z

Young Writers Society

Historical Fiction Help?

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:37 am
afamiliarsmile says...

I have an assignment in school to write a historical fiction piece on a specific event that has happened more than 20 years ago. I chose The Titanic. The problem is that I've run dry of ideas. Any ideas or tips?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:42 am
Firestarter says...

Read things about the Titanic. Articles, stories, anything. What happens to me is I will notice an anecdote or small story that will spark something in your head. For example, there might be a story about a man who tried to save other people. You might decide to use him as your base character and the inspiration for your story. So basically just read.

Remember to research thoroughly. There is nothing worse than a badly researched historical piece. It is obvious and painful. Research everything you can. For the Titanic, you obviously need to to know the general events, times of events, what happened, the layout of the ship, the passengers, etc. but you also need to research the time period -- society, espected behaviour, dialogue and so on.

So yeah! Ideas come best from reading, I find.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:44 am
afamiliarsmile says...

Wow, thanks! That really helped a lot :D
"...and in that moment, I swear we were infinite."- Perks of Being a Wallflower

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:06 am
Emerson says...

I don't think this goes here, so I'm moving it to the research section...
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 am
Myth says...

You could also watch a few of the Titanic-based films, even if they aren't accurate you can see how people addressed one another, and also the fashion. Books are also at the top of the list, go research in your library.
.: β‚ͺ :.

'...'

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson