Young Writers Society

Wanderlust

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:20 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Jemsie:

I slowly stood up when the horsemen pulled their horse to a stop in front of us. I looked around at everyone else. One guy was still out of it but the twins were excited. They had told me they were twins earlier when I asked them. Cain was scratching his head, a little confused. The other girl was still laying on her side with her back to us.

A woman got down off one of the horses and stalked over to us. She pointed at me and started yelling. I blinked.

"Uh, excuse me?" I asked and she paused, tilting her head to one side.

"Who are you?" she asked. "And your friends?"

I blinked. Huh? Oh, who are we. "I'm Jemsie," I told her. "That boy scratching his head is Cain. The twins are Ace and Xavier... I'm not sure who the last two are."

The woman was clearly Chinese....and she wearing armour? What the hell?

"Get those two up," she snapped and stalked back over to her horse. "We're going back to the Summer Palace."

I frowned. Summer palace? Okay, this was getting really weird.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 pm
xX_white_shadow_Xx says...

Jia-li)

I sat in the corner, crushing an assortment or herbs as the wise woman had told me too, me eyes still glued to the window. I wanted to see this mysterious flash that had the Princess frazzled and in tears, but it seemed to be a once in a lifetime kind of thing. The wise woman flung her hand at me and grunted. I sighed, got up, and but the small bowl in her outstretched hand.

"Don't worry, Princess," the wise woman said softly with a toothless smile. I noticed the sweat glistening on her forehead. "Everything will be just fine."

***Sorry it's so short!***
Is he dancing with a little boy in spandex?!

~Papa Doorbell

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm
AngerManagement says...

Atieno

I watched everyone stand up and follow the weird mannish woman. They all got on the horses all silent-well except for the twins who kept asking if they can do 'Jacki-Chan moves'. I just rested on the grass not bothering to waste my energy standing up to talk to Man-Woman-Samurai.

After a variety of looks and a few hand motions of I-will-kill-you, I decided to walk up to the only unoccupied horse.

The rider glared at me.

"What?" I said defiantly.

He muttered something and started riding the horse at top speed, with a slight chance of me falling off!

Note To Self: Don't make the big bad Samurai guy with the horse angry.

For some weird reason I couldn't stop humming the Samurai Jack theme song.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm
elfwriter97 says...

Name: Shi Louw (no last name- orphaned at birth)

Appearance: Image

Skills: Pottery, weaving, sculpting, Reading, {Secret skills: Sword-fighting}

Personality: Shy, determined, witty, sly, secretive, selfless, friendly, intellectual, thoughtful, precise, kind, loyal, honest

History: Adopted to older couple in village, when not weaving, reading, sculpting, or writing to brother, who is in another village, with a different family-- also adopted-- she is using Yaki's (her adopted father) old battle sword to learn self- defensive skills; little does she know they will come in handy.

Likes/Dislikes: Likes: Helping her grandmother with her small supply store in the village, reading in her small loft in the barn with her barncat, Shoy Lee, and working on her knife and sword fighting skills.

Dislikes: Anyone who takes advantage of people who've trusted them, Russians, who are now battling China in a war, and bugs, in which spoiling her grandfather's crops to sell in the market for money.

Other: Has a great fear of snakes

Up for love: Yes
Last edited by elfwriter97 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I don't have ADD, I just- SQUIRREL!!!

212 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm
ScarlettFire says...

New character of mine:
Spoiler! :
Name: Quan-Ling Li.
Skills: Stealing, some fighting skills, stealth.
Personality: Quan is usually kind and likes to help the poor kids but since he's not doing too well himself, he's turned cruel but it's only a mask. If you can get him to take it off, you'll find he's actually rather nice.
History: Quan's parents are dead and he's alone. He can't afford to pay off the guards so he steals what he can. He's been alone for the past year and participating in...unsavoury deals with shady characters. He also saw the flash of light the princess did.
Likes/Dislikes: Likes stealing, sneaking around and the princess. Dislikes the guy who stole the throne, getting caught and being poor.
Other: He's very curious. Sometimes too curious, which is how he caught up in the whole quest thing.
Up for love: Yes.

Quan-Ling Li:

I peeked around the corner, looking off down the main street. What were those annyonig Guards up to now??

Frowning, I watched as the guards came galloping back into town with six strangers wearing odd clothes... Huh, now this is interesting. I followed them back up towards the palace, forgetting all about what I was donig back in the alley...

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:41 pm
kidashka says...

Cain

I held back a scream as the horse galloped at what seemed like light-speed across the plains, gripping onto the other rider with a very unmanly if-I-let-go-I-might-die kinda grip.
Think nice things. Think nice things.
Finally, the horses stopped, and I practically melted off mine, just about managing to stand up with the jelly-legs I had somehow acquired. I glanced around for the others' reactions, and wasn't particularly encouraged. The girl, Jemsie, seemed fine, leaping off the horse effortlessly. The twins were high-fiving , which I didn't understand. Maybe they were celebrating their survival?
The other, scary girl looked most shaken, which cheered me up slightly until she brushed it off and continued death-glaring at everyone.
Okay.
So maybe I was the biggest wuss.

Tai Xue

I gave the wise woman a hopeful smile, reassured by her actions. She seemed to know exactly what the sign was. Although she hadn't told me anything yet, I assumed this was for good reason. After all, no one questions her.
I bowed my head respectfully, watching as she grounds a paste further. This continued for some time, and I shot a glance at her apprentice. One day that girl would be my wise woman. And even though the thought burns in my mind, I know that it may not be long before my wise woman passes over for this young girl to replace her. I tried to imagine the old woman as a young girl, and failed hopelessly.
She spoke suddenly, interrupting my thoughts, and I looked up with faint surprise.
"Look," she murmured, gesturing into a large-ish round pot filled with liquid. I shuffled towards it and glanced inside, gasping at what I saw.
It was the light again. The very same vision that I had. I stared at her, bewildered.
"This is the light!" I exclaimed. "What does it mean?"
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:25 am
Apple says...

Xavier~

I high fived Ace, grinnning happily. This was impossible, but this was so awesome! Who would've thought, me, Xavier Whinchester, in kungfu territory!

"Hey buddy!" I bent over poking the lady in the back, she turned back her eyes narrowing in distaste. Ace gave me a wierded glance but I ignored him.

"Can you teach us some moves?" She gave me the smae look she had given Ace when he had asked. One that made your soul shiver and your heart fail.

"I'll take that as a possible yes," I moved back in the saddle of the galloping horse. Ace was being thrown around, he would scream every so often which only made me laugh harder. It was a good thing I went to summer ranch a few years back, and not stayed home to talk to the new girl across the road!

Ace~

I stared up at the muzzle of hte nasty look horse they wanted me to ride, "You have got to be kidding me!" I shouted staring at the angry looking beast.

Xavier laughed, "Dude ranch don't look to bad anymore does it!" I mocked his high laughter poking my tongue out after him, "The girl's clothes looked a lot better on my floor than cuddling up to a stupid ram!"

"Oh you won't be saying that when you get on that thing!" Xavier said plainly jumping on his horses back. His didn't look big and threatening!

"Hurry up!" I heard someone call.
I spy!

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:26 pm
Lumi says...

Spoiler! :
Tau Cai (Age 27)

Occupation: Captain of the guard. He has few superiors, but he religiously submits to each authority without question. (at least to their face)
Skills: Master Archer and skilled swordsman. Rumor has it that he commands a horse like no other, and that he once tamed a wild stallion with the scruff of his voice.
Personality:: Most often, he exhibit’s a strict and unwavering sense of duty and responsibility. Very seldom will he deviate from his glorified, statuesque façade, but when he does, it is clear that he is being his true self.
History : Tau’s father died not long ago while fending off the siege on the royal palace. Once the new ruler took the throne in a corrupt and tainted spirit, Tau swore to himself that he would seek vengeance for his father’s death. It was then that he began to swiftly ascend the ranks of the royal guard, and obtained the title as Captain of the Guard. His greatest goal now is to become General, and then service the Emperor directly for a clear and undisrupted shot-- straight through his heart.
Likes/Dislikes : He likes honor and loyalty, family and truth. He dislikes anything that could hinder his life’s goal.
Up for love: Not that he’ll admit.
Last edited by Lumi on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:37 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Jemsie:

I slid off the horse and rubbed my lower back. I forgot how my back ached when I rode a horse, especially if I was a passenger. I stretched and looked around, laughing when I saw a few of the others complaining.

"Come on," I told them. "It's not so bad."

The twins pretended to faint and started rolling around. I sighed. Yeah, they could act like nothing had happened. I looked up when this angry looking guy walked out of the palace and into the courtyard. Uh oh, this could be trouble.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:51 pm
Lumi says...

Tau

The madness of the day showed no forthcoming end. Dawn came with a burst of eerie light and my troops suddenly fell uneasy and afraid in the wake of the oddity. My hopes were high in the early morning, and I anticipated the Imperial Ceremony with much heart. Unfortunately, the ceremony had to wait. General Li approached me suddenly with what he deemed urgent news. His orders were clear:

Find the outsiders.

I knew little of what this meant, but I quickly connected it with the Blast of Dawn earlier. Before long, my troops were rallied together and we set off as a small calvary to retrieve these 'outsiders.' That mission, however, was short-lived.

Shortly after leaving the Royal grounds, a messenger hawk flew overhead, signaling for my return to the palace. Grudgingly, I relieved my troops to continue the mission without me. Once back in the palace, new orders were issued swiftly and without urgency:

Stand watch over the princess and her attendees.

I began to despise General Li. The princess, oddly, granted entry to an old crow from the poor part of the city. Most knew her as the wise woman, but I didn't care for her brand of magic. After what felt like days, a lower-ranking guard relieved me of my post with news that the troops had returned with the strangers. Swiftly, I took foothold of the courtyard and strafed into the entryway just after their arrival.

With arms folded behind me, I watched as each dismounted their horses, grimacing at the disgusting stagger most of them showed after such a quick and easy ride. I stepped forward and, without saying a word, motioned for my inferiors to seize them.

Without hesitation, the soldiers obeyed, and I turned, leading them inward to the palace and their place of holding.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

10 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 pm
elfwriter97 says...

Shi Louw:

I'd forgotten how good it felt not to have blisters on my aching hands all the time. I don't complain to Gramoo- my adopted mother-, because I know she needs me around to help with the supplies shop, since, after all, next week is her 78th birthday, and I volunteer to do it; she doesn't make me.

I quickly and silently get out of my small cot, and pad over toward the small cupboard where we keep the soap. I pick up a small bar, along with an old sheet, and head outside.

The morning dew sticks to my bare feet, and the blistering heat burns my fair skin. I toss the old sheet onto a nearby rock, and quickly slip out of my nightdress. I wade into the cool water, letting it soak my soar muscles.

I grab the bar of soap, and quickly wash the dirt and grime off of my skin, clearing it up, to show off my almost- translucent skin. I let myself float on my back for a moment,
and gaze over the trees at the beautiful palace, the guards on their way back from the morning's usual hunt. But something catches my eye. Several feet behind the guard, I see a boy, following them.

He's chinese, much like most of the village, and his jet-black hair is cropped short, so as not to hang in his face, I assume. Commoners, like him- and, well, me- aren't meant to be near the palace, as it is a place only for royalty, and the invited. And based on his ragged, torn- up clothes, he's not either.

He slinks low, to the ground, so I suspect he has no invitation. Without thinking, I quickly slip out of the water, running as fast as I can toward him. "Hey!" I hiss, and he jerks his head toward me.

He looks me up and down, giving me a funny look. "Isn't it usually proper to wait until there's been a necessary greeting, before undressing?" He smirks, and I realize with horror, that my clothes are still at the river, and glance down at my bare, naked body.

I glare, "You're just a commoner. Isn't it usually proper to wait for an invitation before following the guards to the castle?" I snap. He glowers, hissing, "It's none of your business what I'm doing at the castle." I grab his wrist, pulling him back to the river. He jerks at me, fighting to pull away, but I have a tight grip, and it's now that I'm thankful for all of the manual labor Gramoo's assigned to me.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:20 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Quan-Ling Li:

The naked girl started yelling at me and then dragged me off in the direction of the river. What the hell? I wasn't doing anything... Okay, I was following the Guards back towards the Palace where none of us commoners should go unless invited... And Well, okay. I was doing something I wasn't meant to.

"You're making a scene," I told her but we were already in the trees by the river. I tried not to look at her as she put her clothes back on. "So, why did you grab me and drag me off just now?"

She huffed and went back to fixing her clothes. I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest, looking anywhere but at her. Yes, I was sort of embarrassed...

"Alright," I muttered. "Don't talk."

10 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:59 pm
elfwriter97 says...

Shi Louw:

I jerk on my nightgown- once again-, rather irritated, since I didn't get to finish my bath. I know I should be mad at this strange boy- who's name I didn't catch-, but I cannot seem to make myself be angry with him.

He stood against a tree, quite obviously embarrassed, being in the presence of a naked girl, as he stares down at the ground, letting his eyes wander from tree to tree. I roll my eyes, and gather up my things, heading back to the hut. When I realize he's not following, I huff loudly, "Are you coming or not?" I demand. He gives me an odd look, and I wonder vaguely if I've forgotten clothes again, but glance down, at my clothed body.

"Why do you want me to come home with you?" He asked, incredulously. "Do you have a place to stay tonight?" I ask, my voice softening. "Why should I trust you? I don't even know your name." He murmurs, kicking the ground with the toe of his shoe. "My name is Shi- Louw. I have no last name, because I was orphaned at birth. And, whether or not you trust me is completely up to you." I shrug.

He seems to be weighing his options, and finally gives in, following me slowly, cautiously. "My name is Quan-ling Lee. You can call me Quannie. My parents are gone too. But I have no one." He replied quietly. I keep walking, and smile sadly to myself.

It's not rare to meet other kids your age who are orphaned, because of all of the warfare and violence going on. I can see the hut up ahead. It really wasn't a hut- we weren't poor, and the house was stable, but it had only 4 rooms; 2 in the small loft, and 2 downstairs. Downstairs was Gramoo and Papoo's bedroom, and the small kitchen. Upstairs was my bedroom, and a small guest room.

"We have a small guest room. You are welcome to stay. You can repay us by helping with our supply store. You will be rewarded with room and board." I offer. I turn, to see his expression. His face suddenly glowed. "I'd like that very much... thank you." I nod. And so we head up toward the house.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:31 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Jemsie:

Rough hands grabbed me and steered me towards the palace. Soon enough we were in it and being ushered down a long, decorated hall. I looked back at the others to see them all being manhandled by a Guard.

I sighed and turned to look at the decorations. The palace was not as bad as I thought it would be. Not scary stone walls; it looked like it was all this paper sliding door stuff and the decorations... Oh, I loved them. The colours and the precious stones and gold leafing... Amazing!

I watched dragons and other amazing creatures and even people leap across the walls, chasing each other. It really was amazing.

Suddenly I was shoved into a room along with everyone else and the door was slammed shut. I looked around at everyone else, rubbing my arms.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:55 pm
AngerManagement says...

Atieno

Oh, charming I thought as the guards shoved me and the rest of the group into the empty room. I looked at the room we had been shoved-not very nicely-into. The wall were a radiant hue of gold and red. But the weird thing was that it was empty...there was nothing. Nada. Zilch. Just endless space, I was starting to think that we were prisoners.

I think the others were realizing that too. But I wasn't going to be a captive for long.....I needed a way out of here. Fast.

I dropped down to the ground and lay on the floor seeing as I had no plan. Think Atieno Think

I could always....No.
Well I...Nah.
Or...Nope.

This is so not working. I ran my hands through my hair angrily and pulled on my roots. Ouch! That was so smart.

"I want-" I started but stopped abruptly.

I want to go home.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae