z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:06 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"We remove them and put them in something called a heart box, and the crib is donated or passed to the next baby."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:09 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"What is a heart box?" Aashi asked curiously.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It's a pine box big enough to hold a pair of shoes. It's got one key, which is passed on to the owner when they're six years old. It's used to collect keepsakes and memory-related items for the person to look back on."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:53 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(My writing mentor just told me I have “exceptionally strong writing” so excuse me while my ego inflates me out of the stratosphere rn I’m so happy xD)

“Interesting…” Aashi considered it for a long moment. “… Are there shoes, too? Or is it just that size? Do the parents collect leading up to six years and then the child be solely responsible? What a fascinating concept!”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Aww yo that's awesome!!!)

"It's just that size. The parents collect to start, and they offer things for the child to put in as well. I have one, and Gaius has one--most Northerners do."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Interesting.” Her mind was spinning with possibilities. She was behind on getting one for Tasia! “What sorts of things do you put in? Why six?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:16 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Six is when children naturally start taking proper notice of the world and express interest in remembering things sentimentally." She thought for a moment. "I've got a little wolf carving in mine, and a green ribbon I got from a market stall. I still wear it in my hair sometimes. And of course I have the baby carvings, and a doll made from clothing scraps. Some other odds and ends as well."
Gaius was silent.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:20 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“That’s really neat! But how do you keep the children from breaking the contents that young?” She glanced at Tasia. She supposed she had two years yet to mellow out, but she certainly didn’t trust her daughter with sentimental items yet.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Usually the contents aren't too delicate to start," Sara mused. "Though Marcella has a little glass sphere in hers. We just make sure to tell them to be extra, extra careful."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:26 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh? What are those from?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"The sphere?" She smiled. "Gaius brought it back from Rhaebaki; it's got a little scene on it from one of the storybooks we read to the children. It's an incredibly intricate piece!"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Aww! How charming!” Aashi smiled. “Has she seen it? Or is it going to be a surprise reveal?” She supposed it wouldn’t be a proper surprise since they were talking about it now. But that didn’t guarantee she’d seen it either.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"She has." Sara nodded.
"They gave it to me like a year ago!" Marcella added. "I was super surprised though!"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Wait they’re six? I’ve been envisioning younger lol)

“That’s super cool!” Aashi said, turning a grin on the little girl. “What’s the story about?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:37 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(No they're four and Regulus is 2, but they've got access to the boxes through their parents. It's just that the parents are responsible for the keys until the kids are a bit older)

"It's a love story about the gods of light and dark!" Marcella replied. "It's super romantic and sweet and my favorite part is on the glass ball!"

she/her

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour