z

Young Writers Society

WWII Amputee

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:44 am
BrokenSword says...

I've been trying to find common wartime causes of amputation in WWII soldiers, but all I can find are names of people with "leg amputated due to injuries sustained in World War II" and hardly any information after that. What usually caused injuries that required amputation during WWII?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:49 am
Middle Children says...

I don't know the specifics, but I'm guessing most infections bullet wounds ect.
We are the middle children of history.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:51 am
Meep says...

I'm not sure about WWII specifically, but I believe the most common cause of war-time amputation are infected wounds (gangrene, etc.).
I could be wrong, though.

edit: Wikipedia to the rescue. The article on amputation gives a list of common reasons for amputation, among other things. It's not the Encyclopedia Britannic, but it's free.
Of course, it's not WWII-specific, but I think that the reasons would be similar.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:57 am
Snoink says...

Infections --> Gangrene --> non-treatment for a certain amount of time --> required amputation.

Look it up! ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 am
BrokenSword says...

Thanks. I've heard of gangrene, but I've also heard of explosions, fire and whatnot, so I wasn't sure what was most common (or what was even real).

210 Reviews

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:16 pm
Meep says...

... are you talking about amputation for medical reasons (eg: gangrene, etc) or amputations being the injury itself (eg: stepping on land mines, although I'm not sure those were widly used in WWII, if at all)?

Random avatar

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:30 pm
BrokenSword says...

Meep wrote:... are you talking about amputation for medical reasons (eg: gangrene, etc) or amputations being the injury itself (eg: stepping on land mines, although I'm not sure those were widly used in WWII, if at all)?

For injuries. I do know that anti-tank mines were used in WWII, but I wasn't entirely sure if one could just lose a leg if they stepped on one, rather than getting killed altogether.

210 Reviews

Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:16 pm
Meep says...

person + anti-take mine = insta!death, or so I would assume, but I'd bet that a hand grenade could take off a limb without actually killing you. (There's an unpleasant thought.)

Sorry I can't be of more help, most of my WWII-era knowledge is bigger weaponry (eg: airplanes, A-bombs, etc.) I did find a page that detailed a bunch of WWII-era weapons, though.

Random avatar

Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:28 pm
BrokenSword says...

Meep wrote:p
Sorry I can't be of more help, most of my WWII-era knowledge is bigger weaponry (eg: airplanes, A-bombs, etc.) I did find a page that detailed a bunch of WWII-era weapons, though.

Oh, thanks so much :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:51 pm
sabradan says...

Meep wrote:person + anti-take mine = insta!death, or so I would assume, but I'd bet that a hand grenade could take off a limb without actually killing you. (There's an unpleasant thought.)

That is correct. Person+Anti-tank mine=instadeath. Also, while a hand grenade could, theoretically, take off limbs without killing you, odds are if you're close enough to the blast for it to take a limb off, most liikely you're going to be dead. (due to shrapnel, etc)

Some common causes of amputation are:
Bullet wounds
shrapnel
gangrene
shattered bones
etc
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:49 pm
Sean Pendr says...

also in the air force IF yousurvived a plae crash limbs were most likely lost do to the in bending and riping of the aircraft. ugh who wold want to have a story with amputation thats horribly depressing!

Think happy thoughts! rainbows, ponies and fuzzy bunny hugs!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix