z

Young Writers Society

The Hand That Mocked Them

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun May 22, 2022 11:56 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"I've no doubt of his intellect," if he had he wouldn't have bothered with this at all, "I only doubt his judgment, and perhaps his sanity."
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun May 22, 2022 11:57 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

That was absolutely unacceptable. "His sanity and judgement are flawless," Hieronymus said, scandalized. "How could you think otherwise?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

95 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:02 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"He created you," Kivvien said simply. "Every word you have said about his work has done nothing to make him sound sane."

he/they

115 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Just because it isn't often done doesn't mean it isn't innovative and intelligent," he retorted. "Many great geniuses have been called insane in their time, have they not?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

95 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:10 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien shook his head. "I will not try to persuade a dog to admonish its master."

he/they

115 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"If I were a dog I would have no words to defend him. And dogs take far less effort to construct, anyway."

she/her

95 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:18 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"I was not speaking literally, creature."

he/they

115 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:19 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I am fully aware of that; I was merely suggesting you ought not compare two things that could not be more different."

she/her

95 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:22 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"You are more similar to a trained dog than you are to any person I've ever met."

he/they

115 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:27 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Can dogs read and write?" Hieronymus countered. "Can they communicate eloquently and coherently? Can they build their own legs?"

she/her

95 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:31 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"They can't comprehend simple metaphor."

he/they

115 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:33 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I can," he pointed out. "I know when I'm being insulted. You think I want to be despised by society? The law makes it so, but I am the way I am and that can't change."

she/her

95 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 12:35 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"You should never have been created, creature. It hardly matters what you want."

he/they

115 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 1:08 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Hieronymus glared at him, hurt by that. "No. No, I suppose it doesnt." He disappeared back under the burlap, shutting his eyes tightly.

she/her

95 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 1:15 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien enjoyed the following silence. He could almost pretend he wasn't being guided by an alchemical mistake to a madman.

he/they

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey