z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 5)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(No he definitely needs one)

"So...what, you were out here all night?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:30 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I don’t know.” She shrugged, wishing she could tell him, but she couldn’t. “Thinking, I guess.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:32 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Was she completely mad? Predators aside, it was freezing out here. "You could easily have died," he said, trying not to scold, trying to sound patient. "And the guard only just set this fire up; I heard him talk to you. You were returning?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:34 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I didn’t think you’d hear him,” she said lamely, not actually answering the question.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I sleep light and wake early," he replied. "Where did you go, if you never went to bed? The nearest village is four days out on foot."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I didn’t go to a village,” she said, even though he’d literally just said that he was impossible to have done so. She hesitated, realizing he was gonna keep pushing if she didn’t give at least a partial answer. “I don’t know. A walk, I guess… I came back before anyone woke up, though. So it’s fine.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"How long of a walk, and why? The likelihood of your survival would have plummeted the second you stepped out of the camp." He pointed upward. "The trees are never empty. They've moved on from this spot, but they're hanging around on the outskirts waiting for us to leave. The spiders."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:46 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She shivered at that, contemplating the thought of getting strung up in a spider web somewhere. Did northern spiders even have webs? She still had very little concept of what these spiders were like. She just imagined a normal spider, but a lot bigger and iron, she guessed.

“I don’t know,” she muttered again, shrugging. Plausible deniability was easier to maintain than a proper lie that could be fact checked.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:48 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It wasn't wise, for someone who's decided she wants to live. Will it happen again?" His pale eyes were fixed intently on her now.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:50 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“No.” She stared into the fire for a long moment before she looked up to meet his gaze, shrinking a little as she did so. “I decided that when I was walking… I won’t do it again.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:55 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Good." Gaius relaxed his gaze slightly. "I'm not riding back to my brother with one of his daughter's bodies in a shroud. It simply won't happen." Her timeline still didn't make sense. He'd heard her return. He knew when she came back. The fires had been put out after the guards went to bed. So she'd been warm somewhere for the past few hours, or she wouldn't be here right now.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:57 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded. It was a reasonable demand.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:59 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You came back shortly before the guard approached you, by the way," he said, deciding to bring it up against his better judgement. "I was awake. As I said, I rise early."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:00 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky looked at him, then back at the fire. It wasn’t a question. He didn’t need her to agree. He was right and they both knew it. “It was a long walk.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:01 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You wouldn't have survived it," Gaius said firmly.

she/her

Some people file their [tax] returns inside of a dead fish.
— John Oliver