z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 9)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri May 13, 2022 8:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He ran his hands through his hair, tugged at it hard. He was here. He was in the library, safe. It was 382. He had a two sons and a daughter. He was married. He had two new nieces. The gods were waking up.
Gaius closed his eyes tightly, wishing desperately he could find the strength to get up and find his wife
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri May 13, 2022 9:02 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky started up the stairs, each step deliberate, as she tried to predict what may be coming for her.

Start with the physical.

What could he do to her?

Beyond the obvious. He wouldn't execute her or physically torture her, she was certain. She was also reasonably certain he wouldn't lock her in the dungeon or something.

He could toss her out, but he wouldn't do that. She was also certain of that. That'd be a reward -- sending her home. They both knew that's what she wanted.

He could toss Tadaaki and his family out. That would be-- gods. That may actually be the worst thing he could do, physically. Force her to live under the crushing guilt of knowing she was the reason her best friend, the love of his life, and a tiny child froze to death in the snow.

She doubted he'd do that.

He seemed principled in that he was merciless to the guilty; but compassionate towards the innocent. It wasn't fair to punish Tadaaki for her transgressions. Even though he was here as a favor on her behalf.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 9:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(It's raining really bad where I am and my dogs are all in a tizzy. I can't find the anti anxiety treats)

"Sir?" Ingrid's voice. He opened his eyes, panting with fear. She was kneeling beside him, a hand on his shoulder. "Gaius, what's happened?"
"Ingrid." His voice was shaking; he cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, I..." He gestured to where the journal was lying. "We need to burn Michael's things. His journals."
She sighed. "Where's Sara?"
"We need to burn them," he insisted. "Ky got to them, she read them--"
"Gaius." Ingrid kept her hand on his shoulder; he was trembling. "Walk with me." She took his hand and helped him rise.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 9:19 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(nuuuuu that's the absolute worst ;-; )

Fine. That wasn't a likely possibility, but it was an option.

He could lock her in her room. Solitary confinement. But that didn't seem likely, either. He'd know that that punishment wouldn't get to her. Well. It would. But she'd already been planning on spending most of the next year in that room anyhow -- she was only eating and socializing for their benefit, not hers.

So what was the opposite of that? Would he force her to have a babysitter every moment of the day? This was proof she wasn't any more trustworthy than Zander. She'd definitely be watched like a hawk now. And maybe that would be her punishment. Or at least, part of it. Force her to eat every single meal, until she made herself sick. Force her to be around people every moment of the day, waking and sleeping.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 9:25 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Found them. Hopefully they quiet down now. The thunder was cracking right over my head while I was outside and the back porch is flooding)

They walked together out of the library, leaving the journal on the floor. Gaius leaned on Ingrid as she led him toward the infirmary.
"I'm sorry," he mumbled. "We need to burn them. Nobody should read it, nobody can know..."
"We'll talk about this later," Ingrid said gently. "You need some morphine, dear, you're quivering."
"I have to tell Sera what happened," he insisted. "No morphine until I tell her."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 9:31 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Oh gosh that's terrifying. *I* am an anxious mess when it comes to the weather haha glad you found the treats!)

Okay. So that was another option. That one seemed likelier, in that it wasn't actually harmful -- but still would make her utterly miserable. But, then, that would force him to interact with her. And she was certain he didn't want that any more than she did.

Maybe he'd force her to move into the barracks.

That was enough to make her falter for a moment, before resuming her trek. That would actually be a fair punishment. Take away her privacy. Make her live in absolute terror every moment of the day, even though she was safe. Get her beaten black and blue daily in the name of training.

...would she suggest that one if he made her pick? She'd need to consider it.

Aleth did that sometimes. Force her to pick her own punishment. It never ended well for her. Never. If she didn't pick something severe enough, then he'd just add her idea on top of whatever he already wanted to do. And she hated having to give him ideas. But. Well. Sometimes she didn't have a choice. Would Gaius play that psychological warfare with her?

Perhaps.

He seemed intent on forcing her to participate in her own humiliation.

And she couldn't blame him. Not one bit.

But it meant she couldn't rule out the possibility of him forcing her to participate in thinking up creative ways to punish herself.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 9:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I don't mind the weather but I would love it if my Keeshond and my blue heeler mix would stop barking st the top of their lungs. Keeshonds have the worst freaking bark, it's so loud)
(Ky really be thinking Gaius is Michael huh)

(Wanna skip to Sera knocking on Ky's door?)

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 9:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(oof yeah that's fair haha)
(Poor kid is just reverting to trauma baby so hard -- utterly terrified of having pissed someone as cold and calculated as Gaius off especially given his massive amount of resources lol)
(and sure! I had a mini scene idea for her and Tadaaki but I'll just put this here and we can skip then!)

Ky kept thinking through the options. She was barred from the library, obviously. She wouldn't be getting any sorts of lessons or instruction, unless he wanted to force them upon her as a punishment rather than giving her the option as a privilege. He could take everything she owned. But that wouldn't bother her. It's not like she was used to having anything until the past few months. The only thing that would bother her was--

Her hand curled around her pendant.

He wouldn't... he wouldn't... would he? Aleth made her watch him burn the singular possession she'd had when he took her. That would be... beyond cruel of Gaius to do. She didn't want to think him capable of it. But she damn sure wasn't going to take any chances. She didn't know how personal of an offense he was going to take her actions to know what he'd think was appropriate retaliation.

She knocked briskly on Tadaaki's door.

“It's open!"

She pushed the door open.

He was sitting by the hearth with Tasia in his lap and Aashi sitting in front of them. He stood up almost instantly when he saw her. "What's happened?"

She glanced at Aashi, then stepped back into the hall silently.

Tadaaki's stomach lurched. He followed her out quickly, shutting the door behind him. What could possibly have Ky this terrified?

"I fucked up," she said quickly, pulling the pendant off and pressing it into his hands. "Bad."

He blinked at her. "...arrest bad?"

"Worse."

He flushed. What in hell could possibly be worse than that? They'd both thought Aleth would literally kill her for getting arrested. She'd broken her hand, collarbone, and two ribs when that happened and was in peril of much worse for many months after that.

Tadaaki took the pendant, looking down at it in concern. It must be very, very bad for her to be parting with this willingly. "What happened?"

"I read Michael's journals. I know I shouldn't have, but I did."

"Gods!"

"I know," she huffed. "I... don't have any idea whatsoever what's going to happen now. Not a single idea. Please keep this from him if you can, but if he starts threatening you then just..." She swallowed hard. "Hand it over. Don't get in trouble on my behalf. I don't... don't think he'd do anything to it. But..." Her voice broke.

"You're gonna be okay." Tadaaki wrapped her in a tight hug.

"I'll... be what I am." She returned the hug tightly, but then pushed him away and stepped towards her door. "Try to stay out of sight as much as you can; maybe he'll forget you're here until he calms down. And for godsakes keep Aashi away from him."

Tadaaaki nodded.

"I..." she sighed and rubbed her face. "I need to go. I was told to wait in my room. We need to get out of the hall. Do not try to interfere in any way whatsoever. He can't hurt me; you have no such guarantee. Think about Aashi and Tasia. Not me. I made this bed and I'm going to lie in it, alone. Just... stay out of the way."

Tadaaki looked at her, anguished.

"It'll be what it is," she said tersely, turning towards her room. "See you on the other side, I guess."

She went to her room and hid the box from Papa in the very back corner of the highest shelf in her closet, hoping that, if this was to be her punishment, then he'd forget about that when he stripped her from the other gifts. Then she paced in anguished silence, still trying to imagine what was going to happen.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 11:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I'm gonna cry homie this poor kid)

Sera knocked on her door about half an hour later.

(Also sorry I haven't been on; I'm not gonna be on a whole lot til this evening cuz I've elected to make dinner for my family)

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(haha all good! whatcha making?)
(and yeahhh haha)

Ky had concluded that she was most definitely barred from basically anywhere but the dining hall and possibly the grove and a parlor or two. No library. No artifacts. Obviously. She'd also decided they were definitely going to confiscate all her gifts; no point in barring her from the library if they left her with all the books she'd brought with her.

She decided to preemptively prepare for that. It'd be less humiliating if it was ready for them to take than to watch them pluck it from around her room themselves. She had the books and puzzles and her sword and armor and tea set and necklace from the king piled up next to her door. Ready to go. Hoping to god he wouldn't notice the box and pendant were missing.

She was simultaneously more agitated and calmer than she'd been in the library. She had time to breathe. Accept her fate. Even though she stewed in her silent hell as she paced and got in her head about what Aleth would have done to her and what Gaius could do, if he so chose.

And then the knock.

She took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and set her jaw, then strode to the door. She made sure her expression was impassive as she opened the door. She blinked as she saw Sera, glancing over her shoulder for Gaius. This was not the disciplinarian she was expecting.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 11:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sheet pan teriyaki chicken!! My grandma got me a cookbook for my birthday in preparation for me moving to an apartment so I figured I'd practice some recipes over the summer.)

"Hello, Ky." She offered a wan smile. "How are you? May I come in?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 11:33 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(aww nice! That's awesome!)

Ky nodded and stepped further into the room silently, backward so that she stayed facing Sera by instinct, and folding her hands in front of her. What did this mean? She didn't know. But she supposed she'd find out soon enough.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 11:46 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I'm very excited; I like cooking and I've teriyaki.)

Sera stepped in and sat down in one of the chairs. "Have a seat, please."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 11:50 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Very nice! I absolutely hate cooking but this reminds me I have left overs from a few days ago that I can in fact go heat up to eat so I do not have to choose between hunger and cooking like I've been doing the past two hours lol)

Ky gently closed the door behind her, still surprised that Sera of all people was the one sent to discipline her. Perhaps she had a harsher side than she'd ever shown to Ky yet. Or... she didn't know. But she'd have thought Gaius would want to personally yell at her or that he would have sent someone brawny if it were to be a physical punishment. Not Sera. On either account.

She obediently sat down across from her, back straight and shoulders squared. Her expression was neutral but there was a hint of fear in her eyes that she couldn't quite shake.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Ooh yummy)

Sera studied her, frowning. "Ky, dear, I'm not going to flog you for reading a journal. Why are you afraid of me?"

she/her

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni