Young Writers Society

The Fateful Heart

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:19 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline looked back when Yoen announced he'll be downstream. She didn't ask for privacy or particularly needed it, but maybe he was prudish. She knew that some traditional societies can be this way, but they were a small subset of the population, and she hadn't personally encountered them. Maybe it was the same here. She made a mental note of it.

"Okay," she said back to him, but he was already walking away.

No matter. Evaline shed out of her clothes and took some steps forward, standing on a nearby mossy rock that the water gilded on. The water felt little shiver up her feet. Sighing with satisfaction, she started to walk in until she was at the deep end, just below her shoulders.

She took a deep breath and bent down to fully submerge herself. The water gave her just what she needed. It was a cold burn, just enough to take her off the edge and halt all the thoughts swimming in her head. She stayed there for some moments, feeling her skin start to numb and her head becoming lighter as her lungs started to sting from lack of air. But still, she stayed, embracing the emptiness of her head. It was blissful to not feel worried, or anxious, or stressed. She had to always be one step ahead and choose the right path. Others depended on her. She couldn't mess up.

It was nice to be able to dull that lingering fear, even for a short while.

Just as her lungs were about to give up and release the stale oxygen, Evaline stood up and gasped for air. She was still numb, but her head was already starting to recover to normal with the always-lingering anxiety, stress, fear.

She quickly scrubbed herself of any remaining smears of dirt and leaned back to submerge her hair, combing through it with her fingers to release any stubborn burrs stuck in there. When finished, she waded back to the mossy rock and sat down on it, shivering as she hugged her knees to her chest.

A satisfied sigh escaped her lips as she closed her eyes and, with a clear head, returned to think about a plan going forward.

Some time passed and Evaline opened her eyes, once again feeling inspired, even with her head at its normal state. With the exception of her damp hair, she was fully dry already, so she got up on her feet and walked back to her clothes to change back into, with the exception of her shirt. She instead slipped into the faded red shirt Yoen left for her. She didn't have to look in a mirror to know it was unflattering; it was boxy and big, clearly made for a man. Hopefully this helped her blend in more than stand out.

Evaline decided to ball up the remnants of her shirt by a bush, but before doing so, she ripped out a few thin strips that she could use to tie up her hair, which is exactly what she did as she made her way back to Yoen.

She made sure to be quiet as possible, trying not to step any twigs or leaves that might signal her entrance. Peering behind a tree, she looked to see what he was up to.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

saint carina, patron saint of rp
—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:55 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James was glad for a moment of quiet, alone. After hardly sleeping, he was already growing weary of keeping up appearances for Eve, and as much as he was trying to convince himself that he was getting better, he really wasn't healing as quickly as he'd hoped.

It didn't help that he wasn't getting rest. He knew that.

He took in a deep breath, and glanced down the river. He couldn't see Eve from where he was, and considering it looked like she was planning on being a while, he decided to take the risk. Because frankly, everything hurt like hell still. It wasn't as bad as before, but his lower back still burned. He didn't know if that was in his head, or if it was infected, and because of where the burn was, it was difficult to check.

He slipped off his vest, and carefully peeled off his shirt, setting it to the side on a mossy rock. And then he unwound the bandaging around his waist that held the wads of gauze in place.

The skin still felt tender, and when he gingerly pulled the gauze away, he hissed, biting back tears.

But once it was off, it was like his skin could breathe. He let out a deep sigh and slouched forward.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline peeked her head out from behind the tree, having to take in what she saw for many long seconds before she accepted the reality that Yoen was hurt... badly. She leaned back against the tree, heart thumping in her chest.

For a moment she felt like a rabbit hiding from a wolf. Here was someone who clearly had some rough times, and it was unclear how or why he sustained injuries. One thing was sure, though: he was lying about being a forager. She glimpsed the letter 'B' burned on to his back, and there was no way that could have been from an animal. Was he from a gang? Was that his way of having a tattoo? Were his intentions of bringing her along more sinister than what they appear?

She considered running away and hope he didn't catch her, just like a rabbit would with a wolf. She had the advantage of not being injured, and he didn't seem to notice her yet, so she could slip away silently.

But maybe, just maybe, he was not a wolf, but another rabbit running away from prey—just like her.

Yoen was clearly hiding something, but Evaline had a hard time believing that his intentions were not sincere; as in, he actually wanted to help her, even if he didn't fully believe her story, and even if he had his own problems to worry about.

How could she turn her back on someone like that?

Like she had said to him before, they didn't need to know each other's backstories. There was no use in asking him how he received the wounds or question why he lied about being a forager. He likely didn't want her to prod as much as she didn't want him to.

She bit her lip and quietly took a deep breath before stepping into sight. "The water," she said, glancing at the river. "It'll help with the pain." She took a few small steps forward. "Do you... need help?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:34 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The moment Eve emerged from the trees James began to curse in his mind. Of course. He tried letting his guard down once, just to breathe, and she snuck up on him. How could he be so stupid? So careless? But it was too late, now. He couldn’t explain this away. There was no way he’d be able to weave it all in to something believable.

A forager. Yeah, right.

He spun around and grit his teeth, watching as she approached him, hesitating. Like he was a wounded animal.

“I’m fine,” he said quickly, before any other thoughts could cross his mind.

The appeal of the water teased at him, but he didn’t feel safe to just... walk in. And that would mean unwrapping more bandages, or getting bandages wet, and he didn’t want to see them all. He didn’t want her to see them all, uncovered.

“I’ll be fine,” he said, looking away, but watching her from the corner of his eye.

He tried to think of something to say. To clear the air. But nothing came to mind.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:39 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline was having none of this "I'm fine" nonsense. They were tiptoeing their words with each other before, but now was not the time for that.

"No, you're not," she said, voice stern and already sounding annoyed. "Let's skip the part where you try to convince yourself you're okay. Seriously, what can I do to help?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:08 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James looked back at her and his brows knit together. He looked her up and down, judging her posture. She didn't look like she was lying, but he'd made it this far without help, and he didn't see what she could do to change anything. She couldn't heal him any faster and she couldn't take the pain away.

He didn't like feeling this exposed.

And she sounded almost annoyed, as if his suspicion was unfounded, or like she took his rejection of her offer personally. But it made more sense that she was angry he kept all of this a secret from her in the first place, which he could understand.

She was insistent, now, and he wondered just how insistent she'd be.

"I don't know," he said, carefully controlling his tone so it was neutral.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline paused, narrowing her eyes at him. Yoen was so stubborn, and although her patience was already wearing thin, she knew from experience that blowing up and getting angry was the last thing that would help. It wasn't like her to put a lid on the bubbling annoyance boiling off from her lack of patience, but this wasn't a petty argument. Yoen was vulnerable, and living in a false reality of "everything is fine" wasn't doing him or her any good, especially if there was any possibility that he was still in danger. Any danger to him would be a danger to her.

"It's okay to admit you need help," she said slowly, realizing as soon as the words left her mouth that she was a complete hypocrite. Hopefully he was too preoccupied by the situation to notice that. "I don't know what attacked you, and I don't need to know. But if, I don't know, more wolves were going to attack, how would you defend yourself?"

Come on, be reasonable, she wanted to say but decided to hold back.

She didn't wait for a reply. Maybe he just needed to be told what to do next or maybe he was independent and didn't like to accept help from others. She thought about this for a moment as she gazed over to the burn on his back. It looked messy and fresh. Something told her it wasn't done on purpose.

"Get up," she said. "I think at least putting your back on the water will help."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:31 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James didn't like that Eve was making sense, and he could hear what wasn't being said.

I don't know who attacked you, but were they coming back? Was she in danger too? Those were questions she deserved an answer to, but at the moment, he found himself caught in a wrestle in his mind.

If someone attacked, he would defend himself because he had to, but it would cause him a lot of pain, and it wouldn't be good. He was not at full strength, and he had limited mobility. Recovery was such an agonizingly slow process, and he hated it.

Eve didn't look like she wanted to hurt him. In fact, she was being reasonable. Sensible. She was masking her anger to put his needs first, and he didn't know if he appreciated that or wished she'd just let it out and say what she meant to say.

He should've told her.

But how was he supposed to bring that up?

The brand on his back was seething. It felt like a ray of sun had found that specific patch of skin and decided to shine with full strength. He held his breath and closed his eyes, and then exhaled.

He slipped off his boots and his socks.

This was a waste of time.

He should get moving.

Butch would catch up to them. He could see it already, in his mind - James, in the water. Eve, somewhere off down the stream. Elliot, unaware. Butch, creeping in the forest and bursting through the trees, with his axes swinging. Or a lasso, like a noose, catching on James's neck and pulling him to the shore. The dirt entering his still-healing wounds. The heel of Butch's boot digging into his chest, bruising his ribs. Eve running in, too late, and an ax being thrown at her--

He opened his eyes and rolled up his pants. His entire lower left leg was wrapped below the knee, and that was the one he dreaded unwrapping the most.

He didn't think it was a good idea.

Slowly, he stood up and glanced back at her.

He couldn't seem to convince himself to step into the water, but he found that his heart was racing. None of what he'd imagined was real, but already, he could feel it in his body: he was ready to run again. But at the same time, weeks of sleepless nights were catching up to him. He was ready to run, but he was just as ready to collapse at any moment. He just never felt safe to.

He took in a deep breath, but it didn't slow his heart at all.

"You should know," he said slowly. "That the man who did this to me is still looking for me."

He paused, turning to meet her eyes. "He's a violent sadist, and it may not be safe for you to associate with me for very long. If you want to leave, you can. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, and especially not you."

"I know you're a stranger to this forest, and your chances of going alone are just as dangerous. But I think the wolves are kinder than he will be."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline looked at Yoen, studying him to see if she could tell he was telling the truth. The flinch of the fingers, the dart of the eyes, a quickened breath—all signs of someone who didn't think things through and may have lied, but she didn't see that from him.

But perhaps he thought things through a lot, like her. Or perhaps he was a really good liar, and was such a stubborn brat, he made up this elaborate lie to scare her away rather than admit he needed help.

Or maybe... he was telling the truth.

She thought about what that could mean. If a savage man were really chasing him, it would make sense that he was wary and full of injuries. And it would make sense that she leave. She likely slowed him down, increasing their chances of getting caught. That wouldn't do her or him any good.

But why would a violet sadist be chasing him? What has he done to warrant such revenge?

Evaline found herself taking long steady breaths, a tactic she had been used to doing instinctively now to keep her head clear. She knew if the situation were somehow switched and he was lost in her world, she wouldn't be able to explain the circumstances. Something told her there was more to this story than he was letting on.

Slowly, she walked towards the basin, sitting on a flat dry rock close to the edge.

She leaned back with her hands and looked back Yoen. There was a long pause.

"You're so dramatic," she finally said. "If you really didn't wish this on your worst enemy, why invite me along to travel?"

I don't know what to believe anymore, she almost said, then shook her head to reject the thought.

"Look," she began, already feeling the annoyance starting to bubble. If there was anything that made Evaline extra stubborn, it was stubborn people. "You don't have to tell me your sob story. I'm not leaving, either. And don't paint me as a damsel in distress." She narrowed her eyes at him, trying to soften them to not appear as a glare. "I can defend myself, you know. Better than you think."

She paused and briefly looked away. If anything, he was lucky she was here. As long as she was one step ahead, she could help him. She could help herself.

"Now please," she began again, "can you quit whining and do something about the wounds? Bandage it back up, go in the water, whatever, I don't care."

Oh shoot, she didn't mean to have it come out that way.

"But also, uhh... let me know if I can help..."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:52 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James was getting frustrated, and he knew deep down it was only because Eve was right. She was poking holes in his logic, and she was making sense.

But he was telling the truth about Butch. He'd agreed to have Eve join him in his travels, but his aim was to bring her to the nearest town and get her help there, and leave. That had been his plan, and he'd planned to follow through with it. He still could, without Eve even really knowing. She didn't know where they were. He didn't have to tell her.

And then he could make sure she was in good hands, and be on his way, leading Butch elsewhere.

So on that, he decided to keep his mouth shut. She was determined not to leave, and now he was determined to get rid of her. If she said she was capable, then it wouldn't be a problem when he did.

He sighed.

And then she pressed again, telling him to do something about his wounds.

He looked at the water.

He knew it would hurt, at first.

He could feel a child-like stubborn defiance rising up within him that he tried to shove down, but his body was already stiff. Logically, he knew it was a small thing. Stepping into the water. But something about being told to do it made him tense.

Eve was only suggesting. It was just a suggestion.

James took a small step towards the water, and the water lapped up over his toes.

It was cold.

"It's been two weeks," he said quietly. There was more to that thought.

And he still wasn't close to being better. And everything still hurt. And he still couldn't sleep. And he kept waking up, feeling the sharp pain of a knife, but it was an old memory, not a new one.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline frowned, not entirely sure what Yoen meant by two weeks. Two weeks since... what? Since he got his injuries? She figured that he was injured periodically, with each new wound coming up every time he came across this violent man. Maybe it had been two weeks since he had seen him? His nastier wounds definitely looked fresher. It was kind of gross, really, but at this point of her life, she had become desensitized by violence and gore. A healing wound was better to look at.

No matter, he was inching towards the water anyways. And Evaline was consistently getting impatient, waiting for him to just suck it up and walk in and stop feeling sorry for himself. Then he paused. Paused. She had to keep herself from fidgeting in impatience.

She looked him up and down. He wasn't that far from her. Maybe she needed to continue to push him a little...

Remembering studying the weak point of his legs, she extended her own leg and pushed him there with her foot, using just enough force that he would be forced to buckle and get in the water.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:14 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James saw her move but couldn't react in time. As he took a step further into the water to get away, her foot came right behind his knees, and it really didn't take that much pressure for his left knee to give out entirely.

First, it was pain, shooting up his leg.

And then it was cold.

His very loud expletive was muffled by the water rushing into his mouth.

James splashed into the shallow water, face-first, and he drifted further in as he spun around. His very loud expletive was muffled, and he came up sputtering, with his back against the water. He had to find the bottom of the stream with his foot, rooting it in the sand to keep himself from drifting with the flow of the water, but fortunately, it was enough. The pull wasn't too strong.

"Gods-" he sputtered, his breathing becoming ragged at the shock of cold. "Dragons above, Eve--"

And then he started to feel it. It was very gradual, but his body was starting to relax. The cold water was like a numbing salve, and the tension in his muscles was slowly starting to release.

He was still angry, but he became a little preoccupied by the relief washing over him.

He drifted a little further in, shooting a weak glare in Eve's direction.

Numbness, as cold as it was, was suddenly very welcome, and he found himself not wanting to fight it.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:51 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline smirked, feeling victorious that her plan worked. It all felt silly and childish, she was in a place where her past was irrelevant, so she felt like she could relax and allow herself to have this moment.

"Oops," she said sarcastically at Yoen as he drifted a little further away and shot her a glare.

He already appeared relax after yelling out some curse words, so hopefully the water was clearing up his head as well as it did with her. And his body, too. Pausing the physical pain was probably the biggest relief for him.

She faced her body towards the water, turning just a little so Yoen would just be out of her sight. Giving privacy was what someone would do here, right?

"How does it feel?" she asked as she leaned back herself, tilting her head to let the sun soak her face.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James had to hold onto a rock at the bottom of the stream with his feet to keep himself rooted, but now that he was secure, and able to just let the water bubble past him.

He was shivering, just a little, but the lack of feeling won over feeling everything.

Still, he didn't like how smug Eve was, for pushing him in. He would've gone in on his own, less abruptly. But at least it seemed like she hadn't meant to hurt him, even though he still could feel a faint throbbing in his leg. It was the one thing that seemed strong enough to pulse through the water.

He ducked his head underwater and blew bubbles. When he came up, he tilted his head back so his hair stayed out of his face.

He saw that she'd turned just enough so she couldn't see him.

He... appreciated that.

"Good," he finally answered, trying not to make his voice sound like a pouting child.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:15 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline couldn't help but crack a smile at the irony of the situation. It wasn't even a day ago that she was acting like a terrified stray animal while Yoen was a warm and pleasant host, albeit somewhat snarky. Now, she felt like she was a teacher trying to drag along a crying kid and telling him to shut up and behave.

She let him have his moment of peace, although she listened for any sudden movements. He didn't seem like he'd run away from her, and she hoped he wouldn't either, because it would be a very awkward chase.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature