A Brief Guide to Knighthood

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:46 am
View Likes
dragonfphoenix says...

For the fun intro, click the spoiler.
Spoiler! :
A vast field opens before you, beckoning you to go galavanting (am I seriously that old-fashioned? or is Spellcheck just ignorant?) throughout its great expanse. Across the field, a great forest looms. Shadows surround it.
Amidst the limbs of the far trees, a piercing cry careens through the sky, reaching deep within your soul. It is a call for help, a plea for aid and for reviews. It is the wail of a New Work, lost in the wilderness known as the Green Room.
Suddenly, a blast of wind rushes past you. A gallant Knight, clad in polished armor, rides their charger across the plain. Their helm is securely affixed upon their head, their sword strapped to their side and their lance held proudly. Quick on their heels is another Knight, one of their fellow comrades-in-arms. In a whirlwind of dust they vanish into the darkness of the Green Room.
Silence settles across the plain, broken only by the beating of your heart. Then a shrill, feral cry explodes into the sky, and after a cacophony of battle-sounds, all goes quiet once more. The Knights return from the void, their armor dusty but their weapons well worn. Each bears the hide of a slain Review strapped across their saddle, and seated in front of the second Knight is the rescued Work, saved from the terrors of the Green Room.
Strange emotions boil through you (or, perhaps, not so strange, but oddly familiar). You, too, wish to be that Knight, that savior of Works in the dreaded Green Room. As the Knights ride past, you hail them and ask how you may join their ranks. Gladly they point you in the direction of a large stone tower, the landmark of the Great Hall of the Knights. You thank them and head off towards the tower, eager to begin.
When you arrive, the gatekeeper admits you after hearing your cause. With great enthusiasm you are admitted as a Squire, but lo! you find that you do not know where to begin, nor do you understand quite all of the Knights' strange customs. You feel a tap on your shoulder, and you turn. Behind you stands the Town Crier, a grin splitting their jester mask as they hand you a scroll. A red wax seal binds it, and eagerly you break open the parchment...

Many times questions have arisen as to how the Knights operate, how to join them, and what to do once they've been joined. One of the most common questions (beyond Squires' questions about their first ten Green Room reviews) is how to make a Thread, a record of their Review accomplishments. Therefore, to remove all the noxious haze of confusion, this brief guide was constructed.

First off, in order to become a Knight of the Green Room (commonly abbreviated KotGR), you must announce your intent to join the Knights in either the Squires' Dormitory or the Great Hall. It as simple as saying "I wish to join the Knights!" or "I want to be a Knight of the Green Room!"

From there, you should create your log of reviews by clicking this.
Name it whatever you wish. It is yours. You shall name it and it shall be yours and it shall be your log. *Ow! Bad Squishy, bad Squishy!...oh, sorry, I have that Finding Nemo quote stuck in my head*
A good format for noting review sets is to use this:
Code: Select all
[spoiler]1.
10.[/spoiler]

Your reviews are counted towards earning your Badges. But wait! Your log has been created, but you have no reviews!

A common problem that is easily solved. Thus begins the true journey of a Knight. The quest begins by heading into the Green Room to review any work contained therein. A Green Room Review is simply a review that is either the first or second Review a Work receives.
But be careful! Sometimes another Knight or good Samaritan will rescue a Work before you have completed your Review. When this happens, do not be discouraged! This is a rare occurrence, and in fact you may never come across it in your journey as a Knight (Review Days are especially notorious for introducing you to this phenomenon).

So you have headed into the Green Room, and have destroyed a fell beast that threatened a New Work. Great!...now what? Well, your conquest must be noted in your log!

There are two methods (that I've encountered so far) to recording your Green Room Reviews. These methods seem to reflect which style of reviewing you prefer.

The first is the Maata method, which involves documenting each review as it's completed. (Maata is the first five letters of the transliteration for "brand new" in Japanese.) When you complete a Green Room Review, a happy little congratulatory page appears.
:smt031 <- Sadly, nothing like that.

On that page is a white box, and one of the links is labeled "View your message." Right-click that, then select "Copy link address." Then, head to your Review log, click the edit button on the bottom-right-hand side (it looks like a pencil :D ), select which number the review belongs in by clicking that text line, and either press "Ctrl+V" or right click again and select "Paste." Voila! You have recorded a slain Review.

The second method is good for those who prefer to review in long spats. The getry method involves copying the Review links from your profile tab to your Review log. (Getry is the last five letters of the transliteration for "spats" in Russian.)

To log your reviews this way, simply go to your Review tab in your profile, Image then right click on a Green Room Review and select "Copy Link Address." Return to your Review log, click the edit button on the bottom-right-hand side (it looks like a pencil :D ), select which number the review belongs in by clicking that text line, and either press "Ctrl+V" or right click again and select "Paste." Then repeat the process for all of your Green Room reviews. [Shout-out to all Knights: if you know a better/faster/more efficient way to do this, please let me know.]

A quick note on your log. When you note your reviews, it is highly recommended that you assign each review a number, and continue in ascending (1...2...3...Go!) order, without resetting to zero for a new set. For example, when you create a new post to record the reviews for your Sword, it is much easier for both your own purposes and for the admiration of other Knights if you post those as 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15, instead of 1, 2, 3,...
Also, when Knights earn their badges, the count is cumulative, so you don't have to do 15 completely new reviews to earn your Sword. Your first ten Reviews that you did to earn your Knighthood count for both your Knighthood and your Sword...and your Shield, and Helmet, and Horse, and...and on it goes.

And that, my dear Squire, is how one becomes a Knight of the Green Room. [Knights! If I have forgotten anything, shred my wall with comments. Oh,...um, not literally. *dives into bunker and bolts steel hatch*]

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon May 12, 2014 12:22 am
Hannah says...

A BRIEF SET OF HELPFUL LINKS

The Great Hall -- All questions, triumphs, and terrible puns go here.
Information -- This thread includes a memberlist and info on how to get each badge.
Squires' Dormitory -- Not quite a Knight, still raring to socialize? Go here!
Library -- The Knights of the Green Room's own library collection.
The Golden Goose Log -- Who was the first to see the empty horizon?

OFFICIAL ORDERS
Order of the Dragons -- 1 review/week, 10 reviews/month.
The League of the Tortoise -- See details on thread.

BONUS:
Knights of the Green Room -- Old Thread -- Our original headquarters. Nostalgia!

you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye