z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 12)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:09 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Obviously I don't want anything to happen to them," she said defensively. She took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm again. "But it's better to think about it now than after anything -- gods forbid -- happens to them. They said if anything happens to them they want me to take their kids. That is a big responsibility. I can't just agree to be the fun auntie without considering the responsibility that could potentially come with it sometime in the next eighteen years... that's a long time. I haven't been alive for eighteen years. That's like... a lifetime, plus a sixth."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:36 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He nodded. "That's fair. You'll need a steady job, I expect, if it comes to that. Your father could get you one, I'm sure."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded slowly. He was right. She was catastrophizing. Again. It wasn't like Tomhas couldn't afford to feed a few extra kids. He ruled an entire territory; it would be no skin off his back to help Ky if she was thrust into guardianship prematurely. He seemed happy about the idea, even... well... maybe he wasn't thinking about it. Maybe she should have a talk with him to be sure he understood what this meant. She... she hated the idea of having to leave a decision to him after he'd just ruined her life with the decision Gaius left up to him, but... she should defer to his opinion. She was his dependent, after all. It wouldn't be fair for her to volunteer for two dependents of her own without his and Anneke's input.

But then Gaius's words settled a moment later, and she involuntarily wrinkled her nose in disgust. "...that feels gross."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It happens all the time, even if you weren't a noble. Parents secure apprenticeships and careers for their children all the time."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:25 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“…I guess Papa- my father- did set up my apprenticeship with Mister— at the bakery…” she conceded reluctantly. “But…I don’t know… it still feels gross. I don’t want to be like Radoj.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Who?" He glanced at her.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“What?” Ky glanced at him, then belatedly realized that he didn’t know him. Of course he didn’t; why would he? “Oh. He’s the Vice Official. Down in Lutalya, where I used to live with Aleth. His daddy is the Official and made him Vice Official even though he’s terrible and not even a little bit qualified for the position.” Ky flexed her hand subconsciously, not even realizing she was doing it as she remembered how badly her hand had hurt when she broke it on his jaw. How long it’d taken to heal. “… we didn’t get along.” And her beating him up, in a shocking turn of events, didn’t improve that.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(My family just got another dog they're crazy)

"Ah." He nodded. "That's...common, unfortunately. I try not to allow nepotism but sometimes it slips by. Tomhas wouldn't do that sort of thing, surely. He'd find something you're good at or have a family member train you on a low status position."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:28 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Omggg what kind?)

Ky considered for a moment, then nodded. “That’s good… I still don’t want people to think that. I want people to know I’m qualified for my job and didn’t just get it because…” She came from a rich family. What an odd thought. She didn’t come from one, though. But… she now had one. It… was more culture shock she supposed.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(She's an aussiedoodle! 8 weeks old and very very sweet. My other two dogs scare her a bit but they like her a lot!)

"That's fair." He dipped his head. "I'm sure we can figure some way around that."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(That is ADORABLE — what’s her name?)

“Okay.” She nodded. “I… suppose that makes me feel a little better, then.” She hesitated. “…I’m still not sure I’m a good choice for this… but… I guess Tadaaki doesn’t trust many people. So… I mean… I don’t know. I want to be involved in their lives. I just… I don’t know. It makes me anxious.” But, then, everything made her anxious. So what else was new?

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:39 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(It's between Daphne and Daisy I think. My mom is leaning toward Daisy and she's the one that wanted the dog so it's her call)

"It's fair to be anxious. Natural, even," Gaius mused. "But I'm sure you'll be better at it than you think. You seem to be good with kids."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Also adorable — congrats!)

“…I do like kids,” she agreed, reluctant to accept anything that even resembled praise. “They’re very cute.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:07 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Thank you!!)

"And you already know how to interact with them and diffuse arguments."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Bruh I got this diversity award last year through a scientific society I'm part of and part of it is mentoring and I just got off a video call with my mentor and she has me pumped UP. Like... nothing happened xD I'm just in a really good mood. She was super encouraging and helpful and I feel a lot more prepared for any future interviews I have since I'm on the market right now as well as feel much better equipped to negotiate if/when I get an offer)

"I mean..." She waved her hand dismissively. "That's easy. They're simple."

[they/he]

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher