z

Young Writers Society

World War Two

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:45 am
chocoholic says...

I've reached a dead end with my current novel, so I've decided to begin research and planning for another. It's a diary of a girl living in Australia during the second world war. She writes letters to a friend/relative in Engliand. I know a bit about the war, but not loads. If you know anything or any good sites that would be really helpful! Thanks!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:08 am
LowKey says...

I know LOADS....
....about the holocaust part of it.

You'll Die in Singapore by Charles McCormac is a really great book. POW escapes and such. Probably not what you want if you're doing stuff through pen-pals, though.

I know there's someone on this site who has an entire website dedicated to WW2. Can't remember who, though. Sorry.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:11 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, I know quite a bit about the British side of WW2, although next to nothing about the Australian experience of it. So, I'll give you a brief summary of what I know.

* Evacuation/Blitz: During the Blitz the Luftwaffe (German Air Force) bombed London, and many other big cities across the UK, as well as dog-fights with the RAF. Throughout their many attacks, they never managed to take Britain (a fact that most Brits, including myself, will state proudly). Many died as a result of the Blitz. So, because of the Blitz, many London children were evacuated to the country, to places like Wales and, presumably, Scotland, where they would stay with families, and often the children would have a hard time, and hate it.

* Rationing: Due to German blockading of supplies to the British Isles, all Britons had ration books, and had to keep strictly to what they were given, and grow their own vegetables, and stuff. They even drained the moat of the Tower of London in order to provide vegetable patch space. Of course, there was the black market, illegal, which would provide people with more than they should have had. I don't know too much about that.

* Women: They had to work, as the men were out fighting. They worked in factories, making weapons, and in the Women's Land Army, growing food, as well as other things.

Those were the three biggest influences on Britain during the war, and that's very brief. There's loads more you can look up, so I suggest you look here.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes