z

Young Writers Society

The small town of Ludia

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:52 pm
LadyPurple says...

Morada.
Books. Books. Books. That's all I ever saw for days on end. Sometimes people would appear in my library, either for a magic trick or to actually read a book. Some days I'd leave for a few minutes with Thump for food or just to get out.
I had one woman with a few small children gathered around a table expecting a trick. I sprinkled ashes on the cover and opened it, murmuring incantations. Then I moved my hands away and muttered, "Fotheea!"
And fire shot from the pages, flames licking the edges of the book but not burning up the pages nor touching the table it was on. The children’s' eyes grew wide with wonder, but the trick was old to me. I'd done this hundreds of times over.
"You can make the people come out, can't you?" a brown haired boy called from the group. "My friend Dolly said you did once!"
I smiled and said, "Not today. I don't have what I need for that."
The boy stuck out his bottom lip and crossed his arms. I wondered if he thought I could really make the characters come out. It was possible but they'd crawl from the book in miniature form and act out the story. They would not be able to see anyone or anything around them. He, like many others, probably thought they'd emerge and speak to everyone. With some of these books that would be a disaster.
When they left and I put out the flames I made my way to the back room where Thump lay asleep on one of the sofas, snoring. I eased into the seat beside him and sighed. Suddenly his eyes opened and he focused them on me.
“Hey, boy, how was your nap?” I asked, reaching the scratch behind his big brown ears. He responded with a wag of his tail.
“That’s good.” I sighed again. “Are you getting tired of this?”
He lifted his head and stared at me.
“I love the library and all but...it gets old after a while.”
Thump let out a small whine and stood on the sofa, jumping off. He placed his head on my lap, watching me dolefully.
“I have an idea, Thump,” I murmured, petting him. “Let’s leave. You and me. We’ll close up the library and go. Does that sound like fun, boy?”
No reply.
“I take that as a yes.”
Spoiler! :
Post along if you wish!
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 am
Charlie II says...

The Punslinger didn't much like libraries. They were full of books, that's why, and books reminded him of characters, and characters reminded him of how he sometimes felt just like one of those characters in a story.

It was an eerie feeling.

So rather than breaking and entering and causing a scene as he usually would, Charlie waited outside and leaned against the rough stone wall of the library. He was waiting for the witch Morada to come outside and clear out the remaining children from the library before she locked up. Fortunately he didn't have long to wait.

A shaggy brown creature came out of the library on all fours. It looked to Charlie like it was having a rough day because it was panting a lot. Witches these days... Reluctantly he stepped forward to introduce himself.

"Good evening, Morada. I am a living legend known as The Punslinger." Charlie struck a pose. It was legendary. "I would like to request you join me on a quest."

The creature looked up at him. It panted a bit more. Then, without warning, it let out a loud woof. Charlie flinched.

"Actually," said a voice that came from a tall black-haired girl standing behind the creature, "I'm Morada and that is my dog."
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:15 pm
Demeter says...

Demeter

Who was that character striking a pose at the dark graceful-looking woman? It was as if time had frozen - the character had been standing in that exact same position for several minutes now. No doubt he thought it made him look legendary.

Demeter knew that time hadn't frozen, though, because the animal at the woman's feet let its tongue sway in the humid air. And it was swaying a lot.

She was standing behind a tree close enough to see the other three but far enough for them not to see her. She was quite small, and the others were quite big, and she was quite quiet, and the others seemed strong-willed. Except maybe the dog.

She ran her fingers through her hair - and yelped.

I keep forgetting I'm a hedgehog now. Her spikes had stung her quite badly.

Unfortunately, the pain had not only made her yelp, but also stumble forward from behind the tree. And it was too late to hide.

The pose-striking character was now pointing at her with his mouth round from the surprise.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

206 Reviews

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 pm
LadyPurple says...

MoradaWhat a strange guy, I thought, watching him stand still. Why wouldn't he move? Thump sat behind me and panted.
"As you were saying? About a quest?" I wondered.
Then, finally, he moved. His jaw dropped, eyes fixated on a small spiky ball tumbling towards his feet and his finger pointed at it.
"What is the meaning of all of this?" I muttered.

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 am
Charlie II says...

Charlie shrugged and abandoned his best heroic pose. He must be out of practice. Instead he turned to address the witch, the dog and the hedgehog.

"The last time I was in Sanctum City I was approached by a noblewoman -- her name was Countess Tant. Her father, the Count, had died quite recently and she was due to inherit the family estate. But there was something wrong with the Will."

"I don't see how this involves me." Morada sighed. Her patience already wearing thin.

"Shhhhh," said the hedgehog.

"The Will had been written in a made-up language," Charlie continued. "Sanctum City's Chief Justice herself looked at the Will but couldn't interpret it. It was decided that, as Count Tant's wishes were not clearly stated, his sizeable estate would be taken from his daughter and turned into an orphanage."

"Well that doesn't seem so bad," said Morada.

"Shhhhh," said the hedgehog.

"But the Will is being ignored!" Charlie pointed at the witch. "This is where you come in, Morada. I hear you have powers over the written word."

Morada nodded. Her dog rubbed its head against her legs.

"In that case," said Charlie, "I need you to come with me to find out what the Count really wanted."
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

206 Reviews

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:47 pm
LadyPurple says...

Morada
Though I would have liked to say no and let the estate turn into an orphanage, it seemed like a nice change of pace. I had wanted some adventure, hadn't I? Would I really pass it up when it was standing right in front of me?
I looked back for a moment at my locked up library and sighed before locking eyes with the strange man.
"I suppose I could lend you my powers. I'll collect what's needed and we'll be of."
I turned to enter the library again, masking my excitment. I was finally getting out of this book filled prison! Then I felt a pang of guilt. I loved this place. It was never a prison. I just never got out much. Thump tried his best to stay at my heels as I ran back and forth, collecting the items and some provisions I needed and placed them in a bag. Then I threw the bag over my shoulder and put on a calm face before walking out again.

~Rosey Unicorn

Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp