worth it. After all, a sick slave is usually a dead one." She nodded again and took a couple of steps. "And maybe a beating wouldn't be bad for you either."

I turned my back on her and retreated to my room. One of the other slaves would clean up the mess later. Right now, I had moping to do. Until Darren turned up, that was. If he ever turned up. I could really do with something alcoholic and packing a kick. Maybe it was time we went out drinking?
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:32 pm
View Likes
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Kestral ¬

I grasped Tib's hand and pulled him away, heading straight for Papa Lein's.

"Kes-"

"Shut up, Tib, you know he scares the hell out of me."

"Why?" I stopped. "Is it because you faaaaancy him?"

I growled. "Shut up, Tiberus." I pushed him in the chest, and then blushed furiously. No, I didn't fancy Xanthe...

"If you say so," He grinned.

I rolled my eyes at him and marched deeper. The candles flickered, and suddenly extinguised.

"Tib?" I felt through the inky blackness. "Tib, can you hear me?" I grabbed what seemed to be his arm.

He shook me off. "I'm fine," He said. "Why wouldn't I be? I mean, I'm not scared of the dark..."

I shook my head and grabbed his hand, blushing even redder suddenly, and I was glad it was dark. "Come on, I think I know the way from memory."

"Where are we going?"

"Papa Lein's,"
Signature Pending

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 pm
View Likes
Apple says...

I am sorry for the late post! I didn't even realise, oh God, I am just plain terrible. Anyways, here I go!

Draco | Outside Leinad's shop:

"Lou!" I yelled at the door in one of my famous, annoying tones. "Louie! There are loins out here, they're-" I hiccupped, giggling as my whole body jumped, "-they're going to eat me." I began to hit my hands against the door until it rattled and the little bell inside tinkled insanely. Something told me that they weren't going to answer me. Groaning, I stumbled away from the shop, swatting at the flies that came towards me. I didn't need them anyway, I could just stroll out into the streets and find me a lady. One that smells of peppermint. I stopped by the fountain, taking a swig of the good stuff. It didn't burn down my throat anymore, but I guess that's because I was a master of the drinking arts. What were they doing in that shop anyway. Planning something, doing something, they had better not be having a drinking party without me. I shook my head, knowing Leinad they were most probably planning.

The sound of footsteps pulled me out of my thoughts. I craned my neck back, looking through the water streaming out of the stone fish's mouth. I couldn't see the figure properly but I could make out some kind of curves around the waist. Was that carpets they had piled up in front of their faces? Oh gods it was, they just get easier and easier to catch.

"Is that the sound of heels of a beautiful maiden padding against cobblestones?" I said loudly, just barely managing to hide the bottle behind me back. The figure came closer but didn't seem to hear me. Oh, playing hard to get are we? I stepped out from behind the fish and tweaked the bandana around my neck. "My lady, your back must be burning because of all that weight, here let me help you."

When I stepped towards them, they moved away. Definitely playing hard to get! "It's fine," Ah, the sound of a princess's voice forced into labour...

"Nonsense, do you want those glorious curves to go to waste? Let me help, the only thing I ask in return is to see your glorious face."

The person hesitated before shrugging. Oh the princess must be traumatized! She must have forgotten her princess code! "Okay," Definitely un-lady like, they piled the fabric into my arms, so that it almost covered the whole of my head. "Here!" A gruff voice said, "My glorious face." Lined skin peered back at me, a scraggly beared hiding most of the man's chin. "Come on then hot shot, my curves be waiting a man's touchin'." The old fisherman burst out laughing. I felt the whole world shrink into a tiny pin-prick of light, my heart stopping for a few beats.

It took me a while before I could even find my voice. "Leinad's right, maybe I should lay off the booze for a while."
I spy!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:48 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Hestia|The Tunnels

"We'll, shall we go?" Maylen asked. It was seven o'clock, and Hestia had just locked up the armour store. The sky was a mass of purple and orange, the evening sunset hiding beyond the city walls, out in the horizon. It was such a pity how the walls blocked out most of life's enjoyments.

"Yeah." Hestia turned away from the door and walked over to Maylen.

Maylen walked over the the staircase door and unlocked it, then motioned for Hestia to go first. Hestia rolled her eyes playfully and walked up them, talking to Maylen over her shoulder.

"That stupid Emperor is irking me, with his false acts of compassion, asking how I like it here, if I enjoy fighting." Hestia scowled.

"Maybe he likes a woman who can defend herself." Maylen joked, nudging her armour.

"No, he hates someone who's stronger than him, and if we were in combat, I'd beat him in a minute. He'd fall flat on his fat bum, crying for me to be hanged." Hestia muttered, resting her hand on her sword.

Maylen chuckled. "Don't let the Princey hear you say that. He might get angry."

Hestia choked back a laugh before she politely knocked on Papa Lein's door.

"Come in." Came his gruff voice. Hestia opened the door to see a number of people. Maylen came in after her, closing the door.

"Hello Papa. I just wanted to say- Empress!" Hestia gasped as she caught sight of the Emperor's beautiful wife., who was in a room with Resistance people.

"Hello Hestia." Kalle said curtly, nodding at her. Hestia bowed politely.

"I needed to talk to you, about my armour." Hestia stammered, regaining her posture.

"It's okay, Hes. She knows." Maura said in an edgy tone, her lips set in a tight line.

"You do?" Hestia shot Lein a curious look.

Papa Lein nodded.

"Well then, what's she going to do? Tell or keep it a secret?" Maylen spoke up, more to Kalle than to Lein.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:41 am
View Likes
eldEr says...

Leinad | Upstairs in The Shop - His over-crowded Bedroom

Empress Kalle nodded. "Just glad to be of help. Oh, and...what did you say your name was, again?"

"Leinad Marsuvis. Papa Lein, as far as the tunnels are concerned." He stifled a chuckle, mind already whirring with the possibilities that had just presented themselves. The resistance had an Empress 'fighting' alongside them-- hopefully, this would help things take a turn for the better. Leinad could practically feel the ache in his back dulling in comparison with his sudden excitement.

The door opened, and a stunned looking Maura stepped into the room. Leinad let out a fluttered sigh-- he could already sense the aching coming back, and with it was coming quite the headache. Eidonias, they couldn't leave him alone for five minutes today, could they?

"Why, isn't it a pleasure to see you here, Empress Kalle?" The girl's tone was dry, sarcastic-- Leinad gave her a subtle, eyebrow-scrunching scowl and shook his head just slightly. "Be nice, Maura. She's here to he-"

Kaya's entry cut him off, Rein at her heels. Why, pray tell, was everybody choosing to pile in now of all times? "Kaya..." Leinad kept his voice low, a warning not to get too excited over the empress sitting next to him on his bed. The last thing they needed to do was startle the poor girl.

"How can we help you, my Lady?" Thank you, granddaughter.

"No, no, please, just Kalle."

Leinad glanced back at her, just in time to see the empress wince. It made Leinad's heart squeeze slightly-- he had seen reactions like that so many times before. They were a sign of unease and discomfort, of secret wars raging in a person's soul and heart. Melodramatic as it sounded, it was true.

"Very well, Kalle." Kaya smiled reassuringly, and Leinad shot her his own thankful smile. Leave it to Kaya to know what to say-- he had taught her well.

The smile faded as Dante popped up by the door, eyes going wide when he saw the empress. Leinad pressed his palm to his face, trying his very hardest to drown out his frustration. Now-- now of all times, they decided to insist on bothering him? At any other moment, he would have been perfectly fine with all of this-- but now? And Dante... oh Eidonias, he was in his guard's uniform. What was he doing here, anyways?

"What in the name of all the Gods and Goddesses are you doing here?!" Kalle's startled tone proved Leinad's theory-- the poor thing probably assumed that he had been sent here by the emperor to hunt her down.

"I came here to..uh..bring Leinad my dagger, it needs fixing,"

Leinad looked up, features serene, voice twice as at-east. "Relax Dante, the Empress is here to join the resistance." It would be good for everybody to just calm down at this point-- better if they would just leave. One would think that a lot of intelligent young adults would figure out where they were and weren't needed, and where and when it was and wasn't appropriate to be in a certain place, terrifying certain people and angering others.

"Oh." Leinad had to supress the urge to roll his eyes at the palace guard.

"Are you part of the resistance as well?" Leinad looked up again at Kalle's question, shooting a side-ways glance at Dante. At least he knew that this particular young man knew how to be somewhat polite. Eidonias help them if Xanthus decided to show up.... he wouldn't, would he? Oh Heavens, please don't let anybody else pop up. Especially not Xanthus... or Tiberius... or even Lou.

"Yes, Empress, I am." Polite and honest. Good man, Dante, good man.

"Leinad?" Lou appeared at the doorway-- apparently, Leinad had spoken too soon. The apprentice stared at the empress, slipping into the room past a still flustered Dante. "Uh, Draco's gone, I hope...and what are you doing with the Empress?"

He would have answered, he really would have, had he had the bloody time to do so. Another knock on the door-- it was all Leinad could do not to stand up and demand that everybody leave at once. "Come in," he forced himself to sound like the same, gentle, patient Leinad that he always was. Sweet Agathia. Hestia stepped into the room, followed by the shop's clean-up man, the ever-trustworthy Maylen.

"Hello Papa. I just wanted to say- Empress!" Hestia gasped, Leinad groaned inwardly. It never passed his lips, but it was most certainly noticeable in his eyes. That was, if anybody cared enough to look.

"Hello Hestia." There was a short exchange of bows and nods between the two, and Leinad almost felt a minor amount of amusement bubble. Almost.

"I needed to talk to you, about my armour..."

Maura spoke before Leinad could answer, tone somewhere between sarcastic and... well, just plain edgy. "It's okay, Hes. She knows."

"You do?"

Leinad felt Hestia's confused stare more than he saw it-- he was eyeing Maura, hopefully transmitting the warning message he had circulating through his head. Had there not been such a large crowd, he probably would have spoken it aloud.

"Well then, what's she going to do? Tell or keep it a secret?"

Leinad let out an exasperated sigh, barely managing to push himself off of the edge of the bed without falling over or moaning in pain. Hestia may have been staring daggers at Kalle when she had spoken, but Leinad was going to answer if it killed him to do so. "Yes, she is going to keep it a secret-- she wouldn't know otherwise, and if she did know and wasn't going to keep it a secret, I'd have the door bolted while I figured out what to do with her." He stared at everybody that was currently in his bedroom in turn. "Now, I'd like you all to meet the newest member of the resistance, Empress Kalle-- or, just Kalle, as she likes to be called-" Leinad met Rein's gaze. It took half of a second to process what he had to do, and Leinad was using his arms to make shooing-motions at everybody.

"If you are not Rein or Kalle, get out. If anybody else wants to see me, tell them that I'll be back in the tunnels later. Please, for the love of Eidonias and the sake of my sanity, do not come back here, and do not let anybody else come back here, unless it's absolutely one hundred percent neccessary. Now out! All of you!" He wanted to soften-- oh Eidonias, he wanted to soften-- but at the moment, he couldn't. Not when Kalle was being overwhelmed and Rein was near hysterics (and masking it quite well, really), and he was in pain. "Honestly, you people are impossible! Tell a man to rest, and when he finally decides to sit down for a few hours, you all flock him! This is why I don't take breaks!"

Everybody filed out, save for the two aforementioned guests, and a hesitant looking Dante. "What is it?" Leinad asked gruffly, wincing as he sat back down.

"Asha... she... uh, won't be in the tunnels for the next couple of days. She's trying to avoid another beating."

Leinad almost felt guilty for half-shouting. The pain was perfectly clear in Dante's voice-- to Leinad, at least. "She has good reason. I wish there were another way to help her, Dante, I really do." He sighed, rubbing his lower back with the heel of one hand. "Now, get out of here-- go plot ways to be chivalrous towards her or somesuch." It hadn't taken long for Dante's attitude towards Asha to shift slightly. There was something... different... about the way the boy looked at the prince's slave, and Leinad was perfectly aware of what that was. He had, after all, seen it many times before.

Dante nodded politely, closing the door behind him.

"I... I'll, uh, make you some of that tea, Leinad."

Leinad blinked, letting relief take over. "Thank you, Rein. And sorry for sending you to get a second jar of it..." He sighed, choosing not to say what he had been about to. But I'm getting old, and Eidonias knows I'll need it. He wasn't ready to speak it yet-- thinking it was frightening enough. There was too much to do before he got old. Far too much. He still wanted to see Asha's child, still wished to see Dante admit his feelings, give his granddaughter away on her wedding day-- great grandchildren... he wanted to at least kiss Kaya's firstborn's head before he passe-- Stop it. Stop it right this very second.

He shook his head, turning to Kalle. "Now, you may want to return to the palace soon. Feel free to rest up in the tunnels for as long as you like, but remember that the emperor will come looking for you, and that can only mean trouble."

"I'll just...rest...for a bit. Just for a bit."

Leinad forced a smile, motioning politely for Kalle to follow him. The two made their way down the stairs, just as the others were filing out through the trap door. Leinad stole a careful look at the door before calling to Dante to stop for a moment. "Show Kalle a nice place to rest before she makes her way back to the tunnels, would you? Everybody else-- leave her alone for now. Kalle, don't use this tunnel without knocking on the bottom of the door first. Wait for somebody to answer-- never push it open yourself. We can't risk anybody we're not allied with finding the tunnels."

She nodded briefly, and Dante closed the trapdoor behind them.

With yet another loud sigh and aching joints, Leinad made his way back up the stairs and to his room. Rein was good for company-- and as far as Leinad knew, he made excellent tea. Bless him.

Asha | The Palace

Gods and goddesses and everything in between. My nerves were absolutely shattered, and if you looked hard enough, you would probably be able to see the shards all over those bloody, all-too-pefect marble floors. I couldn't die-- and I couldn't be beaten. This baby would be born, and it would grow to be a strong young man or woman, whether the prince liked it or not. But how pray tell was I supposed to keep myself from getting sick?

I wiped the tears from the corners of my eyes with the heel of my hand, and then my mouth before turning and taking shaky steps down the hall. Wash up-- I could handle that, couldn't I? I set my uncontaminated hand on my belly, massaging it oh-so-gently with the pads of my fingers. "You're put me through a lot of Hell, you know that, right?" I couldn't even say something like that without my voice sounding gentle and... motherly. Was it just instinct, or was I going insane? Finally snapping under all of this excess pressure?

As unpleasant as it sounded, I couldn't say that I doubted it. I slipped into my stuffy chambers, which was, unfortunately, all too close to the prince's own room. It consisted of a cot and a small vanity with a basin and some tools used for 'prettying me up,' as some might say. Facial paints and cosmetics... only to be used for the most 'special' of occassions, of course. A wardrobe, small and worn out as it was, housed my few changes of clothes. Also for 'special' occassions. Banquets, mostly, among other things. The prince always had enjoyed pulling me around and treating me like some sort of trophy. Of course, all of the 'pretty' female slaves were treated like that. It was like a competition with all of these up-tight, royal, noble imbeciles.

I walked over to the basin, fighting off another wave of nausea as I sat down at the chair. And after I washed, I would do... what, exactly? The chores were done, the prince was... well, he was pleased as he would get for now, Baby was still alive-- oh gods. My earlier thoughts wafted back to me, starting my hands shaking again. Thousands of questions, all of them asked once before not fifteen minutes ago. Did he notice?

No... he would have said something if he had noticed. Or beaten me... Oh for the love of... why were my eyes misting over again? Could I not have a few minutes of emotional peace up in this blasted palace? Or were the hormones already starting to creep up on me tenfold?

Blast it. Just... blast it.

I grabbed at the basin, cupping my hands and trying to ignore the frigid water as it splashed over my face. It didn't have the desired effect. It was just cold water on my cheeks-- not even the slightest bit distracting for even a half a second. Bloody hell, there were tears in my eyes again.

I needed the tunnels. I needed Dante and Papa Lein and the children... I needed Bartimeus to do or say something that would make me burst into laughter, or to hear Eselda wailing or screaming or yelling over something... Lyra's silence, Maura's irritating, snoopy questions and jabs, Xanthus' irritating attitude...

I would never, ever tie myself to a vow to stay in the palace for at least a day ever again. Never, ever again.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:29 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Rein | Leinad’s Home

Rein rested his head against the stone of Leinad’s wall, closing his eyes as he popped his knuckles. Lein sat on his bed, silently sipping at the piping cup of tea in his hands, and watched Rein with careful, gentle eyes. He had known Rein for his entire life, which, by his book, was long enough to pick up on his giveaways when he was nervous. And, by the looks of things--yes, the way he bit down on his bottom lip with that left pearly canine tooth, how he popped his knuckles so evenly in order of finger length and not digit order, and the very soft, low drum of his toes popping against the floor inside his boots--they were all brilliant tics that painted Rein up to be a marvelous mess.

“Is it the Empress that has you anxious, boy?” Leinad closed his eyes and took in the scent of the tea, humming softly in his chest as it warmed his bones. Rein slowly shook his head, the hood of his cloak dropping to his neck and exposing his dark hair.

“No,” he murmured, trying his best, clearly, to be polite through his thoughts, “I feel quite at ease with the Empress--or Kalle, I suppose...I’m unsure which is more proper to regard her as with her being such an incognito asset--being around, though I must admit, Lein, that we’re taking quite the risk in letting her be in both worlds at once. I mean, what if she were to merely muck up once and leave a tile misplaced just an inch? Why, if it were to be seen by a guy like me--”

“--I can assure you, dear Rein, that the Emperor knows of no man quite like you.”

Rein quieted down, looking at his old friend and mentor quite like a puppy that had suddenly registered its own name. He blinked away the thoughts of insignificance that came with any confidence boost--or tried, at least--and slowly nodded. “I...I suppose. After all, it’s quite like me to worry about nothing, isn’t it...”

“Why yes,” Leinad mused, sipping his tea, “yes it is.”

Rein bit into his lip again, letting his eyes roam through the room that was dimming in light as the sun fell. “I feel very on-edge for some reason, Leinad.”

“On-edge, you say?” The old man furrowed his brow and peered at Rein curiously. “What do you mean?”

“I mean...” Rein shook his head, folding his fingers together and looking to Leinad with a sudden release of breath...and then a sudden uptake of wind that made his chest poke out until he coughed. “While it’s nothing that can be founded in science or nature, I have--well, I suppose feel would be the better term to use--a sort of premonition that something very--well--momentous is upon us in the coming days.”

Leinad’s eyes were cast away, then, roaming beyond the walls that held the two men together. Rein would recognize the look anywhere, especially from Leinad--he always got that distance in his eyes when he was considering the power of the moment.

“After all,” Rein said, his boots squeaking together as he shuffled his feet, “our infection, as you’ve called it once, now has passage into the heart of war.”

Leinad’s eyes narrowed, the gray of his eyebrows furrowing as he registered his location. Rein was unsure whether the man had nearly fallen asleep on him or not, but he was certain not to question his mentor. “It will be a very curious day when you learn the power of your words, Rein. You could easily be royalty with that stuttering tongue.” The old man chuckled while Rein hollowed out, his breath thinning as he caught back what the shopkeeper had told him earlier.

Royalty.

The thought made him sick to the core, to the pit of his stomach where, admittedly, there wasn’t enough food for a small child--let alone a grown(?) man like himself. Rein absentmindedly placed a hand on his narrow gut and peered at the door. “Perhaps I should leave you to the night, Leinad.” Rein slowly stood, pulling the hood of his cloak over his head. He leaned in to the old man and placed a half-kiss on his cheek. “Please, rest well. There’s no shame, I think, in taking in what one needs...no matter what weaknesses those needs reveal.” The boy smoothed his sleeves methodically. “I believe I would know.”

Leinad slowly nodded, sagely. “Yes. You’ve given me much to ponder among the stars tonight, so I will bid you goodnight.” He placed the cup down on the table beside his bed and rose--slowly, shakily--to his feet, placing a hand on Rein’s shoulder and staring him straight into the inferno of his eyes.

Then he smiled.

“The first plot in befriending a thief is to speak to one,” he said, and Rein thought he saw Leinad wink--though he couldn’t be sure. “Check the cupboard before returning to the tunnels. I had Draco gather some berries for you a day or two ago. I hope they’ll be to your liking.”

__ __ __ __

Emperor Raijin Tharin

It was curious how swiftly hours passed. Raijin assumed they melted beneath the heat of the sun quite like imperfect cubes of ice, like heaps of gelatinous organs that had been exposed for too long in the daylight. And the Emperor cringed as the unreal stench befell him, tormented his mind. Faced to the wall, robes drawn around his body like a phantom--this was Raijin at his lowest, the man so heavily affected by paranoia and time.

Time was the worst, the strongest of all forces, possibly beyond gods and the sun. But time did not melt ice, did not consume by fire or destroy by wind--it was something much more invisible, untamed and wild as a young horse.

Raijin’s eyes narrowed as the draperies concealing his inner bed chambers rustled, accompanied by footsteps that were much too confident to be truly confident.

“Proverbs tell of only harlots entering beyond the break of nightfall.” It was the voice of authority, of the torment that could drive any man to the crucible for his imperfections.

There was a moment of hesitation, a crack in the flow of Raijin’s breath that his company took advantage of.

“Perhaps it is true that I have found myself wed to such a harlot.”

And, akin to the draperies behind the being, a voice flowed: “You have my deepest apologies, Sire.”

“And tell me what provoked such a vile act as to leave one’s love unaccompanied for hours beyond his recognition?”

“Flowers,” she murmured. So simple, so acute and angular--fit for a seventeen year-old bride like herself. Distractions and simplicity, bundled into a position of unopposed glory.

“Flowers,” he repeated, his voice much more like the tone of an inferno, of a burning cactus blossom in the midst of the desert. “Flowers, in their natural perfection, in their easily amused beauty, have distracted you for hours upon moonlit hours?”

“It was a petal,” she said, “a single petal that did not belong where it was bound.” Kalle neared the Emperor and stopped in the glance of moonlit strands through the window. “A single white bloom among a wild trap of garnet...it intrigued me so that I took the flower into my hands, I brushed it away from the safe place in the soil, and for that single white petal, I held a ceremony beneath the moon.” She drew closer, closing her eyes. “And, beneath moonlight, I set the single pure petal free into the stream--where it could never return to the blood-red bindings of its nature.”

Raijin turned, nothing truly visible on his face but his eyes--raging, entrancing. “There must be penance.” He drew a hand from his robes, revealing a glistening silver dirk. “Penance for sins, for imperfections--a cleansing, as it were.” And his voice was so dark--as charred as the roots of trees in a wildfire, blackened by such a twisted purity that Kalle felt then a chill in her bones. “I must do this, though merciful as a husband to his harlot bride.”

With a gasp from Kalle, Raijin jerked a rope behind him, pulling a gagged-and-tied slave girl from behind the draperies. As Raijin held the rope higher than her breath would allow him, she staggered to her feet.

The girl was nude, clad only in bruises and blood. Black hair splayed across her face where wild, terrified eyes begged for an intervention that she knew wouldn’t come.

“Penance by fodder,” he whispered.

Kalle tensed, shook at the wrists as he pulled the girl closer, so close that his own putrid breath could rot her skin away. And he gripped his twisted fingers through her hair and pulled her neck taut like the strings of a violin, raising the dirk into the moonlight before gouging the drape of skin between her chin and collar, permitting a douse of scarlet drops to cover Raijin’s face.

And the girl dropped to the floor, unmoving.

“Penance, like a merciful god to his children, through fodder.”

Raijin stepped forward, gripping Kalle by the chin and bringing her tear-streaked eyes to attention in his face. “I am your God
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:13 am
View Likes
DSF6647 says...

OOC: The Day of Filth approaches...

Darren | Palace Gardens

"Excuse me, I have some things to look to." The Empresses suddenly said with an incline of her head as she politely slipped off.

“How often young things possess perfection on the outside,” the old emperor suddenly muttered, “But what is inside shows the need for growth and change so they may be perfect in every aspect.” He reached down into the dirt and touched a small flower that was just beginning to grow. Its white petals were like tiny pearls slowly unfolding as the sun rose above. “Beautiful,” Tharin whispered, “Young, and pretty.” He glanced off again after his wife, and then with a vicious snarl yanked the flower from the ground. “But it’s roots are weak, and the need to grow stronger is still there.” With a dissatisfied sniff he tossed the flower to the ground, and resumed his walk.

Darren followed right behind. He didn’t say anything, and just tried to fight his nerves. He is just old and expects a great deal from his subjects, Darren tried to reason, I have nothing to fear from him. “I understand your majesty,” he slowly said, “But perfection can take time. The city, and your subjects will become perfect eventually.”

Tharin didn’t answer. His parchment thin skin was stretched over his face as he slowly turned toward Darren and brushed the young man’s face with his finger. “Beautiful like your father,” the Emperor murmured softly. Darren didn’t move, his blood ran cold as the Emperor’s hand fell away and he gave Darren a cool smile. “Very well young Lord, the Day of Filth is yours.”

Darren did his best to hide his surprise as he bowed and said, “I am most grateful.”

“The crown will receive half your profits,” the Emperor continued, and as Darren opened his mouth to contest a frosty glare from Tharin shut him up. “A most fair deal, as you are the one Lord who will reap the most from this.”

“Of course, most fair,” Darren agreed as the Emperor raised a hand into the air and snapped his fingers together. Moments later an aide came scurrying forward. “See that a Royal writ of authority is given to this Lord, he will tell you the terms it involve.” And with that the Emperor flowed away, leaving Darren to dictate the terms to the scribe. I’ve done it, Darren thought with glee as the scribe began to scribble down what Darren was telling him, I’ve finally done it!

Darren | Stal’Vuth Mansion

Darren’s horse trotted forward as the two great gates slowly creaked aside. His small entourage followed, capes flapping in the air and dust billowing behind as they road into the courtyard. Darren swung off his horse with ease, and Liora followed right behind, jumping off her own grey gelding. He had decided to let her ride the way back, instead of making her run. It was a courtesy, and he wondered for a second if he was getting soft.

Servants rushed forward as the gates closed, and the horses were quickly led away to be brushed and fed. Darren strolled forward, pass the large marble columns and into a large entry chamber. “Liora, go make sure the cook is getting food prepared, I will eat in the garden with it is ready.” She nodded and quickly rushed away, almost looking relieved to be out of his presence. If anything she should feel remorse, Just one more problem for me to fix, Darren thought with a tired sigh, All I ever do is try to help the young girl, you think she could do me the courtesy of actually learning.

He strode across the white marble floors, his shoes click against the smooth surface. Marble pillars were everywhere, holding the structure and the walls were covered with gold leaf worked in with supple woods. Designs and symbols swirled along the roof and walls, creating mosaics and murals along the chamber. The house had been built years ago, and each generation changed or tried to make something better. It was like an unspoken challenge handed down to each heir, ‘What will you do better?’

Darren had yet to decide what he would change, and to be honest he didn’t care. Today was a day of celebration and planning. The Day of Filth was only a day away, and there was much to be done before the momentous occasion. In the morning, hordes of the poor and diseased would be streaming out of the streets to release their filth all over Pash. Most nobles would stay indoors, praying and trying to keep themselves pure from the filth of the peasants. It would only make his job easier.

He strolled out into the garden and quickly began to strip off his clothes before jumping into the pool. The water was refreshing, even revitalizing after the long day. After he swam a couple of laps he hoped out, wrapped a robe around him, and strolled over to a chair while waving a servant over. The young girl ran toward him, scarcely clothed which allowed Darren a nice view of everything as she bounced. He felt his loins stir, and he gently reached out to fondle her backside as he said, “Run and fetch me Garret, the captain of my guard, we have thins to discuss.”

Blushing, the young girl hurried off, and Darren watched her hips sway the whole way. Beautiful. A tall, bear of a man joined Darren a few minutes later. The man was in his thirties, with short cropped hair, and a hard face. His noise was crooked, and a few teeth were missing when he smiled. His barrel chest was bare, and two bands were wrapped around his giant arms. A large sword hung at his side and a cruel glint sparkled in his eye as he came over and bowed. “My Lord,” was all he said.

“We have reason to celebrate,” Darren told the man as Garret straightened and took a seat. “We have permission to go forward with our plans. Tomorrow my men will be the ones the open the gates to let the poor out of the slums. You will need to make sure you have all the men dressed as City Guards. We want as many of them leave as possible, and around mid day we will have a contingent of soldiers block off the entrance back into the slums. The rest will sweep through the city and herd them toward the slums, we will capture all we can, and if any resist too much feel free to kill them. Those who try to flee will run into the soldiers guarding the slum entrance, and like that we will have them trapped.”

Garret gave Darren a toothy grin as he said, “And the nobles?”

“They should all be inside,” Darren said with a simple shrug, “If any are so foolish as to wander the streets then they may be killed or captured. If they have papers you may let them go, but any who claim to be nobility and don’t have proof of it will be taken in. You know the drill.”

Garret let out a throaty chuckle as he grabbed a pitcher of wine on the table and poured himself a glass. The man was ugly, and as far from perfection as possible when it came to looks. But Darren cared less about his looks, and more how the old warrior fought. Garret had been a gladiator years ago, until Darren had agreed to free the brute if he would serve him. Garret had happily agreed, and Darren was able to witness the only form of perfection the man did possess, combat. “We will of course be keeping the slaves in the Arena’s pens. I want them divided up there. The pretty males and females should be kept separate from the nastier ones. I don’t want any of my merchandise getting hurt. Brutes and thugs should be held together, either for the Arena games, or to be sold as guards. Anyone with an obvious imperfection can be killed on site, and those captured will be used as fodder for the games as well. My goal is to have all those worth money off to my slave markets by the following day, if possible.”

“I will get the men ready,” Garret growled with a large grin.

“Make sure they use nets when they can. I want to capture them Garret, not kill them all. There is money to be made here, and this is only the beginning.”

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm
View Likes
Synnoev says...

Leo

I faltered slightly at Essy's impatience, then nodded to myself, straightening up again. "I had been wondering, for some time... if you would want to help me in the hospital ward?" Seeing a frown instantly spread across his features, I continued hurriedly. "I've been needing an assistant for a while now, and I've seen how you are with the younger children. I think it could be-"

"What makes you think I want to do that?" Xanthus' voice cut across me, and I broke off, looking uncertain for a moment. Perhaps my reasons for asking him hadn't been entirely objective; from his frequent visits to the infirmary I'd begun to see him beyond a professional capacity, but surely this was something he would feel suited to?

"But I thought you would want to help? The damage caused each Day of Filth gets worse, and I can't deal with it on my own anymore." I reasoned, hoping this would strike a chord with him and persuade him to help me.

"Maybe it's not the helping that I'm adverse to," he replied. "Find yourself a different assistant." I nodded mutely, my expression crestfallen, then shrugged, putting my hands in my pockets and trying to hide my disappointment. Despite his scorn, I had thought that perhaps he had grown to see me as I saw him, not simply as another member of the Resistance. Clearly, I had been wrong.

"If you change your mind, you know where to find me," I murmured softly, then traipsed off in search of Papa Lein.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 pm
eldEr says...

Leinad | His Shop

Leinad leaned back in his chair, watching the door of his shop with an unblinking eye. The steam from his cup twisted around his lips and found its way to his nose, which wrinkled in protest. The tea didn't have a bad taste, but Agathian lore, did it have an unpleasant odor.

Kaya's footsteps on the stairs roused him from his thoughts. He craned his neck, offering a warm-- if not slightly apologetic-- smile. "Good morning, dear." The moment he had woken, he had gone straight to her room and hung a thick blanket in front of the window. She always had been one to rise the moment a stray beam of sunshine crept into her room, and Leinad had wanted her to get her rest.

"Good morning," she replied, planting a kiss on Leinad's cheek. "Did you..."

"Put a blanket over your window this morning?" He chuckled softy and let his head bob up and down. "I'm feeling a bit better-- wanted to give you a chance to rest while I took care of things down here." He paused for a moment, gaze once again finding itself resting on the shop door. "I don't think we'll open today. If anybody has to ask, tell them that I've come down with a fever."

He used the arm of his chair to push himself to his feet, relieved that it his vertabrae didn't feel as though they were dipping themselves in something acid and then sliding over one another. He scrunched up his eyebrows-- it was odd to think of it like that. At least he still had his imagination.

"Did you get the note I left you?"

"The one about Leo wanting to see me?" Leinad stifled a yawn with the back of his hand and nodded. "I got it. I was planning on going down to the tunnels after I finished my tea." He chuckled quietly, if not a tad bitterly, and pushed himself up. "I don't want a repeat of yesterday."

Kaya took the cup from his hands, setting it down on the counter behind them. "What should I tell Lou and Mayelen when they come?"

"Tell them that they have the day to do what they please." He stooped, a spark of hope igniting when he was able to lift the trapdoor to the tunnels with far more ease than the day before. He cast Kaya a mischievous look. "Preferably, they'll be helping in the tunnels. Be sure to imply that their presence in the underground would be appreciated."

And with that, he had slipped into a darkened hall of dirt and stone, trapdoor closing behind him. He crept into the main room, taking up the walking stick that had been leaning against the wall. A wrinkled nose couldn't be helped-- this piece of wood was a testimony to all who saw him with it. Look! The man really truly is older than merely elderly! Pride-- blast the thing.

He was as soundless as he could be walking towards the boy's hospital room, wary of the sleeping bodies and piles of sheets and blankets about the room. The last thing he needed was for one of them to wake up, which would wake everyone else, and chaos would ensue before chaos typically ensued. Of course, the dim lighting and his bad eyesight were not making things easier for him.

He stepped over a last pair of legs, leaning to bring the blanket down over them again before slipping into the boys' medical area. Leo was already awake, not too surprisingly, examining a jar of Eidonias knew what.

Leinad twisted the non on one of the lanterns as he entered, better brightening the room. Leo's head shot up, and a slight smile tugged at the young man's lips as Leinad sat down on one of the stools in the corner.

"You got your message, then?" Leo asked, setting the jar down on one of the numerous shelves.

Leinad nodded briefly, a hint of his own smile already evident on his lips.

"And how's your back feeling, by the way?"

"Better than yesterday, I'm happy to say." the smile bloomed. "Now, I hear you need an old coot to confide in, or something along those lines." Ha he just referred to himself as an old coot? Eidonias. He still wasn't to keen on thinking it, let alone saying it.

Asha | The Prince's Room

I slipped into the prince's room without a sound, thankful that he was still asleep when I closed the door behind me. For times when I wasn't able to get to the tunnels, this had to be my favorite part of the day. I could go about my chores without fear of him... well, playing the part of the Pashan prince. No yelling, no hitting, no eyes where I didn't want eyes... it may have sounded strange, but it was the one time of day where there was an ounce of peace and my nerves weren't frayed to kingdom come.

I crossed the room, replacing the pitcher on the vanity with the one I was carrying. A folded towel went next to it, as well as a small glass and the basin that was already on the table. I wrinkled my nose-- it really needed to be cleaned.

My chores were carried out quickly, and another slave had orders to bring in a cup of tea in a few minutes. And, of course, I had a few extra things that I would do this morning. A child demanded that I avoided the prince's wrath, and to do so, I would have to subtly suck up somehow. I refused to lose this child-- not after the last.

And that was exactly why I was polishing his dagger, sword already finished and put back into it's respectable place. Unfortunately, just holding the bloody thing was making me nervous as it was-- for some reason, even moreso than the sword. Perhaps it was the fact that in one easy stroke, I could end my master's life-- the fact that I knew that I could handle a safer better than a sword, and that I actully wanted to just slit the man's throat and be done with it.

My eyes flitted up, watching the blankets fall and rise as I started polishing the blade. It would be far too easy... One cut, just one, and he would be gone. I wouldn't be able to watch the movement of his breathing, never have to feel his fists pounding my body... gods and goddesses, it was tempting.

Stop it, stop it right this second. I knew that I couldn't kill him. Pash would be swarming with guards; if they caught me, then both my child and myself would be dead, and if the didn't catch me, someone innocent would take the punishment for me. On top of that, laws would be tightened, the resistance would lose an information source...

I couldn't kill him, unfortunate as it was.

I sighed, already noting that my nerves were fraying yet again. Blast it, the oaf wasn't even awake yet, and my sanity was barely a thread of what it had been upon entering his chambers.

I stopped polishing to examine, looking over the blade and the hilt for even a hint of smear or smudge. Finding none, I rose from my stool and set the clothe down.

The prince stirred, startling me to kingdom come. I froze as his eyes opened, watched them widen when they caught sight of the dagger in my hands. This... well this just didn't look good at all, did it?

Eselda | The tunnels

I was trying not to be scared, I really, really was. I usually didn't wake up until they turned the lanterns back up, but I had a bad dream. Not so bad that I woke up screaming, but bad enough to wake me up. The only reason I even knew that it was morning was because I had seen Papa Lein come walk into the main room. Well, I heard more than I saw, because my face was hidden in my blankets, but it was sort of the same thing, wasn't it?

The lantern closest to me burnt out completely, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed my doll and shot up, wiping some tears out of my eyes. My hand was shaking really bad and my heart was pounding, and there was only one person that I could think about who would make me feel even a little bit safe.

But where was he? I couldn't even see him, and I was getting more and more afraid by the second. I hugged my doll to myself, finally spotting him way back in the corner. All the way over there? I swallowed, counting to three in my head before scurrying over and flopping down next to him, shaking his shoulders until his eyes snapped open.

"Essy? Why... what are you doing up already?" He sounded so groggy, and I felt a little bad for waking him up, but I was still really scared.

I kept hugging my doll with one hand while I wipes my eyes again. "I had a bad dream... and it's really dark, and I know that it's morning because Papa Lein came down..." my voice was getting squeakier, and every single second was making me feel more and more panicked. My arms just sort of shot out up a little, and the moment that Xanthus was sitting up I had myself tangled around him, face squished into his chest. It made the scratch that I had gotten the day before a little itchy, but I didn't even care.

"Can you turn the lanterns up?" I asked quietly, a little embarrassed because my voice sounded so shaky.

"Everybody's still sleeping, Essy."

I looked up, just a tiny bit, and gave him my most pathetic, pleading look. "Just one or two? Or maybe three or four... or five... maybe six?" I even batted my eyelashes a little, which was hard because they were so sticky and heavy from my tears.

Nyeh. Bad writing quality? I has it.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:19 am
View Likes
Sins says...

Tiberius | The Tunnels

It was times like this I dearly wished I had a dagger. It would have entertained me. I was too young for one of them though, apparently. I had no idea what made them so lazy, but the rest of the kids never woke up at a reasonable time in the morning. I was always up at six, and that was at the latest. Why sleep when the sun started creeping into the sky? It was a waste of time. Then again, as I was sitting on the ground and doing nothing but staring at the other kids, I realised I had nothing to do with the time I did have.

I glanced over at Kestral, and for a moment, I considered waking her. I quickly thought against it. She'd have probably kicked my face if I woke her up at this time, plus I had a feeling she was still agitated with me after yesterday. I paused that thought. Kestral wouldn't have been able to reach my face, would she? Especially not with her foot... I was half way through a sigh when I spotted a gap of light trying to break through the top corner of one of the walls. In that moment, the best idea I'd had in a while shot into my head.

After clambering over practically a farm of kids and ambling through a number of tunnels, I came across what I was looking for. Perfect. A tunnel entrance, or exit... depending on what you were in the mood for. After checking that no one was around, I opened the door with as much subtlety as a boy like me could... which wasn't much. I couldn't let out gas without everyone turning their heads, after all. Thankfully though, no one appeared to notice the door creaking. The majority of people were most likely to be sleeping anyway.

After shoving the tapestry thing out of my way, I moved the bookcase that covered the entrance as quietly as I could. This entrance was the best option because there would have been no one in the town's library this early in the morning. Quite frankly, anyone with a life wouldn't have been in here at any time of the day. I could read fairly well, but that was only because I was forced to do so as a child. My parents faces flashed into my mind, but I immediately brushed them away. I was getting good at that.

It turned out I was right. The only living thing in the library was a spider, and that was twitching as though it had been kicked around the place. The library hand't opened yet, and its doors were locked. They were easy enough to unlock though, especially from the inside. I was out of there in seconds, and I didn't think I'd inhaled so strongly in my life. Air. Fresh air. Boy, had I missed this!

There was an enormous smile on my face as I wandered along the cobbled street. There was hardly anyone around, and those who were around didn't take much notice of me. If they did, they merely glanced in my direction. I'd done this plenty of times before, so I knew the dos and don'ts. So long as I stayed away from the shop that always had the aroma of sweetness tinted with something more sour circling it, I'd have been fine. Palace guards often strolled around that area, so that was a no-go zone. If they spotted an orphan roaming the streets, my head would be on a pole in the matter of seconds. As amusing as that would have looked, I wouldn't have been around to appreciate it.

The nightly glow was still lurking in the sky, but the sun was attempting to break through the clouds, so it was easy enough to see where I was going. I didn't think I'd ever been here this early though, so it was a little harder than usual, I had to admit. The ground was damp, so it had obviously been raining earlier on. My legs carried me along the street while my mind subconsciously obliged. I honestly had no clue where I was going, or what I was doing. All I knew was that the fresh air that wrapped around my body was hugging me in a way that--

Something hard tugged on my arm. I cursed. When I spun around though, I didn't need to check my reflection to know that my face had paled. I may not have been the most intelligent youngster in the world, but even a diseased rat would have known who the man now towering over me was. A guard. I then discovered the true meaning of sprinting. Before either of us could say anything, I yanked my arm out of the man's grasp, and then bolted down the street.

"Oi!"

I ignored the guard and kept on running, and seconds after I'd started sprinting, I heard his quick footsteps chasing after me. I'd really landed myself in it. When I passed the shop that was supposed to smell of something sweet with a dash of something sour, I cursed.

"No! You're supposed to smell! Why don't you smell?!"

I ran, and ran, and ran. The guard was yelling behind me, but I couldn't have processed what was coming out of the fool's mouth, let alone process what he was saying. My heart hammered in my chest, and the hard slams of my feet sent echoes all around the practically empty streets. I had to... I... Where was I running to? I had to lose him... I...The shop! Papa Leinad's shop! No way could I have led this man there though... I had to lose him. I groaned. This could only have happened to me, couldn't it?

Xanthus | The Tunnels

"Can you turn the lanterns up?" Essy's voice was a whisper.

"Everybody's still sleeping, Essy," I replied, trying to sound as conscious as possible.

When I lowered my gaze, all I could see amongst the darkness were a pair of hazel eyes focusing on me. "Just one or two? Or maybe three or four... or five... maybe six?" Essy's eyes widened even more as she blinked slowly.

I couldn't say no to that... I hardly wanted to wake any of the others though, did I? Now that my eyes had grown accustom to the light a little better, Essy's face had become clearer. The innocence was drowning in her eyes now. I sighed. Bloody hell, these kids would have been the death of me.

"Just one, okay?" I whispered.

For a moment, her lips curved downwards into a frown, but she must have soon realised that she was lucky to be just getting the one because a smile gradually appeared. I stood up, then lifted her up. She rested her head on my shoulder as I tried to figure out which lantern was the best pick. The majority of the kids were sleeping underneath some, so they were immediately out of question.

"Come on! Please... It's dark." Essy's pleading voice urged my thoughts on. She pushed herself closer into me.

Carefully, I stepped over the unconscious kids, and it was a hell of a lot harder than I first anticipated. It was a surprisingly hard thing to do when you had a seven-year-old in your arms, especially when it was irritatingly dark. I'd probably kicked about six kids by the time I reached a lantern that didn't have many people near it, but one that was close enough to where I slept to have any effect. The second the lightness was increased, Essy was grinning.

"Thank you!" she said, finally removing her face from my shoulder.

As I was making my way back to where I slept, I couldn't help but notice that there was a kid missing. I paused. Who was...? When I realised, I rolled my eyes. Tiberius. I swore that lad woke up at three in the morning or something, not that he went to bed much earlier than that. It was a wonder he slept at all, and he sure made it clear when he was awake. Honestly, that kid needed his head rammed into a wall or something.

It wasn't long until I was lying back down, although this time, Essy was beside me. There was a dripping sound in the distance: it must have rained overnight and the water had seeped through into this place. Other than that, the only thing to be heard was a few sleepy sighs coming from the rest of the kids. What felt like minutes after we lay back down, I could sense myself falling back to sleep.

"Xanthy?"

"Mhmm?" I murmured lazily.

"Why do you speak to grown ups all nasty?"

The soft tone in Essy's voice made my gut turn inside out. Was it that obvious? I knew I wasn't exactly subtle about it around the adults themselves, but I didn't think Essy would have noticed. I didn't want her to think I was some arrogant twat... not that that was wrong. It didn't mean I wanted her to think it though.

My voice was even quieter than hers. "They're... They're just not nice."

"But you're a grown up, and you're nice."

I paused. A dripping sound filled the brief silence.

"No, I'm not."
Last edited by Sins on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:28 am
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Maura Rowe | Market

Rumors bustled through the marketplace. Maura skulked through the shadows, her hood low over her eyes, just listening. She often wandered the city just listening, catching up on the latest gossip, hearing the newest rumors that circulated the populace. It was one of the reasons she suspected Leinad kept her around despite all her rougher qualities. She had her ears to the ground and her eyes on everyone.

"Did you hear of Lady Giseld?" a tall, sullen woman whispered - loudly - to the woman she linked arms with.

Maura hung close behind a pair of women who were well known for their gossip. They were thin, two of the few who managed to hang on to life past being an orphan without the help of some kind soul like Leinad. They were reliable for having information, though rarely reliable for having accurate information.

"Oh yes," the other woman said. "She's 'lost' another pregnancy." She made condemning tsking sounds with her tongue. "And she still wears the symbol of Danina."

Lady Giseld had become quite well known for her mysterious disappearing pregnancies. Almost as well known as she was for being spotted near the home of the corrupt doctor who made secret business of removing unborn babies from their unwanting mothers.

The gossip was old news, and beginning to lose Maura's attention, when they suddenly changed subject. "There's another Day of Filth coming," one of the woman said.

"Yes, there are still several days--"

"No, tomorrow," the woman said, throwing her hand up to stop her friend. "I heard from Ilia, whose boys lurk around one of those new guard posts. The Emperor seems to have it in his head that the gods are calling for a cleansing. Keep your girls hidden, I hear there's to be a trippling of the guards."

Maura stopped in her tracks, her mind racing. She needed a place to hide away. No, first she needed to discover the truth behind the rumors. Then she needed to find a place to hide away, to keep out of the sight of the guards. If anyone discovered her, discovered that she was masquerading as a man... Rein... She shook her head, pushing the thought away. She needn't concern herself with anyone else, now.

You're your top priority, Maura, she reminded herself as she ran toward Leinad's shop. You're the only one that matters.

She came to the shop door, only to find it locked. You don't have time for this. Disappear until it's safe again. She pounded her fists against the wooden door, shouting for Leinad, for Louarn, for Rein or anyone who would hear. Finally, the door opened.

"Maura?" It was Kaya, rubbing her eyes as the brightness from outside spilled into the darkness of the shop. "The shop is closed today," she said. "But you know where to find Leinad if you need him." It was the code to use another tunnel entrance, to find a different way into their secret community, a way that wouldn't attract attention.

Disregarding everything the girl say, she pushed past her, making her way straight for the door that led down into the tunnels. "I need to find Rein," she said, though she hardly recognized her voice saying it out loud. "I need to find Rein." Find him, find Rein, keep him safe.
Got YWS?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:12 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Riaghán | Palace - His Room:

I blinked blearily at the girl standing over my bed only to find Asha. She was standing there with a dagger in her hand and a startled look on her face. What in all of Pash? Oh, gods. That was my dagger. In my slave’s hand. Oh, by the gods. She looked like she had been standing there, contemplating killing me.

Now wide awake, I scrambled upright ad off the bed, putting it between us. “Now, now, Asha,” I said calmly. She kept on staring at me. Oh, yes. This was definitely not my usually self at all. “Let’s put the dagger down, shall we?” She blinked at me. “Asha,” I said darkly. “Put it down.”

I watched her warily as she arched an eyebrow at me. She gave me an unreadable look, lowered the dagger and took a step forwards. I nearly jumped backwards, choking on the yelp that wanted to come out. I think she was going to attack me, but she just walked around the end of the bed, so slowly, past me and returned the dagger to its sheath. I turned, following her every movement. When the dagger was safely back on my bedside table and Asha a few feet away, I lunged forwards and grabbed her wrist, dragging her away from the weapons.

“Don’t you ever do that again,” I snarled, throwing her into the bed. She made an ‘oof’ sound as she sprawled on the bed. “Gods,” I muttered, running a hand over my face. Slaves. They were nothing but trouble.

“M’lord?” Asha’s voice was almost inaudible and slightly questioning. I glared at her and she cringed back against the bed, eyes closed. I shook my head, pacing back and forth in front of her.

“You are never to clean my weapons again!” I shouted, suddenly rounding on her. She jumped. And then she was back to her shaky, nervous self. Good. It was better than that strange look she had given me a few moments ago. “Do you hear me?”

“Y-yes, M’lord,” she muttered, still cringing into the bed. I sighed, shoving a hand through my hair. Curse this slave. I should never have let Darren coax me into buying her. I gave her another glare, making she I took note of whether or not she had any more weapons. She didn’t.

“Now get out!” I yelled, kicking the bed and making her start. She flinched and, while sobbing, crawled off the bed and fled the room. Once she was gone, I massaged my temples. I had definitely drunk too much last night, and could feel a headache coming on. Just wonderful.

((Lili post coming soon....as soon as I figure out what she's supposed doing at Darren's Mansion....))
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Kestral ¬

Light seeped through my eyelids. I groaned and opened my eyes, shading them against the light. I didn't get up. I lay there, soaking up the warmth and waiting until my eyes adjusted to the light.

"Tib?" I reached out my hand to his bed, the one closest to me, intending to brush my hand against his, then stopped. I withdrew my hand and buried my self further into the covers. "Tib, I know your my best friend..." I faltered for a second. "You're my very, best, best friend, but... have you ever had a girlfriend?" I paushed. I heard him roll over and took it as a shrug. "It doesn't matter, of course, I was just wondering." I wonder what she was like? Was she pretty? I bet she was. All curvy and blonde and perfect blue eyes, not different colours like mine. I bet she was rich and clean and clever and posh. I sighed. "Are you getting me anything? For the Day of Filfth, I mean. I'm getting you something for deffinate. I don't know... it won't be anything big but..." I shook my head and shuffled closer. "I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me?" I blushed. "As in, up out of the tunnels for a day. We could go anywhere. I mean, I've saved up." I paused. "Tib? I pushed myself up onto one elbow. "Tib?" I sat up properly and pulled the covers back. No Tib. I'd been talking to thin air. I sighed and got up. It was then I noticed Xanthe.
"Oh..." I froze. He'd heard everything. "I-I-..." I stumbled backwards away from him and fell, sprawling over my bed.

"Kestral?" I'd never really listened to Xanthe's voice: it was as dark and velvety as dark chocolate. I shuddered. Perfect for persuading someone.

"I... I didn't realise...you..." I stood up, gangly and as wide eyed as a baby deer, and gazed at him. "W- ... Where's Tib?" I glanced at the sleeping Essy and cringed. How could she be so close to him? But my fear lessened slightly as I looked at him, and I could definatly understand some of the rumours about him being very flirtatious: he looked just like that kind of person. I felt like a fly being led into a Venus Fly Trap. I shook myself. "So... where is he?" I managed a small smile.
Signature Pending

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 pm
DSF6647 says...

Darren | His Home

The sun was only just rising, its golden rays sending shoots of color all over Pash. Rooftops glittered and sparkled and the morning shadows began to vanish as the sun rose. Darren was completing his twentieth circuit of the pool, and as he finished he slowly stepped out and stretched. The cool morning air felt good on his naked skin, and he just stood there, relishing the morning.

He felt so alive. Maybe it was because of what was going to happen tomorrow? He wasn’t sure, but without a doubt he had never felt so free. The fact that the Emperor had agreed to his proposal was promising, and gave him some hope. People in court were already whispering that the old man was going mad in his age, that his desire, no his need for perfection was only increasing with his age. But he wasn’t unapproachable, and Darren had a few other ideas in mind he wanted to implant. “All in due time,” he whispered softly.

With a quick snap of his fingers a servant came bustling over. The young man had a pretty face and a well toned body. He was almost nude besides a little loin clothe that covered his privates, and as he draped the robe around Darren, he took the time to admire the slave’s body. The one nice thing about being a Slave Lord was that you had the pick of the best slaves, and Darren truly owned the finest. He stared at the youth a bit more, and the man squirmed under his gaze. Finally Darren gave him a nod, and with obvious relief the young man hurried away to await his Master’s need.

Darren secured the robe and headed up the marble steps towards a table where Garret was already sitting. The old soldier was looking over maps and charts, making notes and marking certain things. They had been toying with the idea of doing this for weeks, but Darren had doubted the Emperor’s willingness. Now that they had the go ahead, they had a day to actually plan the whole thing. It wasn’t too complicated, but there was a lot to do and little time.

“How is it going?” Darren asked, as he picked up a pitcher of wine and poured himself a glass.

Garret let out a grunt, “It’s going. I have the men outfitted with clubs and nets, and they have orders not to use their swords or spears unless they have to. Hopefully that will allow us to capture the maximum amount of slaves with little to no resistance or damage. They have also been warned about nobles, making sure they check the papers of anyone who claims to be such, and if they don’t have papers to take them away and treat them like a slave.”

“The streets will be filled with panicking people,” Darren softly mussed as he looked down at the map of the city.

“Tell me about it,” Garret muttered darkly. “We are going to try and heard them away from the nicer areas of town, and we will hit the market first. Hopefully it will minimize any damage done, and those who we don’t capture should flee back to the slums. Of course we will have the entrance blocked off and the gate closed so they will be an easy capture. I will also have groups along every road in a circle around the area. No one should be able to get out, and by days end we should have most, if not all of them captured and taken to the pens.”

Darren nodded. “Good, make sure we have scribes at the pens. The Emperor is getting half of the profits we make from today.”

Garret raised an eyebrow and grin, “The old man got the better of you.”

Darren grimaced at the implications of that. “You could say so, it seems like Tharin feels it isn’t necessary to bargain in his old age. I want everything documented and clear so I know how much I am going to owe him and what sort of slaves we have captured. The Emperor demands perfect and we will give it to him, even in the paperwork.”

“Sucking up are we?” Garret asked with a thin smile.

If anyone else had spoken to him like that Darren would have beat them. He allowed Garret a certain level of freedom however. The man was charged with Darren’s life, and all of the soldiers under his command. He needed a certain level of freedom and authority to do his job, but Darren did have his limits. “Watch your tongue soldier,” Darren whispered softly, “You are valuable, but far from replaceable.”

Garret’s face went white and he quickly bowed, “My apologies Lord.”

“It is a game we are playing, and my sights are set higher then just the measly Day of Filth. It is a means to an end, and I need to Emperor to be corporative, and to see that I am responsible and can handle things. This event will fill his coffers as well as mine, and hopefully he will be all the more amiable toward me. That reminds me,” Darren said, “I want you to have some engineers on hand. There will obviously be some damage from this whole thing, and I want them on hand to calculate the expenses on fixing any buildings that are damaged, and anything destroyed.”

“Of course my Lord,” Garret answered, though it was obvious he was confused about why.

“Like I said,” Darren murmured, “I need the Emperor happy with me, and if this whole event hurts his city more then helps it I will lose what credibility I have. I will personally pay for any damages, and make sure that things look even better after I am done tomorrow. Make sure you satisfy noble or merchant who has an issue, and if their property is damage promise them it will be fixed, and they will be compensated for it.”

Garret slowly nodded, obviously understanding there was more going on than just the Day of Filth. “My Lord,” he slowly said, “From the sounds of it, we may not make a lot of money off of this. If you personally pay for all the damages, plus give the Emperor half, what is left for you?”

“It is a means to an end,” Darren whispered, “What is left for me is that the Emperor is pleased, and the nobles and merchants of the city are not harmed. If all the physical damage done is paid for then they will not care what happens to the rabble. My sights are set higher then just the Day of Filth, I have a much bigger prize in mind.”

OOC: And thus the plotting begins! Quick question Isha, how big is Pash? Half a million, more... less... and how many citizens exist in the Slums?

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100