z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 3)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:14 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I want nothing from you,” Pratik said gently. “I want to offer you whatever kindness I can. To help, if there even is such a way, given the hell you’ve just been through… to offer friendship.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:15 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Everyone wants something," the girl replied. "Men are never kind." She said this as if she was reciting a mantra. "I can only trust myself. What happens to me is none of your business, and I don't want your friendship." She closed her eyes and took a deep, shaky breath. "Even if you do speak my language."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:24 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Men are rarely kind,” Pratik murmured. “I’m a man myself and even I don’t trust the men I meet. I don’t blame you in the least. So many men are so awful and I’m so, so sorry you were…” He hesitated. He wanted to say ‘violated’ but realized he didn’t know the word. Curse his broken language skills. “That the bastard took so much from you. That you had to endure his brutality. It’s not okay. It’s not even remotely okay.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I know that," she muttered, a bit of fire in her voice now. "I don't need your sympathy." She sat up, keeping the blankets up around her to cover herself but maintaining as much distance from Pratik as she could.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:37 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

His eyes traveled to her clothes, partially ripped and on the floor by the foot of her bed. He wasn’t going to ask her if she wanted him to bring them to her. Not yet. He needed to keep his distance.

“Well you have them, regardless.” Pratik said honestly. “Whether I’m here, or in the kitchen, or tied to a block getting lashed by Tarr. I can’t help but to be horrified and enraged to know what he did to you.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:39 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Are you some sort of knight turned slave?" she asked, regarding him critically. "You talk like a story."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I’m not a knight, but I have the blood of rapists on my hands,” Pratik answered honestly. “And I don’t feel the need to wash it off. My hands are thirsty for more.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:45 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"A vigilante, then. What's your name?" She still sounded completely distrustful and stayed far way from him, but her voice was bordering on curious now.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:45 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Aren,” he said. “Aren Presha… and you?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:46 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ada," she said simply.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:48 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“That’s a pretty name,” he murmured, but moved past the compliment quickly. Compliments became gross when lingered on. At least when a man was involved. “Where do you hail from?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:50 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"From the sands," Ada replied. "I belong to the nomads of Akaratara. Where do you come from?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:54 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Pratik longed to be honest.

Actually. He could be half honest, now that he thought of it.

“From the East,” he answered. “I don’t know where. There were a lot of petty squabbling from the rulers down there, and we all got shuffled between different towns to mix us up and be sure there were no plans for an uprising… I live in the North now— lived in the North, I suppose, with my wife and daughter.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Ada gave a small nod of acknowledgement. "Why are you here now?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:01 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Because I’m a greedy fool who never should have gone to the North in the first place.

“I had my wife sell me, to get enough money to ransom my daughter, after kidnappers took her.” He took a deep breath. The story felt disgusting to tell, to someone who had actually been taken.

“… it’s been so much worse than I ever imagined,” he admitted. That much was true. He knew it was going to be a tough assignment when he took it. But he underestimated how much it would weigh on him, to be freezing cold for weeks — approaching months — on end, without ever being allowed to thaw out fully. To be half-starved with no hopes of getting more food. “But my Kyzia needed it, and I did what I did, and that’s that.” For now. “… what’s your story?”

[they/he]

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler