Young Writers Society

BLESS THE CIRCLE OF LIFE [but don't dare speak of the dead]

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon May 01, 2023 1:38 am
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

Spoiler! :
I gotta say I've loved all your poetry this month but 17 is just so vibrant! I especially loved
biscuit paint chips drop to the floor as my nails drill through wet grime and weathered paper.

I can feel that and I hate it! It's such powerful imagery!
You did such a great job this month! <3
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon May 01, 2023 3:47 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Spoiler! :
Okay I've been really bad at reading other people's threads, but obviously after your effusive review of mine, I had to come see what you wrote and I am blown away. I love the aesthetics of the cover imagery and the wording is gorgeous. My favorites are probably #1, #12, and the last one. Great job! <3
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed May 03, 2023 3:23 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
E, your thread is impeccable. All these gritty / evocative images and interesting formatting and the poetry is lovely too - it's just such an absolute treat to read through, and you can return to these types of poems again and again and again because there's so many images and layers.

I love that you squeezed the YWS Iconic Dishwasher Poetry Genre in there. That made me chuckle. The poem itself though is very good and certainly not a joke - love that powerful final line "but I am strong enough to love." <3

In death chase - > at first I misread it to be that the speaker was moving their own body into the sack and tossing it away, and then re-read more closely to see that was not the case - but I think that there is still sort of a feeling of the speaker encountering not just death of the "other" (or in this case a pigeon) but encountering Death as like a state of being. Really interesting, and you describe that stomach-lurch feeling of encountering a dead-body really well too.

"my love is little, but so loud." (!!) love love love that line. A lot of your poems have this soft defiant feeling to them and then just this sort of revelation over the gore / death of bodies and brokenness, and how that can link to love.

One of my other favorite turns in your thread were these lines from poem 7:
i dare not die like you /
i turn in my grave like its a bed

I loved the themes you explored and the links between the poems with the different burial images and uncovering. There's a lot of depth and I could read a whole book of your poetry. Congratulations on such a lovely thread - and also thank you for spreading so much joy and encouragement this April. We are so lucky to have you on the site and in our poetry community.

you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena