z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 18)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:16 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She was quiet for a long moment, trying to prioritize her questions. There were so many. How was she supposed to narrow it down to just three? This was impossible. She forced herself to take several deep breaths and sit down on the edge of the swing, calming herself and stilling her trembling… somewhat. “…What am I expected to do?”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:24 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He dipped his head. "A fine question. You will act as my messenger, to begin with. If I wish to say something, you will say it for me. Later on when I have awoken you will be my spokesperson."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She nodded hesitantly. It didn’t sound like she had much choice in the matter and she didn’t have the courage to ask to get out of it. “What if… if people… don’t listen? Or get angry? Or-or— wait this is just one question. What I’m asking is… I’m not very big, or strong. And I have assassins coming after me. How do I…?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:35 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Assassins?" His brow furrowed. "They will be taken care of, I promise you that. If people do not listen, you will have the ability to make them listen. This I also promise. My herald will not be ignored."
Last edited by Ljungtroll on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:41 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky’s heart was racing wildly in her gut, but she nodded tightly. She was safe, then. At least from everyone other than the gods themselves. Finally. She swallowed hard, trying to think of how to respond. What was her last question? She was silent for a long, long moment. “Is… is my family safe? All of them — birth and adopted and-and Petrir, too. If he still exists…”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:49 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Those who have joined me are well," he allowed. "Their strings are cut, but they live on in dreams."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:52 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Her entire body relaxed at once as tension rushed out of her shoulders. Papa wasn’t gone forever?! “Can I see him again? Can he come to dreams, too? I-I can see the ghosts up here. Even Michael and Septimus.” She wrinkled her nose. “Can I see my Papa? Please?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Haelar thought for a moment. "There should not be spirits wandering between veils. I have slept too long." He looked down at his chains. "You may see your father, Petrir; I will bring him to the dream for you if you wish. But he will remember you only in the dream, do you understand?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:04 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

”… What?” She didn’t understand at all. “He won’t remember me?”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Thinking and remembering is for the living. He will recall you while he speaks to you, but once he fades he will return to oblivion, where he belongs."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

”…Oh.” That hurt, a little. But at least as long as he remembered her in the moment, that would be enough. She nodded. “Yes, sir.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:08 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I will leave you to speak with him, if you wish." He stood slowly and got off the porch. "He will fade when you wake."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:13 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

”Thank you,” she said earnestly, also standing up.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He nodded and reached into his cloak, pulling out a small marionette after a moment. He dangled it, then tossed the bar to which the strings were attached up into the sky. It grew, then the strings and marionette grew until the strings disappeared. Haelar was gone by the time the marionette had become a person altogether.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:28 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

”Papa!” Ky threw herself at him; sobbing immediately.

He was… so tall now. She couldn’t remember him like this; standing. His wheeled chair nowhere in sight. He seemed stronger, too.

“Ky!” He caught her, hugging her so tightly she couldn’t breathe. Tears streamed down his face too. “Baby girl. I love you… I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” Her voice was breaking as she clung to him for dear life. “I miss you.”

“I know,” he cooed, stroking her hair. “I’m sorry. I’m *so*, so sorry, baby girl. I… I wouldn’t have done it, had I known I had a chance of getting you back. I’m sorry. I… I thought you were gone forever.”

Her sobbing redoubled. “But now you are.”

“No. I’m here with you now.” He pulled her even closer somehow. “… But I’m sorry I can’t be with you there. I never meant to abandon you. I’m so sorry.”

Ky was sobbing too hard to respond. Petrir held her tight, rocking her back and forth, every bit as comforting and protective as he’d been in life.

“Gods, look how big you’ve gotten,” Petrir murmured, stroking her hair. “You’re growing into such a fine young woman.”

She still couldn’t respond.

“My little girl is all grown up and making her Papa proud.”

[they/he]

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl