z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky returned the smile. It was easier this time. More genuine.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance,” she said brightly, reaching out to shake his hand firmly. It was moments like these that were an odd reminder of her new freedom. Her binder would have dug into her side before — she’d been half bracing herself for the pain, and was delighted when it didn’t come. “How do you do?”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I do very well, thank you. And you? You look exhausted; the journey here certainly isn't the easiest, is it?"

"Tarr harmed her?" Gaius's face was unreadable, but he made a mental note to personally drive a sword through the man's throat at the end of this war.
"I took her home to keep him away." Tomhas was crumbling before his eyes; his brother wasn't cut out for war and it was showing. "I took her home and I wrote to him to annul the marriage, and I know it'll mean war with him as well as you but I couldn't--I couldn't stand seeing her like that, Gaius. I..."
"You realize you've just admitted a strategic weakness to your primary enemy?" Gaius interrupted. "Why would you do that?" Tomhas looked up wearily.
"I don't want to fight you," he murmured. "I never did. We can figure out a compromise about Cecily's lands and yours, but by the gods I don't want to fight you."
"Are you surrendering?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Just so," Ky agreed. Was it really that obvious? She didn't like traveling. And she certainly didn't like doing it in the cold. And she'd been nervous about meeting Ash in the first place -- which was, she now believed, justified. "But I'm doing quite well nonetheless! Honored to have a place at this table."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Well, you're Lord Loquitur's ward now. Of course you have a seat here." He paused. "That's the truth, then? He's adopted you, said the rites and all that?"

"Surrender implies my forces have dwindled to the point where I have no choice," Tomhas pointed out. "What I'm asking for is a draw. You don't have to be my brother, you don't have to be my friend. But I want an end to this before anyone else loses blood over two hotheaded nobles who could solve this problem like adults rather than pit innocent people against one another."
Gaius sat in silence, twirling the knob of his cane with his good hand. Then he leaned forward. "I'm not Michael," he said finally. "I don't fight wars for no reason. But tempers were high when we last spoke, and I'm not proud of the way I handled things. We've sunk too much into this, though. The Bledroes and the Barrasters are involved, and like it or not you've created a mess with the Tarrs. We can't just pull out after two months. It just isn't done."
"But it can be. For our families. We can reimburse our allies, give them back the money they spent and the food they donated. It's that simple."
"Nothing is ever simple with war," Gaius disagreed. "There are papers to be signed, apologies to make."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:02 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I don't know, sir," Ky answered honestly. "There were no rites... and I'm rather startled by the implications shared here by his Lordships." Ky hesitated. It was his Lordship, or your Lordship. She'd never had to refer to multiple Lords in the third person. "Their Lordships?" She flushed. She was looking stupid, and yet she still couldn't quite shut up. Instead, she kept digging the hole deeper for herself. "Lord Loquitur and Lord Ash."

(also I meant to say this in my last response but I'm so pleased Gaius also wants Tarr dead xD everyone @ Tarr: go die in a fire)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(XD I'm hoping it gets to happen but we'll have to see.)

"Oh? Didn't Lord Loquitur say anything about wardship or guardianship or the like?"

"We can do that," Tomhas urged. "The Ladies Barraster will be more than happy that the war is ending; they didn't want it in the first place. And whatever you promised Lord Bledroe I'm sure he'll be willing to let it go."
"He'll be offended and the two of us will be seen as petulant children." Gaius shifted restlessly, gripping his cane tightly. "Our reputations--"
"To hell with our reputations! We're brothers. We can say we reached a peaceful understanding and then everyone will be happy that they didn't have to waste any more resources on us. King Harold will be delighted, too. Two warring Magistrates isn't good for politics."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:22 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(everyone: ooh! ooh! pick me! I'll do it!)
(also I am looking forward so much to one of the brothers slaughtering Aleth eventually lol)

"I-I think I may just be clueless, sir," Ky admitted, flushing an even deeper shade of crimson. She needed to shut up. She shouldn't have started this conversation in the first place. When would she learn to keep her mouth shut? "He told me he'd keep me safe and help me get started in a career and that I could stay with them as long as I'd like... so... I guess, maybe?"

Ky wrung her hands anxiously in her lap, hoping no one would notice under the table.

"I just never imagined -- I would never presume --" She forced herself to take a deep breath, but kept her gaze on Emery. She didn't want to see the judgmental looks she knew she must be getting from everyone else. Here she was, acting like a stupid little girl, when she was supposed to be representing Loquitur well. "I'm just a servant." She reiterated. She wasn't quite sure why the Lords were denying that fact. "... but his lordship didn't deny Lord Ash's claims... so... maybe?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Emery smiled slightly. "Well, I wish you all the best. Tomhas seems like he'd be a great father. I know he would, actually. I've seen him with his kids."

That was true. Harold had been conflicted at best when Tomhas and Gaius had approached him asking permission for war. He'd granted the request with reluctance. If he issued a royal decree declaring the war over, there would be no one to argue otherwise. But the business with Tomhas taking Lyra away from Tarr would be seen as an affront as well, and Tarr would go looking for war. King Harold could certainly deny the request, but would Tarr be smart enough to accept that?
"What do you say, Gaius?" Tomhas asked, rising and crouching in front of his brother with his hand outstretched. "Can we end this and be brothers again?"
Gaius eyed his hand, then sighed and stood. "I need to think about this," he muttered. "Two days, Tomhas. May I have two days?"
"Of course, of course!" Tomhas stood as well, a wide grin already spreading across his face. "Take some time to think it over."
"And know this." Gaius pointed at him as he drew back the flap of the tent. "If I say no after two days and Tarr declares war on you, I have your back. On my honor as an Ash, that boy won't touch your daughter again so long as I live."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:34 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(lmaoooo Ash: I will beat you, but I will also make sure Tarr does not. Classic big sibling vibes)

"Yes, sir," Ky smiled at that. She longed for Loquitur to have paternal affection for her. She certainly felt a paternal sense of protection radiating from him, regardless. "His children adore him, and for good reason. He's very good to them. To us."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:38 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Reminds me of the Sisters song from White Christmas!)

"He's a good chap, to be certain. He and Lord Ash both, I think, are good eggs. It's a wonder they turned out the way they did." He looked up as Gaius and Tomhas reentered the tent. "Ah, welcome back, gentlemen." Gaius and Tomhas both nodded to Emery. Tomhas looked as if he might burst with excitement as he sat back down beside Ky, and his leg bounced rapidly. Gaius looked substantially more grave than before, if that was even possible, and when he had seated himself he made a hand gesture to Sera and Xander under the table: We need to talk after lunch. Private.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:40 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Well, something had happened.

That much was obvious to both Ky and Aleth.

But Ky was pleased to see Loquitur so giddy. Was the war over? Or... was it getting close to being over?

Aleth had a cool interest in it as well. The energy radiating from the brothers was very different, and he wondered what it all meant.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:45 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I see the stag's not here yet," Tomhas said, clasping his hands together in front of them. "Well, shall we all have some more mead?"
"I'd rather keep my wits about me," Sera replied, though there was the ghost of a smile on her stern face. Gaius nodded in agreement. His mead had been untouched this whole time.
"I'll have some more," General Wai said, and Captain Bay pushed his glass forward as well.
"Me, too." Emery held up his glass.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Would they have given Ky any? lol)

Aleth followed suit, pushing his glass forward for a refill. He had a rather high tolerance when it came to alcohol and was nowhere near danger of becoming drunk, yet. And he could use a little something to take the edge off his discomfort.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Yeah she's fifteen and it's basically medieval times; she got some mead.)

Tomhas poured out the mead, making eye contact with Aleth as he did so. Then he sat back and poured himself some as well.
Gaius finally reached for his glass of mead and took a long sip, sighing heavily. He would guess that both Xander and Sera would be for ending the war. He had half convinced himself that he was, too. It would certainly be easier than dragging it out another five years. But Tarr was going to be an obstacle no matter what, unless he listened to King Harold. And Tarr was an impulsive lad, not prone to heeding authority. That could get him in real trouble.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Valid! I figured as much but wanted to check)

Ky picked up her glass of mead and took a sip, nursing it. She certainly wasn't going to drink it fast -- or get a second glass. She was already rambling like an idiot and looking like a fool, sober. She didn't want to add drunkness to the mix. Who knew but she might let her emotions surrounding Aleth run away and get the better of herself, if she didn't carefully guard them with literally every last drop of willpower she possessed.

Aleth took his glass and sat back with it, coolly meeting Loquitur's gaze. If this war was to end soon, that was fine with him. It was ideal, actually. He could get his pay. Get his servants. And be on his way. He was more than fed up with this whole debacle as it was.

(What is this? Ash considering not being dumb? xD)

[they/he]

so many languages have fallen / off of the edge of the world / into the dragon's mouth.
— Lucille Clifton