z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:25 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"That's incredible," she said admiringly. Maybe she'd be able to make something of herself someday, too. Sure, she'd never be a fearsome warrior or a skilled craftsman. But maybe, if she really tried at it, she'd be able turn her skills into something that people could admire.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:32 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Constance nodded. "You'll be in good hands at Caracal Keep, as will your friend and his family. The Loquiturs are wonderful people."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes, ma'am," Ky answered with a smile. She hadn't even met most of the Loquiturs, but she had no doubt that Caracal Keep was going to be the nearest thing to heaven she'd get in this lifetime. "I'm quite looking forward to it."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Constance rose and stretched. "Well, it was wonderful talking to you properly! I'm afraid my wife is expecting me for lunch in our chambers now. Take care, Ky." She bowed slightly.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:46 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"You too, ma'am." Ky also stood and bowed with a smile. "I hope you have a lovely lunch!"

(should we timeskippy?)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:55 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Almost drifted off for a sec so I'm gonna call it a night. We can time skip, sure!)

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:05 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Sounds good! I'm gonna go to bed soon anyway, but cool ^^ You'll probably be awake before me lol so feel free to timeskip to wherever you want, I'm good for anything ^.^ )

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Let's skip to a little before they arrive at Caracal Keep then and go over to Pratik and Gaius. When did we say Pratik was gonna leave again?)

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:31 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(That sounds good! I think he's planning to leave as soon as the slaver comes by to grab him... also note on Pratik, I am still very much working on developing him, but the more I think about it the more I think he'd have thrown a fit over the notebook and had the same reaction at breakfast, but I don't think he would have opened up to Gaius about it afterward. So I might be a little inconsistent with him when we jump back, fyi, still tryna find his voice, I just think he probably would have kept his cool a bit better since he had the whole night to calm down so gotta play around with that)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(That's fine! The same thing happens when I'm developing someone mid-rp.)
(And sorry for the wait; I had a whole lot to do today. Computer Science is a bitch)

A week after the discussion regarding Pratik's notebook and his role in the war, Gaius's asset arrived.
The man was an Easterner of middle height, with a face so incredibly average it was almost unsettling and long black hair tied back in several braids. His unblinking gray eyes surveyed the Keep courtyard as he and his caravan were guided in, settling on Gaius only when he had taken in everything. Behind him were three guards surrounding two cages full of terrified people from every corner of the continent. They looked on in silence, huddled together in the cramped metal containers.

"My Lord," he said curtly, dismounting and bowing at the waist. "I received your letter."

"Gol Nasa," Gaius replied by way of greeting, inclining his head ever so slightly. "I see you've excepted."

"An offer of a pardon is worth quite a lot from you," Nasa replied, eyes flickering to Pratik. "Is this the mole, then?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:09 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(No worries! I definitely get it lol hope it went okay! ^^)

Pratik had been surprised that Ash let him near his family during meals, but they'd been kept carefully out of reach when Ash wasn't present. Prudent. Pratik had decided that Marcella and Mattathias weren't so terrible, as far as children went. They were clever.

He hadn't pushed his luck with gathering too much information. During the day he wandered around the keep a bit, constantly aware of the swish of a servant vanishing around a corner and the eye of a guard lingering a moment too long. He had no doubt his every move was being reported back to Ash, and he didn't intend to give them anything interesting to report.

Pratik knew fully well he couldn't hide the notebook if he tried to take it with him -- and he was supposed to pretend to be illiterate. So, he left it folded in his clothes in the saddlebags he also had to leave behind, knowing fully well that Ash was probably going to look through it before he returned. Pratik half-hoped Ash would pick up that the last few angry ones were about him, but the rational part of his brain knew it was better if he didn't.

Now, he was standing next to Ash with nothing but the clothes on his back, and the dagger on his arm that had still -- somehow -- not been discovered. He eyed the cages uneasily. No one else on the earth -- aside from Isya -- was worse than a slaver. Complete monsters. Pratik didn't understand how they could look at the people, humans, packed into these cages like chickens on the way to slaughter, and somehow still manage to sleep at night. And, today, he had the added dread of knowing that he was about to willingly climb into that cage himself, and have to take whatever abuse the slavers wanted to deal out to him before they managed to get him to Tarr.

Pratik stood silently, letting Ash take the lead in this situation.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:19 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"This is Aren Presha." Gaius nodded, resting a hand on Pratik's shoulder. They had agreed on the name a few days before; Gaius figured it would be safer not to use his real name with anyone during this time. "You have your orders. Report back to me as soon as he's delivered."

"Of course." Nasa approached slowly, studying Pratik carefully. "Have you ever been a slave, boy?" he asked him.

Gaius looked on in silence. He had let this man slide once before; this was Nasa's payment. In addition, he'd demanded a pardon, which Gaius supposed was fair. This was potentially a life-threatening ploy Nasa was undertaking. Of course, the moment the man returned with whatever slaves were left from the sale at Tarr's he would kill Nasa and free everyone. That was the law of his land, after all. Gaius did not tolerate slavery, and that was that.

(It did go well! I finished pretty much everything. I'm very tired now and I'm going to a fair tomorrow, though, so I'm gonna have to leave ya.)

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(nice! night!)

"No," Pratik answered, feeling his heart flutter a bit in his stomach even though he kept his face impassive.

He'd very nearly gotten snatched by slavers three separate times -- once when he was seven, and only managed to get away by sliding through a gap small enough the fully grown men couldn't follow him. Once when he was twelve and hadn't yet figured out the city he ran to after he killed the soldier, and ended up falling asleep in the part of town where orphaned little boys shouldn't be sleeping. The third was when he was seventeen and had recklessly tried to take on an entire band of slavers to free the slaves.

He'd only narrowly managed to get away that time, and decided it was better to buy the slaves' freedom. It was still benefiting the slavers, which he hated, but it was at least improving a few slaves' lives. And, he often managed to steal the coins back from the slavers, and send the rescued slave on their way with a bit of money to help them along.

He'd rescued nineteen so far -- and had personally accompanied eleven of them back to their homes to be sure they got there safely. A few didn't trust him with that information, which was fair enough. And a few didn't want to go back to wherever it was they'd been taken from, which was also fair. But he did everything he could.

And now.

It was going to take every single speck of his self-control he had not to slaughter the slavers on the trip. He actually could take on a band of them now. And he had no doubt they were going to provoke him, judging from the fact that he was getting called boy in the very first question addressed towards him. But, he'd done worse for a job before.

"But I grew up on the streets," Pratik said. "So, I'm sure I'll manage."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"First rule is no talking. Second is do as you're told. We want to make you worthwhile for Lord Tarr. He likes the quiet ones. You've got to make yourself small, too."

"We've been through this." Gaius glanced at him. "You're not to stay long; you have two hours to rest and then you're on your way to the Tarrs."

Nasa shook his head in disbelief. "My Lord, I've traveled two weeks to get here, and now you're asking that I travel another two weeks without more than two hours of rest in a civilized establishment?"

"May I remind you slavery is illegal in this territory?" Gaius nodded at the cages. "I want you out as soon as possible. You'll have your pardon when you return; I'm not extending further hospitality to the likes of you."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:42 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik had so many conflicting emotions. Disgust at the prospect of becoming a slave. Becoming what this slaver said he must. But, he wasn’t surprised by it. He could be quiet. Submissive. And he was sure he could remember how to make himself small. He’d made a point of never cowering, to anyone, once he became an adult. He was entitled to space in this world same as any nobleman. But, the slaver was right. For this to work he had to be small and submissive and duck his head and do what he was told, like a good little slave.

Pratik watched the interaction between the slaver and Ash and barely hid a smirk. At least there was one thing that he and Ash agreed on: slavers were monstrous and deserved no pity. He was sure it would only make the slavers spiteful when they headed out. But it was satisfying to be next to someone that could make a slaver do what he wanted him to.

Pratik eyed the cages, heart breaking a bit more. He wondered if he’d be able to steal some food from the kitchen that he could slip to the slaves before they left, so that they could each have at least one decent meal today.

[they/he]

You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling