z

Young Writers Society

The Waiting Room

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:01 pm
View Likes
LuminescentAnt says...

Izabella looked up from her book. She pondered the answer to the question. How long had she been here? It felt like forever, but time seemed to move differently in a waiting room, so she wasn't really sure. She had been listening to those two boys for not too long, the guy who sat next to her she had not talked for too long either, and now this new girl had sat down, finally. She regretted not checking the time when she came in. She had checked the time a little while after, and that was about twenty minutes ago. But what was the time in between she arrived and she checked the time?

She was too exhausted already to figure it out, so she answered something that would be half-helpful. "A shorter time than it felt." she answered. That was good enough. It was true, anyway, and it made her sound like a wise person. She would probably get it.

(160 words)
The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they are often not true.
- Abraham Lincoln

LuminescentAnt ~ Lum ~ Ant
(she/her)

224 Reviews

Reviews: 224
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:54 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Raquel said "OK, thanks" to the reading girl sitting next to her. She seemed nice and Raquel wondered what she was waiting for. But Raquel did not want to be too direct, and her nature also held her back, she did not want to get involved in a conversation from which she thought she would get nothing. Raquel did not think she needed the feeling of happiness and joy at the moment. Because when it was her turn to see the doctor, she did not want to get her hopes up in case of bad news.

Raquel was waiting for a doctor, she had been having trouble breathing lately, but she knew she couldn't tell her family. How could she, her father was a drunk and her mother was paralised from the waist down. She was the only one bringing money into the house, even dropping out of university to do it.

Who wants that kind of life, she certainly did not. You do not ask for such a life, you just get it. "Bad luck.” Raquel used to say to herself, "But things will get better. Sometime in the near future.” She still had hope. She wanted Lorenzo, her brother, to succeed in his studies and get his own dream job, not become a waiter like her or a drunk like their father. From the outside she seemed a happy soul with nothing to complain about, but in reality she was broken. She wished she could talk to someone about it, but she could not afford a therapist.

The money she had saved over the past few years was just enough to pay her way into the waiting room. She was so glad that her father had not found out where she kept her money, otherwise he would have gambled it away again and she would have lost it all again. She did not want to come at all, but her severe headache made her come.

Raquel tucked some of her black hair behind her ears as she took out her phone and earpiece again. She went to the message and played the second voicemail she had received from Lorenzo. "Hey Raquecita Margarita Cocktail, it's me again. Enzo.”

Raquel hated the nickname, but Lorenzo insisted on keeping it. He so often annoyed her with it, as he was doing now. She rolled her eyes smiling and kept listening.

“I was just wondering if I could go out with some friends from the football team? Mum said I should ask your permission, I still think it's crazy but here I am asking. So, yeah. If you have an answer can you please text me before seven because they are going out and will be back at eleven. Also sis, I didn't want to tell you this on the phone either, I know you told me I didn't have to get a job, but I did. I applied for a job as a car engineer at the shop around the corner, you know, Jazz Cars. He said he would pay me $20 a day. So I took it. I know you wanted me to concentrate on my studies, but sis, I see you struggling. I know it is hard for you.”

Raquel thought how could he, she had specifically told him to concentrate on his studies. But as she listened to Lorenzo's words, she thought maybe it was time to share the responsibilities, but then she thought he was only nineteen and another voice in her head said yes and you are only three years older. You are not even his mother, you are his sister.

As she listened to the end of the voicemail, she turned on the wifi as there was free wifi and texted him, "Hey Enzo, you can go out with your friends, but be safe. Love you, Raquel."

Lost in thought, she began to cough, quickly taking out a napkin when she saw it again. Blood. She was not dying, was she? No, she couldn't, she had a family to look after and she was too young, she was twenty-one. Panicked thoughts raced through Raquel's mind as she tried to keep her composure. Maybe it's just a little problem, she thought, maybe it's nothing serious. But the sight of blood on the napkin was undeniably disturbing.

As she coughed again, the taste of blood filling her mouth, she took a deep breath and tried to calm her racing mind. I can't panic, she told herself, I have to find out what's happening. Recalling the bits of medical knowledge she had picked up over the years, she wondered if there was a benign explanation for the blood. Perhaps it was the result of a minor irritation or something she had eaten.

She really hoped no-one saw it, what would they think of her? Not that anyone cared, but still. Or did someone, maybe someone cares who knows. But why should they? Everyone would think that by now Raquel would have a boyfriend and be planning a big wedding.

Suddenly she saw the chicken again, the poor creature was looking exhausted as it sought shelter under one of the benches. Raquel thought the poor chicken did not want to be cooked or kept as a pet. She wondered why people did this? You know, keep pets and turn creatures into slaves and food. It is not fair. Humans just come into the universe and play like they are the boss.

But why is that?

916 words

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte