z

Young Writers Society

The Wonderland Rift

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:01 am
Shady says...

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

I was glaring towards the area that I'd drawn blood from, when suddenly someone grabbed me around the waist. I drew my elbow back to strike, when I realized it was Haigha. Annoyed, but injured, I just lay still, resigned to the fact that he was, yet again, running off with me. "Haigha, this is getting a bit..." Fucking old...No, he's trying to be nice...

I thought Haigha would never stop, but he finally did. He slowly lowered me onto my bed and looked at me worriedly, questioningly. I nearly said that I was fine, but I knew he wouldn't buy it, and if I didn't tell him something, he'd charge off for the Physician-- most likely with me on his shoulder.

"There's a first aid kit in the bathroom."

He nodded and hurried off to get it. He returned in a moment.

"It's okay, I can do it myself." I said, at his disapproving look I added, "Or would you rather that I took of my clothes now, so you can do it?"

Haigha blushed a deeper red than I'd ever seen him go. He hastily handed me the kit and turned his back. I sighed. He was loyal, at least, even if he wasn't going to give me any room to breath.

I quickly patched myself up, and squirmed beneath the covers.

"Alright, it's safe to look now Hiagha."

He turned and looked at me inquisitively.

"Yes, I know it's day," I said, though I doubted that was what his look meant. "But I don't care. I haven't slept for days, and I'm going to sleep now...and you're not sharing my bed, sorry. That would look..." I shuddered. "We couldn't be caught in the same bed, even though we'd be perfectly innocent. You understand, right?"

He, of course, nodded-- but didn't make a move to leave.

"I suppose you're going to stand guard?"

He nodded.

I growled and glared at him. "You need sleep too."

He lifted a shoulder.

"Fine then. Suit yourself. There's extra bedding in my wardrobe."

He soon had a bed made for himself in the floor, though he didn't look like he was going to sleep. I grin. "You know, you're really cute when you blush like you did a few minutes ago."

The color flooded to his face once more, and I fell asleep smiling.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:59 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire (Knave of Hearts)

"But I never said you had to go unnoticed. It wouldn't be fun if they didn't put up a fight." I said to Jubiah.

He sighed. Right in front of me. He sighed right in front of me.

"How much guards would usually come to check on you were down here before?" I asked.

"One or two, why?" he told me.

And when I came down here last time, there was no one at all. After they dropped us off, they must have went back to what they were doing before.
"When I give you the signal, I want you to run."

"Wha- What signal? What do you mea-"

"GUARDS! GUARDS! THIS BOY KEEPS SPITTING ON ME!"

"What are you doing, Lordshire?"

Two guards came rushing down the hall towards us. Perfect.

"The hell is going on here?" One guard asked.

"This filthy creature is spitting on me, and he continuously showers me with profanities." I told them.

"What! I never did any of that!" Jubiah protested.

"Of course he wouldn't confess! I demand we be put in separate chambers! If I'm going to rot down here, I'd rather it be as far away from this fiend as possible."

The guards look at one another, clearly amused. Fools.

They opened our cell door and began to walk towards Jubiah when I said, "No! If you let him out he'll just attack me. Move me instead."

They looked at me suspiciously, but whether it be because of my skinny figure or my annoying tone, they began to unlock my shackles. Once I was free, the first guard put his hand on my shoulder while the second fumbled with the rope at his side. Now. I grabbed the first guards arm and twisted it behind his back, with my hand around his throat. I spun around as the second guard swung at me with a blade, causing him to strike his partner. Pushing the first guard off of me, causing him to tumble onto the floor with his partner, I made my way out of the cell. My cane. They had dropped it just a few cells down, and I took off to retrieve it. Just as I had picked it up, I found the second guard making his way towards me.

"Come now, you can't say you didn't see this coming, could you?" I asked him.

He growled and ran at me. With a swift movement, I threw my stick at his head, which he dodged, and kicked him in the gut. He doubled over in pain. I pulled the blade out of his hand, retrieved my stick, and made my way back to Jubiah.

He froze when he saw me, "You, you could've gotten us killed!"

"But I didn't." I told him, smashing the chains on his hands and feet,

He stood, rubbing his wrists, "But what if there were more guards?"

"Go."

"What?"

"That was the signal. Now go. You know the plan."

"What about you?"

"I'll catch up."

He looked like he wanted to know more, but he took off without another word.

I walked back to the guard, who was getting up now. "Tell Yamani, that Lordshire is waiting for her in the throne room."

He looked at me, then at his blade in my hand, and took off. I smirked.
Right in front of me.
With that I left the dungeon.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

Lordshire has to be f*cking insane. I think as I race down the corridor and up the stairs, towards daylight and freedom. I run up the stairs and find myself outside in a courtyard, with not a single gaurd in sight. Wow, I think with a smirk, Clearly Yamini is preocupied. Rubbing my sore wrists, I stroll out of the castle grounds and into the town, headed for the usual bar. I have some recruiting to do.

I arrive at the bar a few minutes later, after going down different alleyways and weaving in and out of shops in case someone was actually following me. When I do arrive, I am sorry to see that Luna is not there at the moment, and niether is Lini. Oh well.

I sit down at one of the barstools and order a drink from the man running the bar. After getting my drink from the silent bartender, I meander over towards the grouping of sofas and chairs near the fireplace, where a few rebels are gathered. I take a swig of my drink and sit down with them.

After a few minutes of small talk, I whisper to them, just in case someone may be evesdropping, "Anyone else tired of the bloody red Queen?"

After a few strained seconds, a unanamous "Ay." replies, followed by swigs of beer.

"Look, if anyone wants to do something about this, meet me here, tomorrow night. Ten-thirty."

With that I walk out of the bar, not waiting for a reply. I walk out of the bar, back straight, fists clenched. My eyes are fixed in the direction of the rebel HQ, where I will recruit others. For once, I will not wait for others to act. I will not act as a damsel in distress. No, it is time for me to act. I, Jubiah Roost, will lead the rebels to victory.
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 pm
Alvarin says...

Haigha March - The March Hare
Why did she always make me blush? It was ridiculous. I was a soldier, not some schoolboy with a crush. I shook my head to clear my thoughts and sat down on the floor, by the foot of her bed. I was tired too, but I couldn't let myself sleep. Not while that rebel was still around. His talents were frightening.

I didn't know how long I sat there until a messenger knocked on the door. Three hours, maybe four. The queen said something that I couldn't understand, probably in her sleep, and I hurried to open the door and glared at the person outside so that he wouldn't wake the queen. I realized my mistake as soon as I saw his eyes widen. Me in the queens chambers would surely give him the wrong impression.

I closed the door behind me and nodded at him. He told me what had happened in the dungeons and I sighed. Were the soldiers really that incompetent? Instead of calling for backup and recapturing Lordshire he had chosen to deliver a message for him. Idiot.

"What am I supposed to do?" I frowned at the question and waved dismissively with my hand. Sometimes I really wished that I could tell people how useless they were without injuring them.

I went back into the queens' chambers and watched her for a minute. If I looked 'cute' when I blushed, then she looked like a goddess of peace when she slept. I couldn't remember anyone ever looking that peaceful, and I really didn't want to wake her up.

I found a paper and a pen, and wrote down an apology for waking her and the reason why I had to. After I had finished the note I bent down by her side and gently shook her shoulder.
Last edited by Alvarin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

50 Reviews

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:23 am
Pencil2paper says...

Spoiler! :
Hey, won't be on for a few days. Be back by the 30th. Please don't start the full-fledged rebellion without me!

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:54 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Spoiler! :
Not exactly 'later' huh? Sorry... :?

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

There was a knock at the door, rousing me from my sleep. "Bloody hell," I sighed, making no move to get the door. I heard Haigha rustling around at the foot of my bed. No...leave it alone, they might go away.

He pulled the door open, stiffened, and then stepped into the hall. I sighed. I need to get up...in a minute.

Someone was shaking my shoulder. I sat straight up, "I'm not asleep!"

I blushed slightly as I saw Haigha standing beside my bed. I rolled my shoulders, trying to shrug my idiocy off, as I read over the note Haigha offered. "Fuck."

One advantage to him not talking, was that he couldn't chastise me for my choice of words.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," I snarled, throwing the blankets back and stomping towards the door. "I'll kill the bastard."

I paused as I reached the door and glanced behind me, at Haigha, who was still standing by my bed, blushing, not looking at me. "What's wrong with--oh..."

I realized that I was wearing nothing but the boxers and undershirt I'd stolen from the barracks-- having me fully covered, but my arms and legs bare. Simply unacceptable for a Queen.

I sighed and dashed into my wardrobe, jerking on a pair of my satin trousers and a tunic, before stepping out, and looking around the room. I couldn't wear my veil. I couldn't see with it.

My eyes landed on the wigs that Jenny insisted on keeping-- she rarely got me wrestled into them, but for once I was glad for them. I quickly tossed one on, arranged the curls partially over my wounds, and started out the door, belting my sword on. "Come on, Haigha."

I stopped at a soldier standing nervously in the hall. "What are you still doing here?"

"I-er-"

"And why in the BLOODY HELL would you put Lordshire in the same cell as Jubiah?"

"I-er-"

"If you want to keep your head on your shoulder," I said, my words dripping with venom, "I suggest you assemble a squadron of soldiers and surround the Throne Room."

He snapped his jaw shut. "Ma'am." And scrambled off.

Sighing, I look at Haigha. "Ready?"

He nodded.

"I'll kill him," I muttered, as we strode towards the throne room.

I didn't figure Haigha would approve, so I refused to look at him. I brushed past the guards that tried to speak reason to me, and burst into the Throne Room. Lordshire was sitting in my throne, looking towards the door challengingly.

"OUT OF THE FUCKING THRONE!" I bellowed. Why does everyone sit in the throne. "MY ASS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT BELONGS THERE."

Lordshire smiled knowingly, and stood, lazily.

[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 am
View Likes
veeren says...

She has quite the temper. I examined her. She changed her clothes... and did her hair. All for me? I almost smirked.

No. This isn't the time. I got serious and looked the Queen right in the eyes. "You have to get everyone out of here."

"What are you babbling about now-"

"The rebels are about to launch an attack on your castle. You have to get everyone out of here, or at least hide them somewhere. It won't be worth it to fight back, not yet." I cut her off.

She was silent, probably deciding whether to believe me or kill me. Most likely the latter.

"I'd say you have some time before they show up. Enough time to make this castle look empty when they show up."

"What in the hell makes you think I'll listen to you?"

I considered my response for a moment before answering, "Because I stayed here."

She was silent once more.

"Believe it or not, I didn't come to this room because I was feeling arrogant. I'm smart enough to know where I'm not wanted," I told, noticing the increased guard activity outside the door, "I stayed because I wanted to warn you, to make sure nothing would happen to you."

She scoffed, "Now how do I know this isn't another one of your tricks."

I managed to keep my serious expression the whole time, but that question had almost, almost made me crack a smile. "I guess you'll just have to trust me."
-Plato's Symposium

30 Reviews

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 am
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Spoiler! :
I apologize beforehand for my crapy spelling, I'm posting from a phone that autocorrects everything to Swedish -.-'

Despite the gravity of the situation I couldn't help but smile at the Queen. She was probably the only monarch in the world who actually might walk outside without any clothes on.

I looked away while she put some clothes on. "Come on, Haigha."

I followed her to the throne room where Lordshire was waiting, just like the soldier had said that he would. I frowned when I saw him sitting on the Queens throne. Didn't he think that he had gotten into enough problems already? Before I had time to do anything about it, the Queen started shouting at him, just like I had expected her to. I had not, on the other hand, expected Lordshire's answer.

For once I found myself agreeing with Lordshire. He wouldn't have stayed if he wasn't serious. Though the part about him staying because he wanted to ensure the Queen's safety was obviously a load of bull. He just wanted to prove that she could trust him, so that he'd get to control the army. But that didn't matter right now. I had to get her to safety. The rebel who traveled through shadows was probably among the ones who were going to attack the castle.

Miranda Marble - The White Queen
I couldn't help but notice the ruckus downstairs. The rebels were running to and from, actually doing something for once. In the middle of it all I spotted Jubiah. Jubiah who were supposed to still be in the dungeons, waiting for Minerva to break him out. It looked like he was ordering the rebels around.

"Hello there, Jubiah," I said with a girlish smile. "Mind explaining what you're doing?"

He froze for a second, and then turned to look at me. "We're attacking the castle," he said bluntly. His answer caught me of guard, and I didn't know whether to yell or to.. Well, blow his brains out with my shotgun.

I fingered at the leather band that held my shotgun to my shoulder, making Jubiah tense up. "Okay then. I said and shrugged. But I'm coming with you and I'm killing the bloody red queen." Jubiah looked like he was going to protest, so I added: "Unless you want me to order my men to stand down?"

"Fine, you can have her."

I smiled. "Now would you mind telling me what happened after you and Lordshire left?"
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

50 Reviews

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:04 am
View Likes
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

Smiling, Miranda said sweetly, although I wasn't fooled with the shotgun on her back, "Now would you mind telling me what happened after you and Lordshire left?"

Stuttering a little, not looking at her but rather the shotgun on her back, I said, "Well, Lordshire brought me to the castle as planned, but we brought a friend with us." She raises her eyebrows. I considered not saying anymore, but the shotgun gleamed in the light and before I knew what I was doing, I was talking again. "His name is Ellon and he-he's a rebel. He can vanish in the shadows, completely unseen. Lordshire had him threaten the Queen to try and get more out of their deal. It backfired and Lordshire was thrown in the dungeons with me. Figuring that Yamini was so pissed that she might kill us before you got the chance to free us-" Or more likely let us rot because we weren't useful to you anymore, I think bitterly. "We decided to take matters into our own hands. He told me to gather all the rebels and storm the castle. He stayed back to talk to Yamini" Miranda arches her eyebrows again, puzzled. "I don't know why, but I trust him." I was shocked at having said these words, but I realized in an instant they were true. Despite the fact that he handed me over to the Queen twice, I trusted that bastard with my life.

"Then you are even stupider then you look." She said, and promptly turned on her heel and walked over to the other rebels, hopefully to help rally them into action.

I hope I'm not as stupid for doing this and trusting Lordshire. I even think I'm even dumber than Miranda thinks I am. But wether its a stupid idea or not, things were getting done.

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 am
Shady says...

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

"You have to get everyone out of here." Lordshire said.

"What are you babbling about now-"

"The rebels are about to launch an attack on your castle. You have to get everyone out of here, or at least hide them somewhere. It won't be worth it to fight back, not yet." He cut me off.

I stared at him for a long moment, my rant cut short, considering what could possess him to stay. I was still so very tired, thought, admittedly, I was feeling a bit better--but not well enough to put up with Lordshire's shirt, or try to keep ahead of him. I should just off him and be through with it.

"I'd say you have some time before they show up. Enough time to make this castle look empty when they show up."

"What in the hell makes you think I'll listen to you?" I snapped.

"Because I stayed here."

I glared at him. He had a point...he'd also proven himself trustworthy...to Miranda. He'd just broke out of my bloody prison, after all...

"Believe it or not, I didn't come to this room because I was feeling arrogant. I'm smart enough to know where I'm not wanted...I stayed because I wanted to warn you, to make sure nothing would happen to you."

"Now how do I know this isn't another one of your tricks?" I scoffed.

"I guess you'll just have to trust me." His eyes shimmered with a joke, though his expression stayed dead serious.

I didn't trust him. I wouldn't trust him. I could feel Haigha bristling beside me. I glanced at him. I figured I only had a few moments before Haigha grabbed me and ran off, again.

"Lordshire, I don't trust you as far as I can throw you, and I'd venture to guess that you weigh a good deal more than me."

He wasn't amused. Haigha was nearly twitching, longing to get me to safety. A crash in the distance-- it seemed he was right. Haigha started towards me. I side stepped. "No! No, no, no."

I raised my hands defensively, glaring between them. Another crash.

"Fine," I sighed, "What did you have in mind?"

Lordshire smiled, victorious. "I think you would be safest in the Northern tower..."

"Which means we're going South," I turned, "Come on Haigha, you can run blocker--I see you're itching to."

Lordshire's victory didn't seem to be going as planned...he didn't look pleased.

[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 am
View Likes
veeren says...

North tower, south tower, I didn't care. I just needed them out of here.

"Fine. Go on ahead. I'll just make sur-"

"Oh no no no. You're not getting away again. You're coming with us this time." Yamani cut me off.

I was going to argue, but the look Haigha gave me kept me quiet.

"Fine. If you suspect me that much, I'll come along with you. But as soon as this is over..." I left the rest to her.

"We'll see."

Reluctantly I began walking towards them, and they turned to make their way out the door. Trying to be as subtle as possible, I dropped my stick on to the floor. Praying that it would fall into the right hands, I exited the room.
-Plato's Symposium

30 Reviews

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:58 pm
Alvarin says...

I pulled my sword and led the way towards the southern tower. We didn't encounter anyone on the way, but I could hear them coming from behind. I opened one of the door, peeked inside to make sure it was empty and then gestured for them to get in there quickly. I hurried inside and closed that door just in time. We heard rebel soldiers run past the door, shouting that they had seen us go that way.

When the danger was over I handed one of my guns to the Queen. She looked at me with a quizzical face. I nodded towards Lordshire. I knew she had a sword, but I would prefer if she kept him at a safe distance.

A sudden realization seemed to strike her. "Where are you going?" I pulled my sword and nodded towards the door. "The other soldiers can take care of the rebels." I raised an eyebrow. "No, you're right, they're a bunch of idiots, but so are the rebels."

I cocked my head to the side and looked at her with a wry smile. I had grown up among those soldiers. Idiots or not, I had to help them.. And besides, I was probably still invulnerable. Probably. I wasn't going to take any chances.

I took a step towards the Queen, glared and Lordshire and then bent down and kissed her before I left, closing the doors behind me. I hurried towards the sounds of battle.

Miranda Marble - The White Queen
I was inside the castle again. The castle where I had grown up. The castle that I had been banished from. Now I was going to kill her. I was finally going to kill her.

I hurried through the fighting soldiers, rebels and heart, and into the throne room. I cursed loudly when I saw that it was empty. Where the fuck had that coward gone?!

That's when I spotted Lordhires cain on the floor. No way in hell that he would just go and drop it, unless it had been taken from me, or he had tried to leave a clue. It was pointing to the north.. Or was it the south? Fuck. I might as well start with the north side. "Jubiah!" I shouted over the sound of battle.

I spotted him among the others, pulling a knife out of a soldier. He walked over to me, most unwillingly. "What?"

"They're either on the north or south side. Tell me when you find them." He stood, gawking at me for quite a while. "Go and find them for me. Now!"
― Thomas Harris

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:18 am
megsug says...

Minerva
I was... having difficulties.

I was not a fighter. I was a spy. I gave people information so they could fight. Oh, I could hold a sword, make a show, but doubted I could fend for myself in the midst of it all.

Coming to the castle was not my most intelligent move as it was being invaded.

So, I resorted to the air vents, being far more careful than that idiot Yamani had found just...

I put a hand to my head. Time was blurring together. I couldn't remember when we had found the rat out in the throne room.

I stopped, looking in on the throne room. Yamani, Haigha, and Lordshire were all speaking. I had come in too late to know what about, something of towers and what not. Suddenly, they hurried out, leaving the room, completely empty.

My eyes narrowed as Lordshire dropped his stick. He was always up to something, and... he seemed to be playing for both sides which would mean that now...

Was this stick to help us or help the Hearts?

I slid out of the vent, jogging toward the cane, and studied it shrewdly. Slowly, I picked it up, unsure of what to do with it exactly.

Sighing, I glanced out the door. I could hear rebels clattering down the hall. Soon, they would be visible. I slipped out and following the trio.

...Yamani had said South Tower?
Test

50 Reviews

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:12 am
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

As I walk through the ranks of rebel soldiers, gingerly stepping over the crumpled, still forms on the ground- both Heart and rebel- I hear Miranda's shrill voice cry out "Jubiah!" In a commanding tone. Great, I think. Just what I needed, Miranda trying to order me around, when I was the one that got the rebels off their asses, not her.

Reluctantly, I walk over to her, pulling my knife- one of many- out of a rebel soldier's chest. As I look down at his blanched, bloated face, I am delighted to see that it is one of the Hearts who had taunted me and taken me to the dungeons before. Revenge certainly was sweet. However, that sweetness couldn't last forever- I had Miranda to deal with.

Wiping my blade off on my shirt, I grudgingly walked the last few feet to where Miranda stood. "What?" I said irritably to her as I approached, all traces of happiness at killing my tormentor gone.

"They're either on the north or south side. Tell me when you find them." How the hell was I supposed to know? Why were they even in the towers? I just stood there, gawking at her, unbelieving. She can't be serious. "Go and find them for me. Now!"

Who the hell did she think she was? Suddenly, all of the rage that I had been suppressing boiled over, and I screamed at her, "You aren't f*cking in charge here! I organized this! I got the rebels off their asses, not you! This is my show, and it seems to me I've done a damn good job so far. Certainly better than you have! Why don't you go f*cking find them yourself? Or are you too scared to face your dear sister alone?"

By this point, the soldiers had fallen silent, the battles stopped. They were all instead gawking at the stupid boy who dare stand up against the dreaded White Queen. The boy that would most likely be killed in the next few minutes, if not earlier.

She was speechless. I doubted anyone had ever said no to her in her life. But I saw her reaching for the hilt of her knife, ready to strike me dead for defying her. "What? Now that I'm not your obedient little pet you're going to kill me? Your no better than your sister! Hell, your worse!" I spat.

I waited patiently for her to kill me, but I was not going down without a fight. I whipped out two blades, one in each hand. I was not going to rebel against one tyrant to put another on the throne. I was not ready to die for the rebels' cause, but I was ready to die for my own.

935 Reviews

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 pm
Shady says...

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

Damn, the boy had no sense of timing. He refused to kiss me when we were alone, and I was in the mood, but here, in front of Lordshire, in the middle of a bloody battle, he decided to become hopelessly in love.

I stared after him, at the shut door. I heard Lordshire clear his throat.

"Not a word, if you want to live," I snarled, turning towards him.

He tossed his hands up and bowed slightly, smirking.

I paced back and forth, growing more and more apprehensive by the moment. I realized that Lordshire didn't have his stick anymore...I didn't know where it was, but I figured it was doing something to rat me out.

Finally, I could take it no longer. "Lordshire."

"Yes?"

"You're a dirty, conviving little rat."

He glared.

"I resent that," I drowsy voice said from the corner.

I jumped and turned towards the source of the voice, a smallish, hairy creature.

"Ah...I apologize."

"Mm..." The creature closed its eyes and seemed to fall asleep.

"Well as long as he's not offended," I murmur, rolling my eyes.

"I might be." Lordshire interjected.

"I don't give a damn," I snarled.

"How very Queenly of you."

"Shut the fuck up." I snarled, swinging the gun on him a bit awkwardly, as I rarely practiced with firearms.

“Or what?” Lordshire asked challenging, taking a step nearer to me.

“Or I’ll knock your ass out,” I twisted the gun, making it into a better club, knowing that actually killing the bastard would make a huge political uproar.

Not to mention I had very little skills with guns. They were great inventions. I loved guns. But the ugly truth of the matter was that my father had never allowed me to become familiar with guns, and so, as an adult, my aim was poor and my pride vetoed them.

“Not like that, you won’t,” the drowsy creature said.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, as Lordshire and I both looked at the creature.

“Get a firm grasp on the barrel—wrap your fingers all the way around it—firmer than that— that’s it. Now aim for his temple, just before the hairline-”

Lordshire had already begun his retreat, but I was faster, and my arm was already in motion. Lordshire crumpled to the ground.

“Thanks,” I said, nodding to the creature. “Er—Mr…?”

“I am the Dormouse. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“Right,” I nodded. “I’m Yamani.”

“I am aware of who you are. You are Yamani, Queen of Wonderland, Queen of the Hearts, haughty and insufferable at times, but pure at heart.”

“You’re very honest.” I glared.

“I do try to be.”

“You’re also annoying.” He wasn’t. I just wasn’t in the mood for him to search my soul—there was a war going on.

“How would you know? We’ve only just met.”

“But if you’re always like this, you’d be very annoying.”
“Now you’re adding stipulations.”

“It means the same thing.”

“It does not.”

“Well that’s what I meant.”

“Well say what you mean and mean what you say.”

I glared.

“Now, if you’re looking to get out of this room before the Duchess arrives, I suggest you leave shortly.”

I looked around. “Right…I don’t feel like fighting Minerva today. It’s been a bad enough start to this bloody day as it is.”

“In which case, I do not recommend using that air vent,” The Dormouse gestured.

I inclined my head. “Thank you.”

I grabbed the rope coiled nearby and tied it off. I began to thread it out a window.

“That window leads directly to an oil-filled moat.”

“Thank you again,” I changed my choice of windows, and threw the rope down.

I poked my head out the window and took a deep breath. I tested the rope several times before scrambling onto the windowsill.

“When Haigha comes back--”

“I shall be most punctual in alerting him as to your direction. I wouldn’t want the poor boy to fret.”

Knowing he was making fun of me, but not really caring, I began lowering myself out, until only my head was visible. “And if Minerva comes by, would you mind not telling her…”

“I wouldn’t think of it.”

“I am indebted to you.”

“That’s very good to know. I shall collect one day very soon.”

“What does that-”

“Your head start is dwindling.”

I lowered myself to the ground, sending suspicious glances above me every so often, breathing heavily. “If only,” I swallowed. “My only fear weren’t heights…”

Finally my feet touched precious ground, and I had an impulse to kiss it. Refraining, I sprinted through my gardens, blending into the forage, deciding where to go next.

[they/he]

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl