z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:08 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“For sure.” Tadaaki nodded. It wouldn’t happen, probably. It’d be a logistic nightmare figuring out how to get everyone to the river safely and make sure they weren’t attacked in the process. Not to mention he didn’t know any of the plants up here whatsoever to have even the first idea of how he’d go about constructing a raft. Still. No point in pissing on someone else’s parade. “Do you have any similar festivals up this way? Or special thanks to the river?”

(Fun fact my homeschool group did raft races when I was in elementary and mine always sank within 3 feet of release lmao)

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:23 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Aw cool though!!)

"We have feasts at the beginning and endorse the long night," Sara replied. "And for pregnancies a little carved wooden infant is given to each family member, which they then wear around their necks until the child is born. There's a ceremony for newborns as well."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:30 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Yeah! It was fun lol we weren’t allowed to get help on them so I always just got a piece of scrap wood from one of my dads home improvement projects and nailed and screwed things into it to try to make it keep stable lol one year I managed to get a turkey feather to stand upright on it and was sure that would be the trick and it in fact flipped over even faster xD)

“That’s sweet.” Aashi smiled, feeling at her collarbone. She wanted a necklace.

Tadaaki glanced at her, then at Sara, resolving to ask her for details later to see if it was feasible that he may be able to figure out how to make one for her. Anything for Aashi.

Ky brushed her fingers across her own pendant. It really was a special thing.

“And what happens to it after birth?” Tadaaki asked.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Aw sounds like you needed a proper mast)

"They're incorporated into the ceremony then situated in or on the child's first cradle in some way."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:47 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Alas, 8-year-old Shady lacked long term planning xD)

“Aww that’s so charming!” Aashi said enthusiastically, melting at the idea.

Tadaaki watched her for a moment then nodded gently. He’d definitely need to get her some, then. “That sounds nice.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara grinned. "If you'd like we can do the same for you."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"We can?" Aashi asked eagerly. "What a precious keepsake!"

Tadaaki felt uneasy. "We wouldn't want to be a burden."

"Oh, oh, right!" Aashi nodded, sobering a bit as she looked at Sara. "I, um... yeah, there's a lot going on. We-we don't need to, uh-- right. Right, yes, sorry. No worries. It's, um, not a tradition where we're from. So. Um... yeah, no need. No expectation of it. No need at all."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:33 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Not at all!" Sara shook before head. "We're happy to do it; every couple should have something special to celebrate their little one, no matter how far from home they are."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:36 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"That's very kind of you." Aashi smiled. "It's nice that this little one has a whole legion of people looking out for them before they're even born, even this many weeks away from home. It's very sweet. Thank you."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:52 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

She dipped her head. "They'll be so fortunate to have parents like you, as well."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:09 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Tadaaki bristled and looked back at his plate.

Aashi sighed softly, reaching under the table in an attempt to take his hand. He didn't let her. She looked back at Sara, biting back another sigh. "That's also very kind of you to say. They're certainly loved at the very least. Hopefully that's enough."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara smiled. "Traditionally the skalds carve the infants, but maybe you and Tadaaki would like to try since Tadaaki is a woodcarver?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:25 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aashi glanced at Tadaaki, trying for his hand again. He sighed softly; he needed to stop being pissy. It'd been a compliment. He needed to treat it as one. He reluctantly took her hand and glanced back up. "...that would be fun. Could use some guidance, though. Examples..."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:42 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Certainly! I can show you the ones one Regulus's crib if you like."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:44 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"That'd be lovely!" Aashi said eagerly, smiling and giving Tadaaki's hand a little squeeze. "What happens to the figurines after the baby outgrows the crib?"

[they/he]

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi