My soul, tranquil

He alone can save
My Jesus, He alone can save

So be still, my heart
Be still and know the power exalted high
Exalt Him now, extol Him now
For He will never leave us
He will never leave us

Copyright © 2011 Timothy David Mitchell.
Spoiler! :
This song came just at the right time for me. I had been having no luck trying to write a new song, as I would only ever come up with a tune and no words. It was starting to become a songwriting drought for me.
I wrote this while working as videographer for the local theatre group when they were performing Beauty And The Beast. I had watched the play 4 times then - twice to get an idea of how to film it, and then filming it twice. Throughout, I was intrigued by two insignificant phrases from two of the songs in the play: “Be still, my heart” and “Trust in me”; two phrases I had grown up around with song wise from growing up in the Christian religion. Inspired to write a song based on the idea of either phrase, I started to tinker on the piano at home (ironically on opening night... during the day) and, after having much trouble, Googled “Be still my heart” for inspiration, with the results coming back to me as the verse from Psalm 46:10: “Be still and know that I am God”. I then wrote the song with references surrounding Psalm 46, and this is the result.
If you wish to hear a sample, please notify me and I will work towards making one.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 pm
thegilliangill says...

Howdy there!

What else can I say but wow?

Lyrics seem to come naturally to you. This was some what amazing.

At first glance I wasn't sure if it was going to work with the extensive use of 'Be still, my heart' but that only made it better. The lyrics sounded calm and soothing and they seemed to flow exceedingly well!

I really enjoyed this

Well done!
~TheGillianGill~

There's a bright light, see it in the distance? It's called your future.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:21 am
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Based on a Psalm?

Instant love.

I've been reading the Bible lately, noticing that much of it is poetry. Not just the Psalms and proverbs, but books like Ecclesiastes, Hosea, Joel.......... I could be wrong, but I got a shiny new Bible, and looking at the format, unless it's the history stuff like Deuteronomy, Genesis, Numbers..... it's poetry. The New Testament, not so much because it's mostly letters, but they quote the poetry of the OT a lot.

But I digress. You made me geek out a little thar. :P

Be still, my heart
Come and see what He’s done
Come, see what God has done
Be still, my heart

Be still, my heart
He makes the struggles cease
His foes bow at His feet
Be still, my heart

Hm. Why did you put the phrase at the beginning and end? I mean, it makes sense..... but it looks funny when the last line of the first stanza and the first line of the second stanza are exactly the same.

Just an observation.

Ahh, this is rather wonderful. It's refreshing.

You know what's good for writing stuff like this? Quiet time. I've been doing a summer internship at the local house of prayer, and we have to spend an allotted time in the prayer room. It's good for cultivating this kind of stuff.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 am
LiesOnLies says...

Hmm...I commend your willingness to write a relgious song. However, I didn't really like this that much because it seemed a bit repetivie with the "Be still my heart" parts. It also seemed to be quite corny to me and I'm sorry if saying that really doesn't sound nice. I'm sure you can create a wonderful song about faith that will be far better than this.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 pm
Kyaira says...

Love this. I think the repetitive aspect of this song is appropriate. I heard this song as played by an acoustic guitar with a gentle voice accompanying it, and it fits perfectly. The words to this song are indeed calming to me, and I'm sure to many others. One thing though -- I'd make each verse longer and add more content. I'm sure you'd have no trouble adding more. All in all, wonderful job!

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:39 pm
Cailey says...

Great job! I just read psalms 46 after reading your poem. Psalms 46:1 is one of my favorite verses. I can only imagine what the music for this song is, but the lyrics, at least, are beautiful. I would love to sing this at Church or youth group, it really is an amazing song. I was so caught up in reading this that I forgot to check for any comments on how you could improve. So, I'm sorry, but I don't have a great review for you... All I can say is I love it.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria