z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 17)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:11 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Froenig turned and said something to Strithr, who strode down from the hill and waded into the fray. The warriors didn't seem to notice their presence at all. Strithr kept walking until they were beside the warrior, then whispered something, pointing. She turned, spotting something to her left, and charged off.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:12 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica subconsciously stepped forward, trying to follow.

(Her fomo is real lol)

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hee hee hee)

She leaped on another warrior, who had anticipated her arrival and brought up his sword to block. He stumbled back, and it was clear she had only once goal in mind as she pursued him. Strithr stayed where they were, watching.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She watched, then looked up at Strithr. “Who is that?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:03 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

There was no response; the god didn't seem to hear her at all.
The woman overpowered her adversary quickly, and within seconds she had torn his head from his lower jaw. She lifted him up by the hair, then hurled the head at another warrior. She paused, swaying, then wandered toward the edge of the battle. Strithr followed after her, and none of the warriors paid her or them any mind.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Daaamn!” She followed after them, eyes filled with admiration.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:48 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hehe)

The scene changed again. Two jarls knelt at Strithr's feet on a mountaintop. One was massive and battle-scarred. The other had scars as well but was smaller, and one of his eyes was missing. They were praying in Nortung, and the one-eyed jarl was shaking slightly.
Strithr wore one face--a cool, androgynous one with no expression at all. When the pair had finished praying, they spoke with the voice of Them, also in Nortung but with a strange accent. They looked between the two, who kept their foreheads pressed into the snow.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:00 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica furrowed her brow, confused.

(I just relocated a snake for a woman and it was such a dopamine rush to do a good deed and play with a cute little snake lol)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:40 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Aww sweet! Snakes are awesome)

They finished speaking, then turned away. The larger man stayed down but said something else; it appeared he was protesting.
Strithr turned back, gazing down in silence. Then they bent down. The smaller man's trembling redoubled. Strithr reached out a hand and tapped the larger man on the head. He began to shake as well, then slowly his face grew red. It reddened further, and his eyes began to bleed. His face sank into the snow and he went limp.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Yeah! It was adorable. And she already had it caught but was scared to let it go haha so my job was easy)

Jerica watched in silence. Damn. Clearly not forgiving, then. But, then, she couldn’t understand what the man had said. Did he deserve forgiveness? If he was a jarl, he probably didn’t.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Poor snakey. I'm glad it's okay.)

Strithr turned and walked away, saying something to the remaining jarl as they left. The jarl nodded rapidly, staying down until Strithr had disappeared from sight before getting to his feet and scrambling down the mountain.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica watched this in silence as well, wondering what was being said. Was she going to have to learn a new language? Ugh.
Attachments
6CE59262-DA56-41CC-AC66-41CBCCCF32E6.jpeg

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:08 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Aw so little! Is that a corn snake?)

"They are a patron," said the voice of Them. "A general. A shepherd. They offer blessings to those who gave their lives in battle, they strengthen those they support."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Close! Gray rat snake, but they’re in the same genus and look pretty similar ^^)

“…do they speak my language?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:18 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Ah cool!)

"They can," they mused. "They will have to learn, but gods are fast."

she/her

This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.
— Winston Churchill