z

Young Writers Society

The Social Month Ball

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:09 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

"Ah, you know of Lord Ajaan?" Lady Evelynn asked, impressed. "Well, his reputation does preceed him. Although, we are not quite the ghost town you think we are. I am sure you have heard of Sir Ivan and his brother Viktor? Both born and raised here. In fact, I recently heard the brothers are coming home after their latest victory at Eleroy."

She paused, realizing she had gotten carried away. As much as she criticised the place, she could not deny the special corner it held in her heart.

"Its not a bad place to be - that is, if you get used to the cold," she finished with a polite smile.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:13 pm
View Likes
Thediffident says...

Keely smiled as soon as she saw another guest make way into their little group. But that smile quickly faltered as soon as everyone started introducing themselves.
How will they react when they find out i'm not a noblewomen? Will they completely disregard me or worse, throw me out of this party with all the amazing food?
Keely's nervousness grew. She started fidgeting a bit and tried to keep her expressions in check as she listened to the guests making conversation.
|Andy|she/her|

They told me all of my cages were mental
So I got wasted like all my potential

Random avatar

Reviews: 52
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:17 pm
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

"Really? The brothers are coming here?" Kecila rubbed her hands together excitedly. "I've heard of their conquests, but I've never gotten to meet them in person...but yeah, it is really cold here. I'm from the city of Gurun, down by the Bayu plains. The mosquitoes there are outrageous--coming here has been a nice break."

659 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:40 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

"Oh you are from the Bayu plains! I had a niece who shifted there after her marriage. And she did complain about the mosquitoes as well. And the rain - she could not stand the rain."

Lady Evelyn's gaze shifted to the only other member of the group who had remained quiet all the while. Her polite smile did not fool Lady Evelyn for her expression resembled that of her daughter's when she broke a vase and hid the pieces under the cupboard.

And maybe it was because of that resemblance that her tone was gentle and polite and not at all accusing when she addressed her.

"And where are you from Miss?"
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

29 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:00 pm
View Likes
Thediffident says...

Keely stiffened and found herself stuttering as she replied,
"Ah h-hello! I'm Keely Dawson. I'm from this area as well but you may not recognise me since this is the first time I was invited to attend such events."
She took a deep breath and continued,
"I-i'm not a noblewomen, just a commoner. One of my friends came across the invite and asked me if I would like to go. I'm sure you need not have to waste your precious time conversing with someone like me. It's fine if you don't want me here. Just stay the word and I'll leave..."
Keely looked down at the carpet and tried her best to keep her breaths in check as she prepared herself for the reply.
|Andy|she/her|

Random avatar

Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:11 pm
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

"No no! Don't leave!" Kecila cried. "I've never really met a commoner before. Plus, you've already demonstrated that you have excellent taste."
She smiled, nodding at the hazelnut muffins.

659 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:18 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Lady Evelynn looked at the young woman fidgeting nervously with the fabric of her skirt and felt sympathy brew deep inside her. She did not care that she was a commoner, although the signs had been in front of her from the beginning - the fidgeting, the doe-like gaze, the guilty expression. She should have made the connection sooner.

"You should not apologize for your presence, Miss Keely. Not now, not ever," she said, her tone gentle but firm. "You say you have an invite and thus you have every right to be here just as we all do. Now, tell me, have you tried the raspberry pies? I have heard they are excellent."

― Margaret Mitchell

29 Reviews

Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:14 am
View Likes
Thediffident says...

Keely looked at the two determined and magnificent noblewomen. She had never expected them to let her stay. Their words surprised Keely and made her heart melt. She suddenly felt at ease and replied with a natural smile,
"Y-yes I have and they are delicious. The both of you should definitely try them!"
|Andy|she/her|

Random avatar

Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:43 am
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

"I'm curious," Kecila muttered, picking a pie from the elaborate tier in the center of the table. "What's it like to be a commoner? I'm sorry if that's insensitive--I haven't been out of the Tui property much. The only reason I'm here is because my father is ill--I was sent in his stead."

29 Reviews

Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:21 am
View Likes
Thediffident says...

"Oh no you're definitely not being insensitive! Ah let's see, being a commoner is practically being insignificant to the society. Even though I may not be as important or in the limelight, I do enjoy my privacy. As Lady Evelynn had said before, this is a small town so I practically know everyone here, the townfolks I mean. There are no security issues for me as well. Even when I walk on the streets late at night, people don't bother me. And even if they do, the townfolks help. The only part that's hard is to make a living. I'm still studying but that part is eventually going to come soon. I do envy the nobles for their wealth and the exotic food..."
Keely picked up a chocolate chip cookie from the table and starting eating it then continued
"but I like being a commoner too. What about you? What's it like being a noblewomen?"
|Andy|she/her|

Random avatar

Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:47 am
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

"Stuffy. And scratchy," Kecila took a bite of her pie, chewing quickly before continuing. "Mother always makes me wear all sorts of frilly outfits, even when we're not going anywhere. I've got a rash on my back from one of the dresses she made me wear--gauze and sweaty safari weather do not go together."
She looked down at her current outfit, from the crooked tie to the shiny dress shoes. She quickly corrected the tie, smoothing it with embarrassment.
"Luckily for me, Glen let me pick out my own clothes for the ball. Mother is staying to tend to father, so I get to explore all on my own."

29 Reviews

Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 am
View Likes
Thediffident says...

"Well, you look stunning. I love your outfit!"
Keely stopped munching on the cookie and then looked at the noblewomen.
"And if you feel uncomfortable with the way you dress at home, why don't you talk to your mother about it? She might understand."
|Andy|she/her|

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:06 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

"Fantastic choice, Ella!" Sir Edward nodded seriously. "While jam is great, there's just something special about butter. That's why there is a Butter Dragon, but no Jam Dragon."
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

980 Reviews

Reviews: 980
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:32 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 says...

Ella hadn’t heard of any of the dragons before, but the Butter Dragon sounded quite powerful.

“The Butter Dragon…when does it appear?”
There’s a little bit of Halloween in all of us…

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:18 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Sir Edward's eyes were bright with joy to discuss his favourite creature in the world. "The Butter Dragon lives all year round on an isle to the west of Toastlandia. The Dragon has magical powers to manipulate butter and their egg when hatched can grant these powers to ordinary humans! It's such a wonderful gift. Just pure fun."
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria