z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 8)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue May 03, 2022 3:00 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius continued walking, going silent once again. He supposed she'd make conversation again if she wanted to. If not, he was perfectly happy with that as well. She seemed much more composed than she had inside, at least.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue May 03, 2022 3:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky sighed inaudibly and walked next to him, half a step behind. Was he going to subject her to silence again? Grill her to evaluate his performance, then leave her to sweat in the silence that followed? Where could she even go from something like this? No topic seemed safe around this man.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 3:12 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He remembered Emery being a lot like this in the beginning. Quiet and subservient, afraid to insult his rescuer. He'd grown out of it of course, but that had taken a lot of time.
He had been a teenager when Gaius took him in, too, but Gaius had been close enough in age that it wasn't as foreign as Ky felt. She had come from an entirely different situation, too.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 3:16 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Apparently, yes. She buried her hands in her pockets, still trying to think of a safe topic. The only things she could think of were trite, which would be tiresome to them both. But she couldn't talk about the situation. Talk about her parents. Talk about Zander. Talk about trainers. Talk about how utterly miserable she was because of all of those things.

He was making a noble effort at being supportive. And doing a fairly good job of distracting her. But they both knew he didn't actually want her to open up to him. And she didn't particularly want that, either.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 3:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What do you suppose your friend is up to?" Gaius asked after a few moments. "Rönn."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 3:35 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky glanced at him, grateful he offered a safe topic. "Um... I mean, I assume he sleeps during the day. I don't know that he's allowed to be out when it's light."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 3:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I don't recall being forbidden from light in the legends," he mused. "I suppose that's on point for the gods, though. Where does he sleep?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 3:48 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh... I mean... I guess he didn't really say he can't. I just assumed... and I don't know. I also assume somewhere out of sight. People are cruel to him -- he doesn't want to be seen."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 4:04 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Mm." Gaius glanced again towards the south wall. "He's a fascinating fellow; you're lucky to have met him."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded in agreement, following his gaze. "...I'm glad he came back. I would have looked like a liar if he hadn't."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Tribesmen of the North place a lot of value on words and oaths," Gaius replied. "If he said he would come, he was going to come."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 4:11 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded. "Well... good. He's nice... ish. I quite like him."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 4:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Despite the cannibalism and murder. Gaius could understand it, though. And it wasn't quite entirely Rönn's fault. That was what was so terrible about curses--nobody could do anything about them, really.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 4:15 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"...I'm glad he's going to protect Zander, too. He'll be safe as far as Rönn is willing to go with him."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 4:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Do you suppose he'll be willing to leave the Northern Realm?" Gaius asked. He doubted it; Rönn was very old. In his experience, the elderly were rather set in their ways and didn't fancy travel.

she/her

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)