z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 4)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:42 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Zander got one," Tomhas murmured. "I think Gaius took down the other." He wondered where Gaius was, how he was doing. He didn't have a problem with blood, but surely he must be struggling with his own demons right now.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:44 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"You killed two people?" Ky asked, bewildered.

It wasn't a fearful glance -- but she did look betrayed. Zander softened his gaze as looked at her. "Don't worry about it. I just did what I had to."

"No, I am going to worry about it," she argued. "Now four people are dead because of me."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:47 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"They would have killed you," Tomhas said softly. "Nobody was going to let that happen."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:50 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky swallowed hard, looking down at her own lap. "My life isn't worth that of four other people."

"Ky... Ky, look at me," Zander said, hesitating until she did. "This isn't your fault in the least. You are just existing. Every last one of those men came after you-- and these were the consequences of their actions. They'd still be alive now if they hadn't chosen to come try to hurt you. This is on them, not you, or us, or anyone else. It's on them."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:25 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas nodded in agreement. "You're not to blame," he told her. "And I won't let anyone harm you, ever again. Understand?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:33 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky looked back at him tiredly and nodded. She was silent for a long, long moment. Her emotions were eating her up inside. She didn’t know what to do. She clearly couldn’t stay here. She’d rather ride into certain death than risk having an assassin skulking through the Keep looking for her. With any luck, it’s be quick. It seemed Nyler was told to make it quick, not torture her. Unless he was and was just rushed with how things went down. It was hard to say.

“I don’t want to bring bad luck to Caracal Keep,” she said at last, voice gentle. “I could never live with myself if they hurt one of you, trying to get to me.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"There's no such thing as luck in this world," Tomhas told her.
"We'll keep them away." Anneke gave her a one-armed hug, careful of her arm. "We have walls and guards; nobody will get in here."
"We all ought to go to Serpent Keep," Tomhas mused. "It's safer there. More guards, higher walls. More locks."
"We're not going to Serpent Keep," Anneke said firmly. "We're perfectly fine right here, all of us."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky felt a strange sense of calm as Anneke wrapped her arm around her — and she leaned into her. She couldn’t stay here. She’d make them see it eventually. But for now, she has a mama giving out mama-hugs and she was going to take advantage of it.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas rocked back slightly, face pained. He suddenly wanted very badly to be out of this Keep and safely behind the walls of Serpent Keep. It was a place of nightmares and horrible, horrible memories, but it would keep Ky and his other children safe. It would keep them all safe because Gaius was there, and Gaius kept hundreds of guards on duty at all times. Perhaps Tomhas ought to hire more for here. Or maybe he should just send the children to Serpent Keep. After all, he was on the verge of war with Tarr. What better place to protect them from that bastard than Serpent Keep?

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:46 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky really did feel so badly. Emotionally, but also physically. The adrenaline had worn off now and left a substantial amount of pain. She wasn’t letting it show, of course. Could never let it show. But it hurt. Was there medicine in the tea that would help numb it? She silently looked for her cup, and Tadaaki handed it to her. She took a deep breath and forced herself to sit upright on her own, but made no attempt to stop her shoulders from slumping as she sipped the tea. The temperature was better now.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:51 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius limped in a few minutes later and sank onto one of the beds, nearly dropping his cane. "I need poppy," he said thinly to Laura. "Lots of poppy."
"Your leg?" Laura asked. When he nodded, she headed to a locked cupboard. Gaius had wiped his hands on his trousers, but they were still fairly bloody. He glanced at Tomhas, then at Ky. "Are you two feeling better?" he asked after a pause.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:54 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Better seemed relative. Her confusion was gone. And she felt more alert now, even though there was a haze around her mind still. But she was focused on the tea. It wasn’t helping. But she knew she needed to get her fluids up so that her blood would make itself again.

But, he didn’t need to know any of that. So instead she just silently nodded.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:57 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas nodded as well, though he was far from okay. He would speak with Gaius about matters later, see if he'd let them stay. He'd have to discuss it with Anneke as well and bring her around to the idea.
Gaius rested his back against the wall, stretching his leg out painfully on the bed. Every kind of pain was going through it right now, and it was all he could do not to growl it out.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:00 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky looked at him a long moment. Somehow, it felt disrespectful to ask. Like pandering. She didn’t want him to think she was being rude. But she still wanted to ask, “Are you okay?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:02 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius raised his head. "That's debatable. I'm alive, which is more than I can say for the gentlemen outside. But on the other hand I'm not sure I'll be able to walk to my bedchamber."

she/her

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein