z

Young Writers Society

Help for the Gun-Clueless?

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:49 pm
IlluminatedManuscript says...

Several questions for anyone who knows anything about guns, as I have never fired one. :lol: I could and will Google this first one, but any inside information on it would be helpful; What exactly is a sawed-off shotgun and what would one use it for? And second, In an emergency situation, could or would a police officer requisition a firearm from a citizen if they had lost their own? Finally, what types of gun would you have to 'pump' (as in a bad-ass action movie) and can you do it one-handed?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and if anyone else has a gun question, you're welcome to tack it on to mine.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:08 pm
Sureal says...

A sawn-off shotgun is simply that - a shotgun cut down, so that it can be more easily concealed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawn_Off_Shotgun
I wrote the above just for you.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

In an emergency situation, could or would a police officer requisition a firearm from a citizen if they had lost their own?

Only one that is part of the police force can answer this or someone who has a family member in the force can answer this question. I suggest in interviewing a real officer. Prehaps your school can set up one for you.

About the second question, I think you've watched too many action movies. ;) I personally have used mostly hand guns but as a safety issue, I would never "pump" any firearm with one hand because most are hefty. Losing ones grip one-handed, and the possibility of the finger hitting the trigger or safety button, making you vulernable is a stupid and needless mistake. Only a fool would cock any gun one-handed and they are the ones that will receive a blind bullet into the gut due carelessness eventually.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu May 03, 2007 2:19 pm
Twit says...

Sawn off shot gun! Teehee - Valley of Fear...

What type of guns do you want info about? Modern - Hechler and Koch, G11s, G7s or older ones - Martini-Henrys? Lewis gun? Tommy gun? Gatling gun? Perhaps not...

You could read some of Matthew Reilly's books, as his characters always carry an arsenal about with them in their pockets. He does go into some detail about the weapons they use - it's all the modern stuff, with MI5, SEAL teams, that kind of thing.

Anyway, hope this wasn't too unhelpful.

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu May 03, 2007 3:08 pm
View Likes
sabradan says...

A sawn of shotgun, is just that. A shotgun, usually of higher guage, with the barrel sawn down/sawn off. Usually it is done to shorten the barrel to either: a. make it easier to conceal, b. make it deadlier (less of a barrel=more free flight of the pellets as they exit the shell=wider area of damage..pm me for more details if this isnt clear) or c. Both. This is usually one of a few weapons of choice for criminals.

As for two, I cannpt answer that question as I don't know

Three, You would "pump" (the actual term is cock) most weapons, particularly shotguns, and handguns. The only guns I cna think of that you don't cock through a pump-action is rifles, because rifles, you just need to pull back the hammer and they're ready to fire. Could you do it one handed? For some weapons I'm sure you COULD, but I don't think you'd want to, as its overly cumbersome, and dangerous.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:56 pm
Ares says...

A sawed off shotgun is more efffective at close quarters than a regular shotgun.

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight