and get it right from time to time.
Often though, it seems they can't
and settle for imperfect slant.
The reader then must pause and wonder
was it planned or was it blunder?
If the former, great applause.
If the latter, that's just how it goes.

=)

Nice work. I especially appreciate #3, 5 and 6.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:14 am
Poor Imp says...

To Nine--

Oy, the alliteration is deft--not too heavy nor cheap, it seems to drop from one line to the next.

Something in 'rich funeral' sounds odd. Perhaps 'tis the image, or merely that the sound of the adjective strikes the ear oddly.

(I'm bloody glad NaPo got you to write poetry again, Jack. ^_^)

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:53 am
Sythe says...

#9 number nine

with words as pale as moonlight
he paints a paradox so pretty,
they worship the perplexity
and fail to see the funeral
so rich and dead before their eyes.

Awwwh. That's so pretty. I've noticed that a lot of good poems are short adn to the point. This is one of them. The only critique i can offer is the second line. The comma makes a pause, and it didn't fit right for me.

Good job!!!

:Sythe:

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:11 pm
Rydia says...

April 1: I agree that the rhyme in that second stanza is off, also, I think you should add an extra line so that it's four in length like the others. I love how you've used the double meaning of 'Spring' in your third stanza and your imagery is lovely. However, the end is a little weak and it wouldn't hurt to cut a few of the sophisticated words.

April 2:
an invisibility, a debris, a long-lost would-be
The theme for this one is not original but your words and wonderful imagery generally are. I love the simplicity of your first line and how, at the same time, it's both beautiful and meaningful and really introduces the poem. I think stanza to is my favourite though I'm not so sure about the last line.

April 3: Very pretty imagery, particularly in that first and fourth stanzas. I love all the colours and the atmosphere of this one, it's really great.

April 4: I had to read this one two or three times to gather meaning from it. The meaning is there and strong but I found it hard to locate behind your vague meanderings. That's not necessarily a bad things. I'm sure that those of sharper wits would understand it in the first instance but I have to agree that some visual images would improve it.

April 5: It was a little plain and simple compared to your usual work but the wit of it amused me and I think the idea behind it was good. Now, if you extended it and went into more detail about structures, not just in writing but in other aspects of life, I think you could build a stronger arguement and therefore, poem.

April 6:
but I do not know wherefrom
Just thought I'd point the missing space out. I think this one is my least favourite so far though the use of rhyme was nice and I did quite like the final couplet.

April 7: This one starts of with great strength but I felt that the ending was a little weak. The structure of the first stanza is wonderful, very clever, but there's something about the last line of stanza one that's a little jerky. I think line one of the third stanza is a touch out of tone with 'sweet way'. In general though, it's good.

April 8: I found the blunt end of this to be a little surprising, in a good way though and generally I found the imagery weaker than in some of your earlier NaPo's but it's good. I think my favourite part has to be the ambiguity of the last line of stanza two.

April 9: It's simple and pretty. Nothing particularly amazing but I like it. Good work.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 pm
Incandescence says...

*cracks whip*
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 am
Poor Imp says...

Oy, Jack...where then has the poetic output gone to?

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate