z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"They're very smart." Sara had all her cards turned over now, but she had a ways to go before she reached zero. "Did you have any children before?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:52 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(oh my god, imagine Aleth with children)

"No, ma'am," Aleth answered, making his move. He had better things to do with his life than raise a bunch of snot-nosed, whiny, monsters. Gods knew Ky cried enough to last this lifetime and the next. He didn't need a literal child clinging to him. "I fear I'm too restless to make a good father."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:40 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ah." She nodded sagely, replacing one of her higher cards with a two. "I've known a lot of restless men in my life. Some are fine fathers, others not so much. Not a risk you're willing to take?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:54 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“No ma’am,” Aleth answered again. “I know what it’s like to have a terrible father. I don’t want to be one as well.”

The answer surprised him. But it was true.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara looked up, brow furrowing. "Oh?" That was an unexpected turn.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:45 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh, uh, yeah." Aleth cleared his throat and shrugged slightly. He hadn't meant for the conversation to take this turn. "Apologies, I didn't mean for the conversation to turn dark. Just that I have little desire to have children of my own. Ma'am."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:48 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I understand." Sara switched out a card. "I'm sorry you feel that way; children can be such a joy." That was a fear she herself had experience with--she and Gaius had been so late to have children for that very reason. Gaius was terrified of what he might pass on to any offspring, be it Michael's temper or his own flaws. Mattathias and Marcella had been accidents.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:53 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm glad for your ability to have that joy," Aleth answered, taking his own move. "I'm sure your children are lovely."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:56 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ah, you haven't met them." Sara nodded. "They're charming to visitors, certainly. Willful as anything if told to do something they're not keen on, though."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:59 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth chuckled. Yet another reason why he didn't want to deal with the little terrors. It seemed the bodies of children broke before their wills did. He didn't need that kind of rebellion running rampant in his own home. "Ah, youth."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:04 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Indeed." Sara smiled and set her focus on the game. Something felt a tad off about this man--not just because he was a possible spy. It was like looking at a tapestry whose string was hung just a touch off the mark--she couldn't place it, but it sent a small chill down her spine. She shuddered involuntarily.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(You and me both, Sara xD)

Aleth paused from his turn and watched her. Was she afraid? She didn't seem to be. But something had clearly caused a reaction in her. Uneasiness at her children being the topic of conversation? She'd been the one to bring them up. "Are you alright, ma'am?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:09 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Had he noticed? "Oh, I'm fine!" Sara smiled again--was it too forced? "Just anxious to have my husband home. The woods surrounding our Keep aren't very safe, and his leg might seize up."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:13 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Understandable." He smiled politely and averted his gaze, hoping to set her more to ease. He certainly didn't need Ash's wife crying foul against him. That was the quickest way to the gallows. "I hope that he and Cecily return soon, for all of your sakes."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:16 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"As do I." The sooner, the better. Both so she could have assurance that her husband and his sister were safe, and so she could get away from this offputting man.

(Her mama instinct says no way jose)

she/her

Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.
— Søren Kierkegaard