z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 19)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh!” Ky grinned broadly. This day couldn’t get any better! “Thank you!” She took it eagerly and glanced down at it, hoping with everything within her that it was from Mother.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:07 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(*pained smile*)

The servant bowed and went on her way.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:08 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(*cringe*)

Ky began reading the letter eagerly.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:17 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Dear Ky,

We were so glad to get your letter! The children all say hello and send their love, as do Wick and Aunti Ana. We've been very busy teaching Raina how to crawl--she's coming along very fast and I expect she'll be walking by the time you and Lyra and your father get home!

Gaius did indeed write a letter as well--he gave a detailed account of what happened and I received it alongside your message.
It's difficult to know what to say about those circumstances. Let me begin by saying how happy I am that you've found another sister! Hopefully you two are getting along and supporting one another well. She will always be welcome at Caracal Keep. Please give her love from all of us, and give Zander our greetings and well wishes. You'll have to tell me all about them both when you get home.
Regarding the less fortunate revelation you had, I want you to know that your father and I have had many long, long talks about what happened and while it's been a difficult road, I've been able to trust him and love him again. I hope you can do the same. Your father is a man who struggles with self-control, as I'm sure you've seen, and while it's not fair on me or any of you either, or the people he's involved himself with, we have to keep in mind the circumstances under which he grew up. I try very hard to remember that, and we work together to improve. Try not to think poorly of Emery, either.
I sincerely hope you're doing well despite the shock of all this news, Ky. You mean the world to the whole family, and we've been missing you and your father and sister terribly. Please give Lyra a big hug from all of us and ask her to write me! She's hardly written a word. And give your father a hug as well, and tell him we all love him. He needs to be reminded sometimes, as I'm sure you're aware.
Infinite love to you, Ky Loquitur. I'm sending warmth and good fortune your way.
Love,
Mother
Last edited by Ljungtroll on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:21 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She read the whole letter several times over, smiling a bit more each time. Especially the last bit.

Love, Mother.

Love, Mother.

Mother.

Love.

She hugged it to her chest, tears pricking her eyes, then turned and started for Father’s room to pass along the message and hug.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:22 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas was in the middle of getting his winter clothes on. He was shaky from how little food he'd eaten and his stomach was rumbling, but he fumbled with the buttons anyway.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:24 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(*swats with rolled up newspaper*)

She knocked on his door and then tried the door, too distracted to wait for a response first.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:25 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(*eats the newspaper*)

Tomhas jerked, startled, and turned guiltily. "Er...come in."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:26 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She walked in. “Mother wrote! She said—“ she furrowed her brow. “What are you doing?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Going for a walk." He looked down at himself. "What did Mother say?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I thought you said you were getting ready for dinner?” She frowned at him. “You promised you’d come.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Well yeah, but...that's awhile away. I want to stretch my legs first, alright?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:31 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She looked at him skeptically. Something felt very off.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:32 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What did Mother say?" he asked, resuming buttoning up his coat.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:34 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“… to tell you they love and miss you and give you a hug from everyone… and that Raina is crawling and will probably be walking by the time we get home.”

[they/he]

I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless