z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"All set."
"I'll fetch the horses," Rickard offered, heading for the stable.
"And I'll fetch ours." Gamla followed.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:15 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky glanced around, feeling like she should be doing something too, but being completely at a loss as to what. She looked at Tomhas for direction.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:24 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas had approached his horse, which the stablehands had brought out alongside a steed for Ky. He was stroking its neck and pressing his face to its nose as he murmured softly to it, suddenly looking very somber.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Turns out you should pull over when digging for change for a toll road… just utterly destroyed my mirror because I hit a roadwork sign)

Ky understood. The bond between a rider and their horse was sacred. She didn’t have that with any horses these days. Yet. But walked over to the horse meant for her and greeted with with a pat to the nose.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh my god seriously?? Are you okay??)

The horse snuffled at her palm, taking a step forward and whickering softly.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:23 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Yeah I’m fine, just angry. I’m morally opposed to toll roads at baseline because like why the fuck should I pay extra for something my taxes already paid for? So usually I route around them, but I’m in a hurry today so I decided to go on one to save half an hour. It said there was a toll booth ahead that was unmanned and you had to pay in exact change via coins so I was digging in my ashtray to get quarters out. Turns out the toll booth wasn’t until like 10 miles ahead and WAS manned, so I paid with a $20 and all of this could have fucking been avoided. But I’ve got a hella long road trip ahead of me and it feels unsafe to be driving without my mirror so I’ve just spent like an hour trying to find a replacement and it’s going to be like $60 and so much for my fucking saved half hour. I’m going to get to my destination way too late)(thankfully tho I glanced up in the nick of time and was able to jerk my wheel so it was just my mirror not the rest of my car or me)

Ky smiled, endeared, and wrapped her arm around its neck in a hug. “What’s your name, precious?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:44 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Ugh. Change is basically obsolete anyway; why on earth do they need coins anymore)

"That's Gertie," Tomhas replied, looking up. He seemed tense now, though he was trying hard to appear relaxed. "She's been around awhile; she knows the ropes well."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:47 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Right? Asinine. I’m just mad at myself. My life turned into a shitshow yesterday and hasn’t stopped since)

Ky squinted at him, noticing. There was clearly something being left unsaid. “…whose is she?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I'm really sorry; I hope this week is better!)

"She's sort of public domain." He approached her and patted her softly. She was definitely an old horse, and she had a lovely roan coat. "When someone doesn't have a horse, she's the first pick." He looked back at his own horse. "And you already know Valiant over there."

(I completely forgot what I named his horse so that's what its name is now)

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Thanks! Me too ;-; )

“Of course.” Ky forced a small, polite smile. She didn’t believe him. Well. Didn’t believe that that was all there was to it, anyway. There was definitely something else. What history was Gertie part of? Did she belong to Septimus? Michael? Maybe Narfi would tell her if she asked. “She’s gorgeous.” She turned back towards her and gave her another pat. “Hello Gertie.”

(Haha valid)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:02 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Rickard and Gamla returned with the horses.
"Everyone ready?" Tomhas asked, glancing anxiously toward the gate.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:03 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yep.” Ky nodded, taking Gertie’s reins and stepping around her side.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:12 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The others mounted up. Tomhas spent another moment staring at the gate, then boosted himself up onto Valiant.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:16 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky watched him, wondering why he suddenly seemed so off. She mounted and started for the gate.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:10 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The guards opened the gate. Gamla rode ahead, and Sera and Rickard followed. Tomhas hesitated.

she/her

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour