z

Young Writers Society

Ideas and Inspiration!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:33 pm
Rydia says...

It's day one and already I'm struggling for a theme or topic for my poetry so I've decided to create this thread where people may post themes, ideas and pictures to act as inspiration for those of us taking part.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:11 pm
Cade says...

I actually wrote my first poem for NaPoWriMo today after hearing a song on Pandora. Haha. So...listening to music, especially new music, might be inspirational. You could also look through photo albums or look at famous artwork and try to write a story around it.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 am
Leja says...

If you're in trouble, here's a list of semi-random word prompts to jog your creativity. Feel free to add more! ^_^

- the border
- teapot
- recitation
- comics
- returning
- the shoebox
- sit
- pertinence
- lines
- belfries
- radio
- internal
- arrive
- monologue
- space

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:58 am
MidnightVampire says...

Wait... do they all have to be on one topic... I'm terrible confuzzled.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:05 am
omgafilangi says...

I didn't even know today started NaPoWriMo but randomly I went outside, sat for awhile, and wrote a few poems. Nature has just always inspired me, maybe it will inspire you too? I don't know, usually poems just kind of happen for me...... (lets see where I am in a week, I'll probably be WAY behind =P )
NaPoWriMo

The purpose of life is to fight maturity
-Dick Werthimer

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:19 am
Meshugenah says...

Song lyrics are good start or end lines, I've found! Try that, or we can all keep throwing around topic ideas -- we're all bound to like at least one!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:41 am
Cade says...

Midnight Vampire - no, they don't. They can be about anything! We're just offering some suggestions. :D
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:22 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

What I've done in the first two is try to take the ugly drudgery of my life and turn it into something a bit more palatable. My first is about bagging groceries, and my second's a spinoff of a story I read for my outside reading in Spanish last week. I'll probably keep doing that, since isn't that, in essence, what poems try to do? My opinion: You have a life. Try picking it apart and examining it. Who knows? You might find something interesting.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:45 am
PenguinAttack says...

I pouncehuggled a friend of mine and made her spout of a list of random topics, sentences, quotes etc for me to use. Of which I now have a nice list.

If anyone gets stuck, I'm all up for posting a couple, or all, for you to work with. ^^

Also, music is teh roxxor. ^^

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:19 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

It's weird. For me poetry is usually a visceral thing, I just sit down at my computer or with a pen and paper and just vomit words all over the place. Or, it comes out of something I've heard or read, and then I use that phrase that I've found as a starting point for the word vomit.

:D

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:06 pm
KailaMarie says...

I tend to write poetry better when I'm writing with paper rather than on the computer. It tends to flow better for me. Try getting a new notebook or something. That always makes me feel inspired.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:10 am
Ross says...

I'm wondering if song lyrics count as poetry.

Do they?
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:39 am
Rydia says...

That's up to you. Technically no but it's your NaPo so count them if you so desire ^^
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm
Calligraphy says...

I get a lot of inspiration from old photographs.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:35 pm
misstoria says...

What i'm reading always inspires me. My last NaPo poem was about the book i'm reading. I also recomend watching a good movie, that can always give youa good starting point.
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

Don't gobblefunk around with words.
— Roald Dahl