z

Young Writers Society

The Hand That Mocked Them

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Fri May 20, 2022 8:58 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

He only nodded in response, closing the door behind the visitor. Something was off about them. Something in how the little thing moved was strange, unnatural.

"What is your interest in my business?"
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri May 20, 2022 9:03 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I...am on the lookout for information regarding the demons, and knowledge of the occult in general," Hieronymus said carefully. "I would be willing to offer you a small sum in return for one of your books, or in return for your help with a small problem I have."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

95 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 9:07 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"My books are invaluable to my work, I will not be parted from any of them," Kivvien responded. "As for the problem, it depends on what it is. If I am able I may offer some services." All the while he was talking he was trying to decide quite what this creature was. Nothing he knew of was quite so small.

he/they

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 9:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Someone I know has been asleep for too long. A coma of magical sourcing, I believe. I need a way to wake this person up but my own abilities are limited at the moment." He wrung his hands. "I need an alchemist or a mage, either to teach me or discover the problem and solve it. But none have listened to my pleas."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

95 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien considered this. "I don't believe that is enough information for me to help you," he confessed.

he/they

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What more would you like me to give?" Hieronymus asked eagerly. "I can detail his symptoms."

she/her

95 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 10:11 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien shook his head. "What, precisely, are you?" he asked, somewhat rudely.

he/they

112 Reviews

Fri May 20, 2022 10:13 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Hieronymus hesitated again, stiffening where he sat in the little cradle that made up the top of his leg prosthetics. "I'm a servant of a great alchemist," he ventured at last. "And what I am is of no relevance to the situation."

she/her

95 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 1:37 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"A great alchemist..." Kivvien raised an eyebrow. It couldn't be...but he had seen failed versions of such a task. Those had looked rather different, but the similarities were there.

Whatever sad sack had put this abomination together was no 'great alchemist'. Brilliant, possibly, but not 'great' by any definition Kivvien would use for someone of such a profession.

"I see," he said curtly. "I am no healer or curse breaker. It will take significant motivation for me to stray from my current path to practice outside my specialty, and as it stands, I see no use for you that could satisfy that."

he/they

112 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 1:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

That stung more than Hieronymus cared to admit. He had been spoken to in such a way more times than he could count by his master, but speaking on his own terms with this avioid, it felt far more personal.
"My master could assist you on your quest," he offered. "He has long tried to end this demon scourge, and I'm sure he would be honored to become your ally in this endeavor."

she/her

95 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien was about to outright turn the offer down, but then he paused. Someone who was willing to push things further than a typical student of the elements could be useful. A perspective like that could push the work Kivvien had done already to a point he could not reach otherwise.

He would just have to throw away his principles to do it.

But what use were principles in a dying world? He could very well waste away with his nose in the air if he didn't take a risk.

"In which college of the craft did your master study?" he asked after the pause.

he/they

112 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 2:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"He dabbled in the occult but focused primarily on the improvement of human anatomy through alchemical means," Hieronymus replied promptly. "He was quite good, too; he taught at Talo University before he was removed."

she/her

95 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 2:10 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Talo. That wasn't exactly something to dismiss.

"And how far would I have to travel to deal with this...situation?"

he/they

112 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 2:11 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He thought for a moment. "I'm afraid it's a week's journey to my master's cottage, sir, but I can make it worth your while. And in the end it will be worth more than gold anyway--he'd help you!"

she/her

95 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 2:17 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien sighed. "Your desperation is painful to watch, homunculus."

It wasn't entirely wrong, however. There could be some benefit in dealing with this inconvenience.

he/they

Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria